carl mciver

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
| Dave wrote:
|
| We have seen many...the bridge girders over our path.
|
| I am wondering if a thinner material, stamped in appropriate designs
| (Triangles) would give the strength needed?
|
| My point is, lightweight I beams.
|
| The basis of this thought is (groan) The Roswell Wreckage. Many
| pieces were described as having "Heiroglyphs".
|
| I translate this to stamping of a metal for structural strength.
|
| Any thoughts?
|
| Not posted to Alt.Gunner.whacko.ufo.gunsRus
|
| Classic problem in mechanical engineering. The only way to know is to
| learn some. No sane engineer would make a recommendation to you sight
unseen.
| The bridge either stands or it falls. I suggest you overbuild it to the
level
| of your own ignorance.
|
| A structure fabricated of 1/8" steel stamped to approximate a truss would
be
| slightly stronger than the equivalent truss fabricated from 1/8" pieces.
|
| If you want, google on "maxwell diagrams". Good luck.
|
| GWE

I seem to recall some article about an advanced fighter aircraft that
used corrugated webs in the spars somewhere. It's like the floor beams
where there is a thin piece of plywood between two solid beams as wide as
square. Imagine this webbing replaced with corrugated metal, with the bends
in the vertical arrangement. Likely to be a pain to build, unless you bury
it in epoxy in the frame caps, but it's a pretty cool design.
Unfortunately, I'm not sure penetrations for assorted reasons do so well in
it, although I haven't seen how it would be done.