Greg O

Default What can this hydraulic pump be used for?

"Ignoramus27209" wrote in message
I know very little about hydraulics. This pump has very many
connectors and also an actuator. I am confused as to what it may
possibly do. The original cost is over $8,000.00. It looks to be in a
pretty sharp condition.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/milsurp/hydraulic-pump/

Any ideas? Is it usable in civilian life?

thanks

It looks to me to be a hydrostatic drive pump, or in other words a variable
displacement piston pump. What it was for, or what it could be used for now
is any one's guess. Without knowing the specifics of the pump it is hard to
know what can be done with it. It may take some serious horsepower to run
it, or maybe not.
Greg

carl mciver

"Ignoramus27209" wrote in message
| I know very little about hydraulics. This pump has very many
| connectors and also an actuator. I am confused as to what it may
| possibly do. The original cost is over $8,000.00. It looks to be in a
| pretty sharp condition.
|
| http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/milsurp/hydraulic-pump/
|
| Any ideas? Is it usable in civilian life?
|
| thanks

I'll take a stab at it. The actuator engages the pump drive, so that
the pump can be started and run remotely by electrics. That means the gear
box is constantly in motion, not like a drive that can be disconnected, but
more like a turbine engine gearbox. Perhaps this was for a GSE (ground
support equipment) turbine engine? The pump is a two stage pump, with the
first pump being a suction pump and the second stage being a pressure stage.
Most pressure pumps don't suck very well and suction pumps can't pump up
much pressure. The small hose fitting is a drain. I might be wrong because
I can't figure out for sure which fitting does what. There is a low
pressure inlet, which is the large blue hose fitting. The small hose
fitting is a drain, most likely.
Next, I don't think it's a hydraulic pump. I think it's an oil pump for
engine or other machine lubrication. The first stage is the scavenge pump
and the second is the pressure pump. If it were hydraulic the fittings
would be stainless, not aluminum, and the hose fittings would be at least
aluminum AN type fittings.
Usable in civilian life? That's certainly possible. I guess it depends
on what you do, what you need, and how good your imagination is.

I'd see if ebay finds it valuable. Put it in the turbine engine parts
category. If the end use sticker has FAA/PMA on it somewhere, it has
aviation applications.

E MacLean

I did a search on the NATO Stock Number (NSN): see link
http://www.iso-parts.com/Public/Sear...95-01-171-3477

5895 class is for miscellaneous communications equipment and the suppliers
code indicates it from the signals warfare command center.

It could be some kind drive/control unit for an antenna. What type I don't
know.

Someone else can take a shot at it.

"Ignoramus27209" wrote in message
I know very little about hydraulics. This pump has very many
connectors and also an actuator. I am confused as to what it may
possibly do. The original cost is over $8,000.00. It looks to be in a
pretty sharp condition.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/milsurp/hydraulic-pump/

Any ideas? Is it usable in civilian life?

thanks

Sven

"Ignoramus27209" wrote in message
I know very little about hydraulics. This pump has very many
connectors and also an actuator. I am confused as to what it may
possibly do. The original cost is over $8,000.00. It looks to be in a
pretty sharp condition.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/milsurp/hydraulic-pump/

Any ideas? Is it usable in civilian life?

thanks

It looks like a pressure compensated Cessna I used to see on cement mixer
truck trailer axle assemblies. Similar to this one.

http://tinyurl.com/5g279

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...name=hydraulic

They would run up to 4000 psi but pretty small displacement. Yours appear to
be stacked for some special application.
Steve

B.B.

In article ,
Ignoramus27209 wrote:

I know very little about hydraulics. This pump has very many
connectors and also an actuator. I am confused as to what it may
possibly do. The original cost is over $8,000.00. It looks to be in a
pretty sharp condition.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/milsurp/hydraulic-pump/

Any ideas? Is it usable in civilian life?

thanks

Looking at http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/milsurp/h...p/dscf0001.jpg
That's three pumps, the right side is a variable displacement pump,
and can move a lot of horsepower. The left side is likely a fixed
displacement piston pump for implements. In between in a little plate
will (well, should) be a small charge pump to keep the big one full.
That little black elbow at the top of the photo ought to be the charge
pump's intake.
The black box is the actuator to vary the pump's displacement, but
it's an odd way of doing it which I've never seen before. Military
people....
The steel line across the top should be a case drain to let pressure
from the big pump dump to the case of the little one. The fitting
that's obscured behind the actuator at the bottom of the photo on the
left end of the pump should be a case drain back to the reservoir.
The tiny fitting at the back of the pump is just a drain to let out
any oil that gets up behind the valve in the back of the pump. That
valve is likely a relief valve.
That arrangement is used pretty often on personnel lifts, small
excavators, and other self-propelled equipment that only moves around
intermittently. Though they usually use gear pumps as the implement
pump rather than a little piston pump.
You could probably take the implement pump off the back and repurpose
it as a motor. Add a couple of relief valves and replace the actuator
with just a lever and you'd have a spiffy little hydrostatic drive.
Would make a damn nice go cart!
If you play with it, remember that cleanliness is next to godliness
with hydraulics. And hit up Vickers for any info on pressures and
recommended hookup.

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/

Steve Steven

From the NSN, I found this comment in the Army Maintenance Data File (AMDF):
Navy COG: 9Y NAVY-OWNED STOCKS OF MATERIAL MANAGED BY THE ARMY WITHIN THE
ARMY COMMUNICATIONS AND ELECTRONICS MATERIAL READINESS COMMAND. NAVY FLEET
MATERIAL SUPPORT OFFICE.
Which indicates possible Navy owenership of the basic unit.
Steve

"Ignoramus3417" wrote in message
On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 23:36:44 -0600, Greg O wrote:

"Ignoramus27209" wrote in message
I know very little about hydraulics. This pump has very many
connectors and also an actuator. I am confused as to what it may
possibly do. The original cost is over $8,000.00. It looks to be in a
pretty sharp condition.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/milsurp/hydraulic-pump/

Any ideas? Is it usable in civilian life?

thanks

It looks to me to be a hydrostatic drive pump, or in other words a
variable
displacement piston pump.

Yes, that makes sense to me. The federal NSN information says as much,
it is a piston pump with actuator.

What it was for, or what it could be used for now is any one's
guess. Without knowing the specifics of the pump it is hard to know
what can be done with it. It may take some serious horsepower to run
it, or maybe not. Greg

Thank you. I will open up the actuator box to see if the motor is 400
Hz or 60 Hz.