Default ot, Are xterra's any good? (Looking for a vehicle).

Mar 24, 5:46 am show options

Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
From: - Find messages by this author
Date: 24 Mar 2005 05:46:09 -0800
Subject: Is the xterra reliable?
original | Remove | Report Abuse

I am looking for a small suv that does not do too bad on gas mileage
and is very reliable. I currently drive a 89 f150 that gets less than
14 miles to the gallon. I drive about 50 miles a day by myself but what

like the capability to carry the family of 4 occassionally. I also want

a 4 wheel drive.

Been looking at used vehicles and found a 2000 xterra with about 77,000

miles. Are these reliable? Are they decent on gas?

I have also looked at a Grand Cherokee which I loved but when I look at

reliability info it scares me:

http://autos.msn.com/research/=ADvip...3D3=AD179&src=
=3Dvip

I would like to be able to haul a trailer occassionally when I need to.

Any advice?

Hi.
I can reply that my 2 sons, each have an Xterra, and love them. They
have had them for 2 years, at least. Both drive them on highway and off
road. One lives in Portland and the other in LA area. Off road includes
desert, mountains, snow, etc.

To my knowledge neither has had any trouble with them and both had
Jeeps and got rid of them because of constant breakdowns.

My vote is for the Xterra. Of course, if International still made
Scouts, I would have one of them again!

Paul

wrote:
Mar 24, 5:46 am show options

Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
From: - Find messages by this author
Date: 24 Mar 2005 05:46:09 -0800
[...]

=20
=20
=20
Any advice?

For that matter, I would still buy a Ford Bronco XLT, if Ford still
made them! The Bronco provides enough driver space to be comfortable
on long trips, and when needed pulls my 5,000-lb sailboat trailer like
it isn't even there.

My 1990 Bronco now sits in my garage awaiting only body cancer repairs
(2 doors and 2 new rear quarter-panels). It still gets close to 21-MPG
on long trips, and 90,000 miles to a set of tires and brake linings.
Then too, I've always operated it gently, rather than driving it to its
limits.

Other than the above, the Bronco still is in great shape after nearly
15 years of use and 230,000 miles with virtually no major repairs other
than an alternator covered under its new car warranty. I believe that
the secret to long, reliable life for a vechicle is to purchase it new,
so that you are aware of its history and driving conditions, then to
stay on top of its maintenance and upkeep. When you purchase a used
vehicle of any kind, you risk buying something that has been beat on
and abused by its previous owner -- and you often get a time-bomb
simply waiting to have serious mechanical problems.

If you are one of those drivers that really beat on a vehicle, push it
to its limits on a daily basis, nothing that you can purchase today
will satisfy you on a reliability basis and it will likely turn into a
junker in 5 years or less.

Harry C.

TT

Whatever you do, don't get one with a 4 banger.

The Xterra is 4000lbs approx and the 4 banger engine in the base model is
just way too underpowered.

-Tom

wrote in message
oups.com...