stone

Default making a fixed telescoping pole

I want to make a pipe pole with larger diameter pipe
on the bottom and with a smaller diameter on top.

Is there a way to weld something like this together?

The only way I could think of was to have the smaller
diameter pipe run the entire length and use some sort
of bushing at both ends of the larger diameter. Making
the welds there.

Is there a slick way other than this?

Thanks.

Grant Erwin

stone wrote:

I want to make a pipe pole with larger diameter pipe
on the bottom and with a smaller diameter on top.

Is there a way to weld something like this together?

The only way I could think of was to have the smaller
diameter pipe run the entire length and use some sort
of bushing at both ends of the larger diameter. Making
the welds there.

No sliding, right? Then why not just slide the smaller pole into
the larger pole for as long as you figure you need to, and weld up
a lap joint right around the smaller pipe at the joint? Ideally,
you can find some pipe that just barely doesn't fit into the larger
size (e.g. 3/4" pipe that won't quite fit into 1" pipe, both sch 40)
and you can grind a flat on the 3/4" pipe to fit over the weld and
make it just go in, then it will be pretty tight. If you got a 3/4"
pipe to go in say 6" then it won't be any less resistant to crumpling
in cantilever than it would be if it were completely inside the bigger
pipe. (This just from intuition) - GWE
stone

I was not clear.

I wanted to use something like four inch on the bottom and
two inch on the top, something with a gap. And no sliding.

Thanks.

Richard Ferguson

I worked at a place that did this for big highway signs. They cut holes
in the lower pipe so they could weld the two pipes more than just at the
top of the lower pipe. The pipe diameters were different enough that
they had to weld in spacers on the bottom of the upper pipe to fill the
gap, and get the top of the lower pipe red hot so they could hammer bend
the lip in enough to weld a joint.

If the two sizes of pipe are very close, then it is relatively simple.
I still suggest plug welding (drill hole in the lower pipe and then weld
the two pipes together and fill in the hole.) Weld all around at the
top of the upper pipe and you are done. Assuming 20 foot pipes, I would
probably overlap them 2 to 3 feet, so the assembled height would be 37
or 38 feet high, assuming two pipes.

Richard

stone wrote:
I want to make a pipe pole with larger diameter pipe
on the bottom and with a smaller diameter on top.

Is there a way to weld something like this together?

The only way I could think of was to have the smaller
diameter pipe run the entire length and use some sort
of bushing at both ends of the larger diameter. Making
the welds there.

Is there a slick way other than this?

Thanks.

Andy Asberry

On 28 Feb 2005 14:15:01 -0800, "stone" wrote:

I want to make a pipe pole with larger diameter pipe
on the bottom and with a smaller diameter on top.

Is there a way to weld something like this together?

The only way I could think of was to have the smaller
diameter pipe run the entire length and use some sort
of bushing at both ends of the larger diameter. Making
the welds there.

Is there a slick way other than this?

Thanks.

If the fit is sloppy, weld a disc to the bottom of the smaller pipe
that will just fit into the larger. Drill 3 holes around the
circumference of the larger about 2 feet from the top. Insert the
smaller until the disk is visible through the holes. Nice rosette
welds. Another disk (same OD as large pipe) at the top with a hole for
the smaller pipe. Weld to suit.

If the fit is tight, forget the disks.
SteveF

"stone" wrote in message
ups.com...
I want to make a pipe pole with larger diameter pipe
on the bottom and with a smaller diameter on top.

Is there a way to weld something like this together?

The only way I could think of was to have the smaller
diameter pipe run the entire length and use some sort
of bushing at both ends of the larger diameter. Making
the welds there.

Is there a slick way other than this?

Thanks.

If you are using bushings, weld the bushings to the smaller pipe. Drop the
smaller pipe inside the larger one and weld the top bushing to the larger
pipe. If you really need to weld the other bushings or if the top bushing
won't be flush with the larger pipe, I would think a plug weld would do the
trick.

Steve.

Strange not-quite-240 high-voltage smoke problem... short? circuit breaker? Kent Monroe Home Repair 10 February 22nd 04 03:42 AM
Screw Making: Making a rounded edge on the screw tip George Sohnle Metalworking 6 October 30th 03 07:36 PM
Making Trim? Bob S. Woodworking 0 September 5th 03 11:05 PM
Making a ruin into something habitable. Liz UK diy 140 August 12th 03 01:03 PM
Sliding bearings for telescoping square tubing? Terry King Metalworking 11 July 21st 03 05:00 AM