James

Default Drill bit question

Is it OK to insert small drill bits deep into the chuck so that the
flutes are being gripped by the chuck?
Looking for added stiffness as I can't find machine screw bits that
small. 2.5mm & 2.05mm

Thanks
Searcher1

Actually, I think that this procedure puts undo stress on the bit itself
making failure more of a possiblity.

searcher1

Harold and Susan Vordos

"James" wrote in message
Is it OK to insert small drill bits deep into the chuck so that the
flutes are being gripped by the chuck?
Looking for added stiffness as I can't find machine screw bits that
small. 2.5mm & 2.05mm

Thanks

The shanks of (twist) drill bits are soft so that the jaws can indent them
properly so they don't slip when being used. Gripping by the flutes tends
to defeat the purpose, plus you risk chipping the hardened flutes due to
very limited surface area in contact with the jaws. Beyond that, it's not
likely to be much of an issue. I've gripped drill bits by any and all means
necessary to accomplish a necessary end. One thing to your advantage is
that they're not expensive enough to lose any sleep over if you happen to
trash one in the process.

The only real negative in using them gripped that short is that the chips
often enter the body of the chuck instead of discharge before they get to
the chuck. If that's not a problem for you, go for it. With the idea in
mind that you may be offering up the drill as a sacrifice. Maybe not. g

Harold

Anthony

James wrote in news:dpuXd.5181$Ru.2713@okepread06:

Is it OK to insert small drill bits deep into the chuck so that the
flutes are being gripped by the chuck?
Looking for added stiffness as I can't find machine screw bits that
small. 2.5mm & 2.05mm

Thanks

Gurhing makes short-flute drills in diameters down to under a millimeter.
Even carbide if you are so inclined. We use several different sizes
routinely in a high volume production environment.
Example: Carbide 2.0 mm drill will be 30 mm long with 12 mm of flute
length.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
Bob May

When you grab by the flutes, you're grabbing a hardened point on the drill.
Several things happen then. You tend to cut the chuck at that location as
the drill slips which wallers out the chuck and makes it hard to hold other
things.
You also put uneven stress on the drill itself by stressing the flutes
towards each other.
Also, the drill is held off-center by the chuck with the 3 jaws of the chuck
holding the 2 flutes of the drill which also puts stress on the drill itself
with the round end of the drill which makes the drill already stressed and
thus the breaking point is closer to what a properly held drill will break
at.
The drill also doesn't have the flexiging of the shank to help resist shorck
forces that happen when drilling.
There are probably a few other problems with chucking a drill like that but
those above are already enough to not do that practice.

--
Why isn't there an Ozone Hole at the NORTH Pole?

DoN. Nichols

In article dpuXd.5181$Ru.2713@okepread06, James wrote:
Is it OK to insert small drill bits deep into the chuck so that the
flutes are being gripped by the chuck?
Looking for added stiffness as I can't find machine screw bits that
small. 2.5mm & 2.05mm

Hmm ... perhaps you should search under the term "screw machine"
instead of "machine screw". That could improve your chances.

I tried to check MSC's website, but found that they insisted on
cookies, even if I was just verifying that something was stocked.

However, I can assure you that I have bought sets of
number-sized drill bits in screw-machine length, with split points, and
cobalt steel. Those go from #1 through #60, which is smaller than your
smallest requirement, so I see no reason why they should not be available
in metric sizes.

You've gotten several other responses which suggest that it is
not that good an idea to grip on the flutes. If you insist on doing so,
what I would suggest is that you drill a brass sleeve to fit the drill,
and the slit it along one side, so when the chuck grips it, it will
close up on the drill bit -- thus at least protecting the jaws of your
drill chuck, if not the bit itself.

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
jim rozen

In article , DoN. Nichols says...

I tried to check MSC's website, but found that they insisted on
cookies, even if I was just verifying that something was stocked.

Which is one reason that I still keep a copy of the 'big book'
and simply call them on their toll-free number to check price
and availability.

Newark electronics can make a web site that allows stocking
checks, sans cookies - why can't MSC??

Jim

please reply to:
DoN. Nichols

In article ,
jim rozen wrote:
In article , DoN. Nichols says...

I tried to check MSC's website, but found that they insisted on
cookies, even if I was just verifying that something was stocked.

Which is one reason that I still keep a copy of the 'big book'
and simply call them on their toll-free number to check price
and availability.

Yep. I have one as well. But it is quite awkward to both thumb
through the book and to type on this keyboard (which is in my lap) at
the same time. :-)

Newark electronics can make a web site that allows stocking
checks, sans cookies - why can't MSC??

I have sent them an e-mail asking that very question. I've
gotten an auto-response only. And, I've explained how they lost a
possible referral by their cookies policy.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
James

Thanks everyone.
Went on McMaster and found what I was looking for.
THey didn't have metric machine screw length but found the wire gauge
that will work. Ordered a dozen in each size I need.

Thanks again

James wrote:
Is it OK to insert small drill bits deep into the chuck so that the
flutes are being gripped by the chuck?
Looking for added stiffness as I can't find machine screw bits that
small. 2.5mm & 2.05mm

Thanks

Oil Feed Drill Question ATP* Metalworking 5 February 10th 05 03:27 AM
OT - hammer drill newbie question John Manders Woodworking 9 January 27th 05 05:19 PM
QUESTION - Drill loudness J T Woodworking 17 August 28th 04 07:38 PM
Buying a new drill Bruce UK diy 21 June 8th 04 12:41 AM
Bench Top Drill Press That Can Swing Drill Head Jay Chan Woodworking 8 April 4th 04 10:17 PM