TrailRat

Default Flaring brass tube????

Short simple question. I have some 6 mm wide brass tube (0.5mm wall
thickness) They're to used for an engine mount on a model. I want to
know how to flare the ends. Not a flat washer type but two bell shapes
either end of this tube. Making it 8mm either end.

Many thanks.

TR

Rick

"TrailRat" wrote in message
oups.com...
Short simple question. I have some 6 mm wide brass tube (0.5mm wall
thickness) They're to used for an engine mount on a model. I want to
know how to flare the ends. Not a flat washer type but two bell shapes
either end of this tube. Making it 8mm either end.

Many thanks.

TR

Roll a flare or make a swage tool form on the lathe....

Jeff Wisnia

TrailRat wrote:

Short simple question. I have some 6 mm wide brass tube (0.5mm wall
thickness) They're to used for an engine mount on a model. I want to
know how to flare the ends. Not a flat washer type but two bell shapes
either end of this tube. Making it 8mm either end.

Many thanks.

TR

I'd try annealing the ends first it first by heating them red hot and
letting them cool.

Then, if they are short lengths, just stand them on some kind of "anvil"
and try gently tapping a tapered punch (a nailset maybe?) into the ends.
If they are longer pieces you may have to use some sort of additional
support to keep them from buckling on you.

If a nailset has too much taper, make your own punch, that could be as
simple as hand filing a piece of steel rod while it's spinning in an
electric drill if you don't have any more sophisticated machinery
available. Polish it up while spinning with fine abrasive cloth so the
file scratches don't impede its sliding against the brass.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"
Orrin Iseminger

On 13 Mar 2005 10:44:44 -0800, "TrailRat"
wrote:

Short simple question. I have some 6 mm wide brass tube (0.5mm wall
thickness) They're to used for an engine mount on a model. I want to
know how to flare the ends. Not a flat washer type but two bell shapes
either end of this tube. Making it 8mm either end.

Many thanks.

TR

I had to do the opposite, recently. I had to reduce the diameter of a
brass tube. I'm sure the method I used will just as easily make a
flare.

I annealed the brass and spun it in the lathe; and, using the
technique of metal spinning, forced a smooth steel tool against it,
all the while sweeping the tool along the length of the brass.

It was a very amateurish attempt, but it served my purpose, perfectly.

I would suggest you use a punch as a tool to do this job. You might
be able to think of something better. No matter. Getting it done and
doing it safely is what counts.

Brass will rapidly work harden, so it may be necessary to anneal it,
again, before the desired shape is obtained.

An experienced spinner would shudder to watch the way I did it, but
the important thing is, I got the job done. So can you.

Orrin

rolling a bead on tube ends richard Metalworking 1 February 8th 04 05:55 PM
Tech Review: Victor's (8liners/Genao) Replacement Arcade RGB Monitor Chassis (LONG) Pac-Fan Electronics Repair 22 November 26th 03 12:56 PM
brass brazing with a large propane torch Eric Chang Metalworking 13 November 11th 03 11:06 PM
metal tubes Allan Adler Metalworking 7 September 26th 03 04:30 AM
Re; Tube coping JTMcC Metalworking 0 September 25th 03 12:44 AM