Grant Erwin

Default Shop-Vac support/holding arm?

Didn't I see a small kid in one of your pictures? :-)

Google on "dust extractors" or "fume extractors". Wear diapers.

GWE

Ignoramus12015 wrote:

Oftentimes, when I do work that produces dust and such, I wish that
there was a support arm that could be attached to some base and that
would hold shop vac's hose near the workpiece. I have looked, but have
not found anything. Any practical suggestions?

The main reason for looking for it now is that I tried using my air
sander to remove powdercoating from a small UPS and I want to give
sanding my big UPS cabinet a shot. I would like, though, a vacuum hose
to suck at least some dust from the sanding process.

Rex B

Ignoramus12015 wrote:
Oftentimes, when I do work that produces dust and such, I wish that
there was a support arm that could be attached to some base and that
would hold shop vac's hose near the workpiece. I have looked, but have
not found anything. Any practical suggestions?

The main reason for looking for it now is that I tried using my air
sander to remove powdercoating from a small UPS and I want to give
sanding my big UPS cabinet a shot. I would like, though, a vacuum hose
to suck at least some dust from the sanding process.

I would think you could cobble something up in about 15 minutes to do
that. The base and upright from a floor lamp, a sliding clamp with an
arm, ring at the end of arm for the vac hose.....

--
- -
Rex Burkheimer
Jon Danniken

"Ignoramus12015" wrote:
Grant Erwin wrote:
Didn't I see a small kid in one of your pictures? :-)

He is afraid of anything that makes noises.

Buy him a set of sound deadening earmuffs and play airplane pilot with him?

Jon
Al A.

How about a flex arm from a desk lamp? Clamp to the workpiece or on a
suitably heavy base. I've seen soldering fume extractors that are
basically the same thing.

Ignoramus12015 wrote:
Oftentimes, when I do work that produces dust and such, I wish that
there was a support arm that could be attached to some base and that
would hold shop vac's hose near the workpiece.

Kind of like this ?
http://woodworker.com/images/ss/853-770.jpg

I've had one of these. It is really made for a dust collector with 4"
hose, but a good shop vac should suffice/ You can take it and place it
for example, behind a pneumatic Drum and let it pick up the stuff that
wants to fly in the air.

Chris L

Sorry,
I didn't include WHERE it was available.....

http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/search.exe?BP=1

Chris L

Doug White

Ignoramus12015 wrote:

Oftentimes, when I do work that produces dust and such, I wish that
there was a support arm that could be attached to some base and that
would hold shop vac's hose near the workpiece. I have looked, but have
not found anything. Any practical suggestions?

The main reason for looking for it now is that I tried using my air
sander to remove powdercoating from a small UPS and I want to give
sanding my big UPS cabinet a shot. I would like, though, a vacuum hose
to suck at least some dust from the sanding process.

I built one using a combination of parts from a couple sources. You'll
need a set of Loc-Line vacuum hose fittings (Woodcraft Supply sells them,
as do other places). That's a start, but you still need a way to hang
onto it. I use a gooseneck from ShopSmith, their Utility Vacuum
Extension, #555582. This has a small mounting plate that I've bolted to
my mill (one on each side actually), and the gooseneck slips on to the
plate. You could just use the ShopSmith widget to start, but I like the
added reach & the pointy nozzle from Loc-Line. The hardware isn't
exactly cheap, but it works great.

Doug White
steamer

--IIRC there's something on sale in the Woodcraft catalog. Lotsa
this sort of thing on the woodworking side..

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : I want to return to
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : the time before time...