Wayne Cook

Default One very big grinder!

On 24 Mar 2005 12:28:11 GMT, Ignoramus5106

That's a much newer version of the grinder I have. Mines direct
drive off a large special made motor and doesn't have guards but is
otherwise nearly the same.

If somebody is interested in this grinder keep in mind that grinding
wheels are very hard to find for it. If you do find them they're
rather expensive.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook

From the description of the feed it was most likely used to square up
stock.

ATP*

"Wayne Cook" wrote in message
On 24 Mar 2005 12:28:11 GMT, Ignoramus5106

That's a much newer version of the grinder I have. Mines direct
drive off a large special made motor and doesn't have guards but is
otherwise nearly the same.

Isn't that kind of scary?

Daniel A. Mitchell

Ignoramus5106 wrote:

This one is set up as a face grinder, like a giant 'carbide grinder'.

I once saw a few at the local state-run fedral surplus outlet that were
about 50% larger than this, but conventional edge grinders, just like
huge bench grinders. The motor was integral with the spindle, just like
a bench grinder, and the pedestal was integral with the motor housing.
The wheels were about two feet in diameter and about 5 inches across the
face. I can't imagine what the things must have weighed.

Dan Mitchell
============
Daniel A. Mitchell

Ignoramus5106 wrote:

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 08:44:12 -0600, Wayne Cook wrote:

On 24 Mar 2005 12:28:11 GMT, Ignoramus5106

That's a much newer version of the grinder I have. Mines direct
drive off a large special made motor and doesn't have guards but is
otherwise nearly the same.

If somebody is interested in this grinder keep in mind that grinding
wheels are very hard to find for it. If you do find them they're
rather expensive.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook

Wayne, what kinds of things would people grind with such large
grinders?

I don't know for sure, but I suspect for sharpening large cutting tools
as used in very large lathes and planers. Also for grinding large
castings, removing molding sprues, and such. The ones I mentioned in my
earlier post had more-or less normal wheel guards and tool rests. They
were exactly like HUGE bench grinders.

Dan Mitchell
============

Wayne Cook

On 24 Mar 2005 14:51:45 GMT, Ignoramus5106
wrote:

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 08:44:12 -0600, Wayne Cook wrote:
On 24 Mar 2005 12:28:11 GMT, Ignoramus5106

That's a much newer version of the grinder I have. Mines direct
drive off a large special made motor and doesn't have guards but is
otherwise nearly the same.

If somebody is interested in this grinder keep in mind that grinding
wheels are very hard to find for it. If you do find them they're
rather expensive.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook

Wayne, what kinds of things would people grind with such large
grinders?

I guess it depends on what you need. They can be used to true up a
angle or square cut on a piece. If you set up the sliding table
properly you could get very accurate grinds on the ends of pieces. But
I've not even got the sliding table installed on mine right now since
I've only got one wheel. Mine only had one sliding table and the other
table is plain which is what I use. My main use it to dress up larger
flat surfaces such as when I make a flame cut on 2" plate or the like.
It works pretty good if you're wanting to make a reasonably flat
surface in a hurry. The biggest problem is the wheel that I've got is
to soft and wears to fast and unevenly so I have to dress it flat to
often. I don't use it very much because of this. My machine came from
my former employer and he told me that the last wheels he got for it
where custom made and cost like $500 each. But then mine has 18"
wheels and the one in the auction looks like it might be a little
smaller.

My plan is to someday make a plate to bolt to the original back
plate on which I can mount some 20" sanding discs. At least these
would stay flat and true.

Lets see if I can find a picture of mine.

Ok here's a really old shot that I took when it was still at my
former employers. It's not very good. I took these with a film camera
and had them do scans when they developed the film. I wasn't happy
with the quality of them.

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...C_Grinders.jpg

You can see it in my shop in the left of this pic.

http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/...xtension01.jpg

and the back ground of this one

http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/...xtension01.jpg

Here's a slightly better shot.

http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/...xtension10.jpg

That seems to be the only shots I've got online at the moment.

Mine was made by the US Electrical Tool Company and has a 7 1/2HP
1200rpm motor on it. The grinder just to the left is a old home made
one from my former employer and then to the left of that is another
pedestal grinder from the same company as the big one.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook
Wayne Cook

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 10:55:10 -0500, "ATP*" wrote:

"Wayne Cook" wrote in message
.. .
On 24 Mar 2005 12:28:11 GMT, Ignoramus5106

That's a much newer version of the grinder I have. Mines direct
drive off a large special made motor and doesn't have guards but is
otherwise nearly the same.

Isn't that kind of scary?

It's not something you want to play around with that's for sure.
There's been more people hurt by it with it turned off than with it
running. When running you really respect it and thus take do care.
However my former employer told of several people who had fingers run
between the table and the wheel when it was off. This is because it's
almost irresistible to some people to spin the wheel when they see it
and the mass is more than enough to put some real hurt into you if you
get something caught. I can't remember how many people I've told to
not spin the wheel because it was dangerous and they still keep doing
it after me repeating not to a dozen times over.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook
ATP*

"Wayne Cook" wrote in message
On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 10:55:10 -0500, "ATP*" wrote:

"Wayne Cook" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I was thinking about the possibility of the wheel coming apart at high
speed.

Wayne Cook

On 24 Mar 2005 19:25:11 GMT, Ignoramus5106
wrote:

Wayne,

You have a very serious shop! I am most impressed.

Thanks.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook
Wayne Cook

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 17:04:47 -0500, "ATP*" wrote:

.. .

"Wayne Cook" wrote in message
[...]

In truth I'm not to worried about that in this case. It isn't just
one big unsupported stone. There's a metal backing plate the same size
as the wheel which has a lot of bolts going into the wheel from the
center all the way out to the edge. I'd have to go out and count but
I'm pretty sure there's more than 20 of them.

Another thing is the fact that you stand to the side of the wheel
when you use this type of grinder.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook

carl mciver

"Daniel A. Mitchell" wrote in message
| Ignoramus5106 wrote:

| This one is set up as a face grinder, like a giant 'carbide grinder'.
|
| I once saw a few at the local state-run fedral surplus outlet that were
| about 50% larger than this, but conventional edge grinders, just like
| huge bench grinders. The motor was integral with the spindle, just like
| a bench grinder, and the pedestal was integral with the motor housing.
| The wheels were about two feet in diameter and about 5 inches across the
| face. I can't imagine what the things must have weighed.
|
| Dan Mitchell

I apprenticed to this fellow in high school and he had no normal sized
bench grinder. His was a monster, with wheels about six
inches across. It had no motor starter to get it going, so we had to get it
moving by fingers in the opening, then when moving a
decent bit we'd hit the switch. Shop lights would dim for a few minutes
while it came up to speed, and when we turned it off it
would take almost an hour to coast to a stop. I truly was scared of that
thing.