Modat22

Default Need to cut some steel in the field, not sure what to use.

I found an old single wide mobile home frame out in the boonies,
someone already stripped the house off of it and all thats left is
some really pretty 6 inch channel. This is just the thing for many
projects I'd like to do one day, but I'm not sure what I'm going to
use to chop it up with.

There is way to much dry grass around this thing to use a torch. I do
have a generator, sawzall, portable air compressor and a couple air
cut off tools.

What would you guys recommend.
Backlash

Generator and sawzall, should do the job, and less chance of fire. Cut it
into sections that you can relocate to a better work spot, then have at it
with a torch, or with your cutoff tools.

RJ

"Modat22" wrote in message
I found an old single wide mobile home frame out in the boonies,
someone already stripped the house off of it and all thats left is
some really pretty 6 inch channel. This is just the thing for many
projects I'd like to do one day, but I'm not sure what I'm going to
use to chop it up with.

There is way to much dry grass around this thing to use a torch. I do
have a generator, sawzall, portable air compressor and a couple air
cut off tools.

What would you guys recommend.

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Modat22" wrote in message
I found an old single wide mobile home frame out in the boonies,
someone already stripped the house off of it and all thats left is
some really pretty 6 inch channel. This is just the thing for many
projects I'd like to do one day, but I'm not sure what I'm going to
use to chop it up with.

There is way to much dry grass around this thing to use a torch. I do
have a generator, sawzall, portable air compressor and a couple air
cut off tools.

What would you guys recommend.

Replace the generator, sawzall, and air compressor with a mower, and clear
the area.

ANYthing you cut steel with might spark. If your area is as dry as has been
ours, you're likely to start a forest fire.

Clear it, wet it, shield it; then cut with whatever you want.

(are you _sure_ a mobile home frame has "pretty" channel? Most I've seen
are light gauge stamped affairs)

LLoyd

Grant Erwin

Modat22 wrote:

I found an old single wide mobile home frame out in the boonies,
someone already stripped the house off of it and all thats left is
some really pretty 6 inch channel. This is just the thing for many
projects I'd like to do one day, but I'm not sure what I'm going to
use to chop it up with.

There is way to much dry grass around this thing to use a torch. I do
have a generator, sawzall, portable air compressor and a couple air
cut off tools.

What would you guys recommend.

Torch on a rainy day, or a porta-band driven by a generator. - GWE

Modat22

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 14:50:54 GMT, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
wrote:

Replace the generator, sawzall, and air compressor with a mower, and clear
the area.

ANYthing you cut steel with might spark. If your area is as dry as has been
ours, you're likely to start a forest fire.

Clear it, wet it, shield it; then cut with whatever you want.

(are you _sure_ a mobile home frame has "pretty" channel? Most I've seen
are light gauge stamped affairs)

LLoyd

To me any usable metal that's free for the taking is pretty. I agree
I'll make a couple passes with the tractor before I cut anything. Its
actually pretty wet around my area except under the frame.

Leo Lichtman

"Grant Erwin" wrote: Torch on a rainy day, or a porta-band driven by a
generator. - GWE
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Portaband would be MY first choice also, if the throat capacity is enough.
My second choice is a torch. Bring a tank of water, a pump, a hose, and a
second person to help you drag things, and to act as a "fireman."

In , on 02/25/05
at 01:04 PM, Modat22 said:

I read on RCM a while back that one bloke used a section of bandsaw blade
in a bowsaw frame. This made a 3 foot hacksaw, which sounded like a great
idea to me. Caveat... I havent tried it!

I found an old single wide mobile home frame out in the boonies, someone
already stripped the house off of it and all thats left is some really
pretty 6 inch channel. This is just the thing for many projects I'd like
to do one day, but I'm not sure what I'm going to use to chop it up with.

There is way to much dry grass around this thing to use a torch. I do
have a generator, sawzall, portable air compressor and a couple air cut
off tools.

What would you guys recommend.

Greg O

"Modat22" wrote in message
I found an old single wide mobile home frame out in the boonies,
someone already stripped the house off of it and all thats left is
some really pretty 6 inch channel. This is just the thing for many
projects I'd like to do one day, but I'm not sure what I'm going to
use to chop it up with.

There is way to much dry grass around this thing to use a torch. I do
have a generator, sawzall, portable air compressor and a couple air
cut off tools.

What would you guys recommend.

What would I recommend? Leave it alone. The time and money spent rescuing
old scrap steel such as this rarely pays for it's self in the long run.
I too have collected used steel channel for the occasional project. I don't
anymore. I found after all the cutting and grinding to get a piece into
shape I would have been better off to buy new!

If you insist, I am sure a sawz-all would cut up a trailer house frame with
little trouble, and very low chance of fire.
Greg