RoyJ

Default Stupid Sears Compressors!

I know, I know, I'd never buy one but this one arrived from a neighbor!

The outlet copper tube is held in place and sealed by a small rubber
gasket, looks like an 'O' ring with a molded on flat spot on one side.
All of this sets into a grove in the cast aluminum (??) head. Head gets
hot, vulcanizes the rubber, rubber gets hard, tube gets spit out of the
head. New gasket is $2.16 plus S&H, no delivery date, not available
locally.

Proper fix is to drill and tap for a 5/16" compression or flare fitting,
not enough thickness to get a realiable thread. Plus I'd still have to
seal up the old slot. JB Weld to goop in proper fitting has some merit
but that brings up a few questions:
1) Would it hold up to the heat?
2) Would it hold up to the vibrations/pressure?
3) Is there something better than JB Weld for this??

Worst case is I order the gasket, install, and send it back with an "I
don't want to see this again"
Roy

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 02:17:55 GMT, RoyJ wrote:

===I know, I know, I'd never buy one but this one arrived from a neighbor!
===
[...]

My C-H is the same way and its going strong since about 1990.........

I really think once the name Crapsman or Sears is stuck on any item it
literally starts to self destruct...........I will hand Crapsman and
Sears one thing..they have a propensity to be able to have an item
designed as cheaply as possible and yet resemble another high quality
item without any quality being utilized in the entire manufacturing
process, and get top dollar for such trash to boot! You know what they
say...once a Sears customer, always a Sears customer.............me I
am 100% Sears / Craftsman free I purged it all years ago and never
looked back.

REMEMBER: "This is worth repeating for benefit of al newbies!
Jo Ann asked Dr. Solo to remind people that while she has retired from selling GF (and sold
the business to Ken Fischer http://dandyorandas.com/) she has NOT retired from
helping people with sick GF and koi FOR FREE. 251-649-4790 phoning is best for
diagnosis. but, can try email put "help sick fish" in subject. Get your fish at Dandy Orandas
Dandy Orandas Dandy Orandas........you guys got that DANDY ORANDAS
Searcher 1

I would weld an adapter to that part of the tank. At least something that I
could put a pipe thread to.
I have Crapsman and lots of it, So far (knock on wood) I have only had two
problems and that was with a "best value" item, a disc grinder, I would
vibrate so bad you couldn't hold it to do the job. I took it back and
without any hesitation I received a new one. You could say that Bob Villia
(sp) lives here I have so much Carftsman. I have never broken a hand tool
although the ratchets do tend to wear. Maybe I have just been lucky thus
far. And oh yeah, I did have a Craftsman compressor, it worked for the week
I had it, it was just so loud you couldn't be in the same space with it. I
did return that and bought an I R, which I just have serious affection over.
That thing (60 gal) is so quiet and so powerful. It too broke after 6
months, the pressure switch went up on it. But I called IR on a Tues. around
3 pm and can you believe they had the new part at my door the next morning
sometime before 9 am!!! Now thats customer satisfaction!.

Searcher 1

"Roy" wrote in message
[...]

PrecisionMachinisT

"RoyJ" wrote in message
k.net...
[...]

One word.

"teflon tape"

--

SVL

Richard J Kinch

RoyJ writes:

The outlet copper tube is held in place and sealed by a small rubber
gasket, looks like an 'O' ring with a molded on flat spot on one side.

Surely you could carve one out of something on the plumbing aisle at Home
Depot, or an auto parts store.

Richard J Kinch

Searcher 1 writes:

I would weld an adapter to that part of the tank.

He said it was a cast aluminum block.
Gunner

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 00:33:07 -0600, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

Searcher 1 writes:

I would weld an adapter to that part of the tank.

He said it was a cast aluminum block.

Yes and?

Gunner

It's better to be a red person in a blue state
than a blue person in a red state. As a red
person, if your blue neighbors turn into a mob
at least you have a gun to protect yourself.
As a blue person, your only hope is to appease
the red mob with herbal tea and marinated tofu.

(Phil Garding)
AJS

"RoyJ" wrote in message
k.net...

Worst case is I order the gasket, install, and send it back with an "I
don't want to see this again"

Automotive high temp silicon.

AJS

ATP*

"PrecisionMachinisT" wrote in message

"RoyJ" wrote in message
k.net...
[...]

that's two words!

PrecisionMachinisT

"ATP*" wrote in message
news

"PrecisionMachinisT" wrote in message

One word.

"teflon tape"

that's two words!

You caught me....G

Still, I had that happen, and I wrapped a ton of that teflon tape all around
under the nut and just tightened her down real good--got me by in a
pinch....and as it turned out, the fix lasted indefinately.

--

SVL

Richard J Kinch

Gunner writes:

I would weld an adapter to that part of the tank.

He said it was a cast aluminum block.

Yes and?

And ... what are the chances that somebody wanting to fix such an item is
nevertheless equipped to weld aluminum?
Steve W.

Probably pretty good since welding aluminum isn't really that hard. If
you have a gas torch you have the tools.
--
Steve Williams

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
Gunner writes:

I would weld an adapter to that part of the tank.

He said it was a cast aluminum block.

Yes and?

And ... what are the chances that somebody wanting to fix such an item

is
nevertheless equipped to weld aluminum?

RoyJ

It's actually a cast aluminum HEAD where the air outlet is located.
While I do have TIG available, I'm not even sure that it is aluminum.
And instead of a HOLE for the outlet tube, it has a "U" shaped notch
that the gasket slides into, bottom is held in place by the head gasket.
I could make up a suitable 'U' shaped scrap of aluminum, drill and tap
for a proper fitting, then attempt to weld it in place. Assorted cooling
fins and thin walls make this a not very easy task.

Richard J Kinch wrote:

Searcher 1 writes:

I would weld an adapter to that part of the tank.

He said it was a cast aluminum block.

Gunner

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 01:46:13 -0600, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

Gunner writes:

I would weld an adapter to that part of the tank.

He said it was a cast aluminum block.

Yes and?

And ... what are the chances that somebody wanting to fix such an item is
nevertheless equipped to weld aluminum?

Isnt everybody?
This IS RCM after all

Gunner

It's better to be a red person in a blue state
than a blue person in a red state. As a red
person, if your blue neighbors turn into a mob
at least you have a gun to protect yourself.
As a blue person, your only hope is to appease
the red mob with herbal tea and marinated tofu.

(Phil Garding)
Mark Rand

wrote:

Gunner writes:

I would weld an adapter to that part of the tank.

He said it was a cast aluminum block.

Yes and?

And ... what are the chances that somebody wanting to fix such an item is
nevertheless equipped to weld aluminum?

Isnt everybody?
This IS RCM after all

Gunner

Why fix it. Just cast a new one :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM

Winston

wrote:
And ... what are the chances that somebody wanting to fix such an item is
nevertheless equipped to weld aluminum?

Isnt everybody?
This IS RCM after all

Gunner

Why fix it. Just cast a new one :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM

That is a *great* idea!
Sorry for the late reply, I was mining bauxite in the back yard.

--Winston

Sears, what a pity the right hand doesn't know about the left! LONG diatribe. Bob Bowles Home Repair 24 February 1st 05 08:21 PM
Sears, what a pity the right hand doesn't know about the left! LONG diatribe. Bob Bowles Woodworking 31 February 1st 05 08:21 PM
Sears Ace Woodworking 16 November 21st 04 05:42 PM
Sears Ace Home Repair 8 November 16th 04 07:52 PM
Maytag Neptune Washer lousy customer service for repair; I would think twice next time and buy from Sears wkearney99 Home Ownership 0 November 28th 03 09:01 PM