tomd

Default cutting welded rebar

I need to remove 100 feet of 1/4" flat plate that is attached to my
shop floor. Every foot the plate is attached to the floor with 1/2"
rebar that is welded in the center of the plate. When the shop floor
was poured, the pieces of rebar were concreted in and stuck 1/2" above
the slab. Then the 1/4" plate was drilled every foot for the rebar,
laid down flat on the slab, and welded. To remove it I've considered
using a 7" grinder(very slow), trying to use a torch at an
angle(difficult since the plate is solid against the concrete) and
using a gouging electrode and a prybar. Any and all might work, but
I'm sure open to some better ideas.

I would try hitting the top of the weld with your angle grinder to get
a flat spot. Center punch what you think is the middle, and drill with
1/2 inch or 5/8 inch drill to eliminate weld. If you get the concrete
hot with the torch it will pop off bits of cement at you.

Dan

tomd wrote:
I need to remove 100 feet of 1/4" flat plate that is attached to my
shop floor. Every foot the plate is attached to the floor with 1/2"
rebar that is welded in the center of the plate. When the shop floor
was poured, the pieces of rebar were concreted in and stuck 1/2"

above
the slab. Then the 1/4" plate was drilled every foot for the rebar,
laid down flat on the slab, and welded. To remove it I've considered
using a 7" grinder(very slow), trying to use a torch at an
angle(difficult since the plate is solid against the concrete) and
using a gouging electrode and a prybar. Any and all might work, but
I'm sure open to some better ideas.

Joe

I need to remove 100 feet of 1/4" flat plate that is attached to my
shop floor. Every foot the plate is attached to the floor with 1/2"
rebar that is welded in the center of the plate. When the shop floor
was poured, the pieces of rebar were concreted in and stuck 1/2" above
the slab. Then the 1/4" plate was drilled every foot for the rebar,
laid down flat on the slab, and welded. To remove it I've considered
using a 7" grinder(very slow), trying to use a torch at an
angle(difficult since the plate is solid against the concrete) and
using a gouging electrode and a prybar. Any and all might work, but
I'm sure open to some better ideas.

Do you have a goiod two-hand drill or can you rent one? If so, maybe use a
hole saw to cut around the rebar? How about a good centerpunch or drill a
1/4" hole and then a 3/8" hole or even larger to guarantee you get the whole
thing... You'd probably dull a bunch of bits everytime you hit the
concrete, but if you went out and bought a bunch of cheap bits, it wouldn't
be too expensive to do. And probably faster than the grinder for sure!
Plus, a torch will ruin the concrete. The moisture inside the concrete
expands and makes pieces "mushroom" off at odd angles - sometimes quite
rapidly.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
http://www.autodrill.com
http://www.multi-drill.com

V8013

Know someone with a motorcycle in the NY Metro area?
http://host.mynocdns.com/mailman/lis...rides_yunx.com

Roger Shoaf

Several things come to mind. My first idea is to use a carbide tipped hole
saw in a mag drill and cut through the plate around the rebar and weld area.
I suggest the mag drill as you can control the depth so you are not trying
to punch through the concrete. You might be able to hold just a little shy
of all the way.

Another thing to think about is why the steel plate is there in the first
place. From your description this sounds like the 1/4" plate might very
well be a structural component of your building and removing this may cause
a world of grief. If a smooth floor is your goal, you might wish to
consider a self leveling compound to top everything off and leave the plate
in place. I strongly urge you to consult with a structural engineer before
you remove the plate.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

"tomd" wrote in message
oups.com...
I need to remove 100 feet of 1/4" flat plate that is attached to my
shop floor. Every foot the plate is attached to the floor with 1/2"
rebar that is welded in the center of the plate. When the shop floor
was poured, the pieces of rebar were concreted in and stuck 1/2" above
the slab. Then the 1/4" plate was drilled every foot for the rebar,
laid down flat on the slab, and welded. To remove it I've considered
using a 7" grinder(very slow), trying to use a torch at an
angle(difficult since the plate is solid against the concrete) and
using a gouging electrode and a prybar. Any and all might work, but
I'm sure open to some better ideas.

Ben Jackson

On 2005-02-25, tomd wrote:
, trying to use a torch at an angle

If you torch it you'll spall the concrete.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/

Martin H. Eastburn

tomd wrote:

I need to remove 100 feet of 1/4" flat plate that is attached to my
shop floor. Every foot the plate is attached to the floor with 1/2"
rebar that is welded in the center of the plate. When the shop floor
was poured, the pieces of rebar were concreted in and stuck 1/2" above
the slab. Then the 1/4" plate was drilled every foot for the rebar,
laid down flat on the slab, and welded. To remove it I've considered
using a 7" grinder(very slow), trying to use a torch at an
angle(difficult since the plate is solid against the concrete) and
using a gouging electrode and a prybar. Any and all might work, but
I'm sure open to some better ideas.

Rent or own a magnetic base Drill - core drill around the rebar - e.g. 1" holes.
Then lift off the plate and cut circles off as wanted - torch or real metal work -
a good sledge and cold chisel.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer
Leo Lichtman

I would pull up one or two plates by whatever laborious means are
available--even grinding, so you can get a look at the concrete. Since the
floor was poured with the expectation that it would be covered with steel,
it may not be well finished. If it's going to require a topcoat to make it
usable, there may not be much downside to using a torch on the steel anchor
points. It would be a big waste to take up the steel very carefully, only
to find that you don't have a good surface under there anyway.

Remember, also, that you are going to have to deal with all those re-bar
stubs. It may turn out that the easiest way is to cover them with an inch
or so of new concrete.

Bob Engelhardt

Man, that's going to be a LOT of work, no matter how you do it. WHY do
you want it removed? It could be an advantage having it there. For
instance, you could use it as a giant welding table. You could tack
weld pieces in place to hold them. You could weld machinery anchors to
it. You could weld jigs to it for large frame-ups or bending patterns.
A lot easier to do and change than drilled anchors in concrete. Think
about it. Bob
tomd

The previous owner of my shop cut a 4 foot wide trench, 50 feet long
and installed a trampoline runway. I'm planning on filling it in with
concrete and would like to remove the steel to allow a normal floor. I
have one real garage door to drive into, but the trampoline pit goes
the length of the shop and is just infront of the door. Right now I
cannot even drive a car into the shop.

I like the idea of a magnetic base drill, but if used a core drill then
I still have the grinding issue of the rebar what is left of the plate.
I'm may look into renting such a drill, and then just drilling out the
rebar using several steps of bits. .

OldNick

On 1 Mar 2005 06:19:22 -0800, "tomd"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Sorry, I am way out here.

WTF is a trampoline runway?

The previous owner of my shop cut a 4 foot wide trench, 50 feet long
and installed a trampoline runway. I'm planning on filling it in with
concrete and would like to remove the steel to allow a normal floor. I
have one real garage door to drive into, but the trampoline pit goes
the length of the shop and is just infront of the door. Right now I
cannot even drive a car into the shop.

I like the idea of a magnetic base drill, but if used a core drill then
I still have the grinding issue of the rebar what is left of the plate.
I'm may look into renting such a drill, and then just drilling out the
rebar using several steps of bits. .

Wet the concrete floor down, cut with torch.

tomd

My building was used for a gymnastics school.
The 1/2 inch steel has holes drilled every couple of inches with
extension springs, and a canvas tarp is stretched across the pit held
on each side by the springs . The kids would bounce down the
trampoline doing flips.

OldNick

On 2 Mar 2005 06:54:00 -0800, "tomd"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

OK. Thanks.

I tend to agree with what a couple of others said. Leave the steel
there and use it a a hold-down for projects, either magnetic or tack
welded. Fill in the hole with dirt and lay cement to floor level.

My building was used for a gymnastics school.
The 1/2 inch steel has holes drilled every couple of inches with
extension springs, and a canvas tarp is stretched across the pit held
on each side by the springs . The kids would bounce down the
trampoline doing flips.

cutting board John Grossbohlin Woodworking 12 September 24th 04 12:12 AM
Cutting Rebar Rick Dipper UK diy 10 June 17th 04 08:18 PM
why greek "pi" exists in cutting speed calculation? natarajan ayyavu Metalworking 12 November 30th 03 03:08 PM
Grounding Rod *and* Rebar for service grounds? Vinnie Murdico Home Repair 3 June 27th 03 04:13 PM