Dave

Default Stamped girders, for strength?

We have seen many...the bridge girders over our path.

I am wondering if a thinner material, stamped in appropriate designs
(Triangles) would give the strength needed?

My point is, lightweight I beams.

The basis of this thought is (groan) The Roswell Wreckage. Many
pieces were described as having "Heiroglyphs".

I translate this to stamping of a metal for structural strength.

Any thoughts?

Not posted to Alt.Gunner.whacko.ufo.gunsRus

~Dave
Dave Hinz

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 13:53:41 -0500, Dave wrote:

We have seen many...the bridge girders over our path.

I am wondering if a thinner material, stamped in appropriate designs
(Triangles) would give the strength needed?

My point is, lightweight I beams.

The basis of this thought is (groan) The Roswell Wreckage. Many
pieces were described as having "Heiroglyphs".

I translate this to stamping of a metal for structural strength.

Any thoughts?

Wow. It's _like_ English, but without that whole 'meaning' thing.

Grant Erwin

Dave wrote:

We have seen many...the bridge girders over our path.

I am wondering if a thinner material, stamped in appropriate designs
(Triangles) would give the strength needed?

My point is, lightweight I beams.

The basis of this thought is (groan) The Roswell Wreckage. Many
pieces were described as having "Heiroglyphs".

I translate this to stamping of a metal for structural strength.

Any thoughts?

Not posted to Alt.Gunner.whacko.ufo.gunsRus

Classic problem in mechanical engineering. The only way to know is to
learn some. No sane engineer would make a recommendation to you sight unseen.
The bridge either stands or it falls. I suggest you overbuild it to the level
of your own ignorance.

A structure fabricated of 1/8" steel stamped to approximate a truss would be
slightly stronger than the equivalent truss fabricated from 1/8" pieces.

If you want, google on "maxwell diagrams". Good luck.

GWE
Ian Stirling

Dave wrote:

We have seen many...the bridge girders over our path.

I am wondering if a thinner material, stamped in appropriate designs
(Triangles) would give the strength needed?

My point is, lightweight I beams.

The reason stamping/punching/trusses are used is because in 99% of structural
applications, most of the material is not stressed that much, and simply
serves to keep the rest of it in place.

For example, take a 4" deep wood beam, and drill 2" holes horizontally
through the center every 12".

The strength is almost unaffected.
If, however, you drill the holes at the bottom of the beam (where it's most
stressed) it's quartered.

In many applications, the reason for using large beams is not to
stop them from breaking, but to keep the bending within acceptable limits
for the structure they are in. (plaster ceilings will crack long before
wooden ceiling beams fail)

In general, if this is the case, for a beam like a ceiling joist, tripling the
height of a beam, will give nine times the stiffness, and you can reduce
the width by 9 times to keep the same as the original stiffness.
However, it will now tend to twist.
The I-beam is a compromise that keeps (almost) the stiffness of a solid
beam of the same dimensions, but at a bare fraction of the weight.

The basis of this thought is (groan) The Roswell Wreckage. Many
pieces were described as having "Heiroglyphs".

I translate this to stamping of a metal for structural strength.

Any thoughts?

Unlikely.
IIRC, the metal was also described as flexible.
carl mciver

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
| Dave wrote:
|
| We have seen many...the bridge girders over our path.
|
| I am wondering if a thinner material, stamped in appropriate designs
| (Triangles) would give the strength needed?
|
| My point is, lightweight I beams.
|
| The basis of this thought is (groan) The Roswell Wreckage. Many
| pieces were described as having "Heiroglyphs".
|
| I translate this to stamping of a metal for structural strength.
|
| Any thoughts?
|
| Not posted to Alt.Gunner.whacko.ufo.gunsRus
|
| Classic problem in mechanical engineering. The only way to know is to
| learn some. No sane engineer would make a recommendation to you sight
unseen.
| The bridge either stands or it falls. I suggest you overbuild it to the
level
| of your own ignorance.
|
| A structure fabricated of 1/8" steel stamped to approximate a truss would
be
| slightly stronger than the equivalent truss fabricated from 1/8" pieces.
|
| If you want, google on "maxwell diagrams". Good luck.
|
| GWE

I seem to recall some article about an advanced fighter aircraft that
used corrugated webs in the spars somewhere. It's like the floor beams
where there is a thin piece of plywood between two solid beams as wide as
square. Imagine this webbing replaced with corrugated metal, with the bends
in the vertical arrangement. Likely to be a pain to build, unless you bury
it in epoxy in the frame caps, but it's a pretty cool design.
Unfortunately, I'm not sure penetrations for assorted reasons do so well in
it, although I haven't seen how it would be done.

http://www.tribtech.com/images/app.8.gif

is an interesting _composite_ structure built for weight and strength.

Actually I was going to set up a press and die with rectangular panels
containing steel balls offset to ripple a bit of sheet metal. I do have
the press, but the alignment is difficult. Anyway, just like corrugated
sheet steel for roofing, such a stamped product would be stiffer (in
both axes) than unstamped sheet, while corrugated sheet is stiffer in
just the axis along the corrugations. That product (tin roof) is a
common example of "stamping a metal for structural strength" but it's
really stiffness, not so much strength.

Yours,

Doug Goncz
Replikon Research
Seven Corners, VA 22044-0394

Dave

Dave Hinz wrote:

Wow. It's _like_ English, but without that whole 'meaning' thing.

Hinz, you are more abrasive than P.Albrecht, and as useful as an old
HF Catalouge.

Dave
Sunworshipper

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 22:20:16 -0500, Dave wrote:

Dave Hinz wrote:

Wow. It's _like_ English, but without that whole 'meaning' thing.

Hinz, you are more abrasive than P.Albrecht, and as useful as an old
HF Catalouge.

Dave

I thought your question was intriguing. Different shapes for different
stresses within sections of say a wing spar. Or say the inside of
helicopter and turbine blades where it would be honey combed in one
area and spheres in another. Don't know about the '47 part though.
Outside the box , that's for sure. Is that a sentence , hinz?

BTW , I've seen airfoil ribs and other airplane parts with holes and
crimped patterns that I guess could be construed to look that way.
Dave Hinz

Dave Hinz wrote:

Wow. It's _like_ English, but without that whole 'meaning' thing.

Hinz, you are more abrasive than P.Albrecht, and as useful as an old
HF Catalouge.

I don't know who Albrecht is, sorry. All I saw was a collection
of sentence fragments and no context of any sort of previous post
to identify what the poster was talking about.

Dave

Sunworshipper wrote:

I thought your question was intriguing. Different shapes for different
stresses within sections of say a wing spar. Or say the inside of
helicopter and turbine blades where it would be honey combed in one
area and spheres in another. Don't know about the '47 part though.
Outside the box , that's for sure. Is that a sentence , hinz?

BTW , I've seen airfoil ribs and other airplane parts with holes and
crimped patterns that I guess could be construed to look that way.

Thanks, and exactly, Sunworshipper.

My Thoughts are radical and extreme... bail out here, Hinz. Go play
in a CNC sandybox, or with a grammar teacher.

RADICAL metalworking techniques performed on new alloys. Emboss
titanium for strength? Work hardened triangles? Old hat, I'd bet.
"The Deacon's Shay" is a fun read..

A New Mexico rancher sees metal, and patterns he's never seen before,
and his prior experience is horsebits, car doors, and ETC.

Therefore, any patterns, colors or shapes are new, even to residents
in the vicinity, and yea, even to med workers in the vicinity.

I have no "Point" to all this that I really want to bother to
explain at the moment, except to say that I finally read all I wanted on
Roswell, just for grins, and found it interesting. Both because
"witnesses" corroborated stories, and conflicted...upon key points.

It's a bit like G. Coffman and his excellent, long drawn out
dissertation on, and rebuking thereof...the "Casting Copper" thread....
Which was drawn in as an OT , but turned out to be quite interesting.

BTW, where is Gary?

Let's pour iron, in March, at Red Top Mountain State Park?

~Dave

Sunworshipper

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 13:05:17 -0500, Dave wrote:

Sunworshipper wrote:

[...]

I don't know , I try to keep a mental image (with a bad memory) of the
others. I could have sworn hins was an ole timer on rcm , but if he
doesn't know PA then that is mute issue. I'm positive that I'm on
alot of kill files and backroom laughter sessions and don't care. I
bet Gunner can't get me to like scrub either.

Jumping on people and not being constructive really bugs me. Reminds
me of socialites and soap operas.