monkers

Default info on gear reducer needed

I have finally found a gear reducer for my vertical bandsaw project but
would like some info on it if possible. It is an older looking unit,
cast iron body no name cast into it anywhere, it has R-3 Reducer cast
on one piece, then on a smooth ground section of the body it has this
stamped into it: H.1709.L.H
G.4.60.1
It has a 3/4" input shaft with keyway, but the output shaft is 1"
dia with no keyway, but a 5/16 hole drilled 90 degrees for a dowel pin.
It had a clutch with cork disks and a large # chain sprocket. What
direction of which shaft does the left hand designation refer to? Can I
take the output shaft out and cut a keyway on it to accept a pulley?
What size motor would be best? What ft/min should I use for
mild steel?
Thanks,
Craig

stanley baer

monkers wrote:
I have finally found a gear reducer for my vertical bandsaw project but
would like some info on it if possible. It is an older looking unit,
cast iron body no name cast into it anywhere, it has R-3 Reducer cast
on one piece, then on a smooth ground section of the body it has this
stamped into it: H.1709.L.H
G.4.60.1
It has a 3/4" input shaft with keyway, but the output shaft is 1"
dia with no keyway, but a 5/16 hole drilled 90 degrees for a dowel pin.
It had a clutch with cork disks and a large # chain sprocket. What
direction of which shaft does the left hand designation refer to? Can I
take the output shaft out and cut a keyway on it to accept a pulley?
What size motor would be best? What ft/min should I use for
mild steel?
Thanks,
Craig

I wouldn't bother with the keyway I would use a split taper bushing or a
Fenner keyless bushing. Both of these will grab onto a 1" shaft quite
tightly without a key and give you the added benifit of easy
disassembly. The pulley and bushing combo might be will be a $20 more
expensive than the keyway style pulley.

stan
Grant Erwin

monkers wrote:
I have finally found a gear reducer for my vertical bandsaw project but
would like some info on it if possible. It is an older looking unit,
cast iron body no name cast into it anywhere, it has R-3 Reducer cast
on one piece, then on a smooth ground section of the body it has this
stamped into it: H.1709.L.H
G.4.60.1
It has a 3/4" input shaft with keyway, but the output shaft is 1"
dia with no keyway, but a 5/16 hole drilled 90 degrees for a dowel pin.
It had a clutch with cork disks and a large # chain sprocket. What
direction of which shaft does the left hand designation refer to? Can I
take the output shaft out and cut a keyway on it to accept a pulley?
What size motor would be best? What ft/min should I use for
mild steel?
Thanks,
Craig

Mild steel fpm should be in the range 60-120.

Be warned that the cross-hole may well be for a taper pin.

If I were you I'd turn one shaft 10 times while counting the revs of the
other. If that doesn't get it, then turn it 100 times ..

Gear reducers are normally a worm and pinion, and those should go in either
direction. Just try it with your hand. It should move freely.

Sure, you can tear it down and cut a keyway if you want to. Nothing wrong
with a crosspin, though.

GWE

I would look up gear reducers in Grainger or McMaster Carr and compare
hp ratings for similar gear reducers to get an idea of how much hp can
be used. Also look at lubricant recommendations. I think that Boston
Gear recommends synthetic gear oil now.

Dan

Ned Simmons

In article .com,
says...
I have finally found a gear reducer for my vertical bandsaw project but
would like some info on it if possible. It is an older looking unit,
cast iron body no name cast into it anywhere, it has R-3 Reducer cast
on one piece, then on a smooth ground section of the body it has this
stamped into it: H.1709.L.H
G.4.60.1
It has a 3/4" input shaft with keyway, but the output shaft is 1"
dia with no keyway, but a 5/16 hole drilled 90 degrees for a dowel pin.
It had a clutch with cork disks and a large # chain sprocket. What
direction of which shaft does the left hand designation refer to? Can I
take the output shaft out and cut a keyway on it to accept a pulley?
What size motor would be best? What ft/min should I use for
mild steel?

The L.H designation probably indicates that the worm has left hand
thread, so determines the relative rotation of the input and output. If
this is a normal worm reducer like on this page

http://www.bostongear.com/products/enclosed/wgsr.html

it'll be happy turning in either direction.

You should be able to estimate the reducers ratings by looking for one
of similar size in the Boston Gear pages. The most useful dimension will
be the distance between the axes of the input and output shafts. This is
what is referred to as "center distance" in the specs for the various
reducers and is an indication of the actual gear set in the reducer. The
torque and HP ratings for standard reducers with the same ratio and
center distance from different manufacturers will be pretty close.

Ned Simmons

monkers

Thanks guys for the info. Here is what I learned so far, (Ned, I hadnt
seen your post prior to right now, Im gonna look up the Boston Gear
info, thanks) : I looked in MSC, Grainger and McMaster, I believe the
LH designation means its set up left hand, can be changed to right
hand, sure enough when I looked at it again, you could move the input
shaft from side to side, just switch the covers, It looks like it will
handle all the power I`ll need, the cross hole isnt tapered but had a
lightly press fit dowel pin which held the clutch assem on the shaft.
The outer sleeve of the assem covered the dowel pin so it could not
fall out. I have no objection to using a cross pin, but the pulleys Im
going to order (4-step) have a keyway with set screw. It does turn in
each direction, and has a nice big bearing with two nuts, must be to
take up end play? Looks very well made considering it is not stamped
with any name. Im going to replace the seals, and make new gaskets.
There is some slight corrosion in the case that will need to be removed
so it doesnt waste the bearings.
Thank you for your help , I really appreciate
it.
Craig

Don Foreman

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 19:49:36 -0500, Ned Simmons
wrote:

The L.H designation probably indicates that the worm has left hand
thread, so determines the relative rotation of the input and output. If
this is a normal worm reducer like on this page

http://www.bostongear.com/products/enclosed/wgsr.html

it'll be happy turning in either direction.

Might be happier in one direction than the other, though. Worm-gear
reducers often have thrust bearings on the inside end of the worm.
They want to turn so the reaction force pushes the worm against the
thrust bearing rather than trying to push it out of the housing.
Ned Simmons

In article ,
says...
wrote:

The L.H designation probably indicates that the worm has left hand
thread, so determines the relative rotation of the input and output. If
this is a normal worm reducer like on this page

http://www.bostongear.com/products/enclosed/wgsr.html

it'll be happy turning in either direction.

Might be happier in one direction than the other, though. Worm-gear
reducers often have thrust bearings on the inside end of the worm.
They want to turn so the reaction force pushes the worm against the
thrust bearing rather than trying to push it out of the housing.

The typical Boston Gear/Winsmith/Hub City reducers I
pointed to have ball bearings (or tapered roller bearings
in larger sizes) at both ends of the worm and have no
preferred rotation.

Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Sell:
China Shenzhen ZHAOWEI Machinery & Electronics Co. Ltd engages in designing, manufacturing and marketing all kinds of electric motors. They are mainly suitable for the following applications: smart home application used in smart kitchen and laundry, medical instrument for personal care, smart E-transmission applied in automobile, industry automation applied in telecommunication and a great variety of plastic/metal planetary gearbox in different sizes.
In order to develop the oversea market, we are current seeking new partners around the world to create a bright future together. ZhaoWei is a right choice and excellent partnership with sincere services.

Company: Shenzhen ZHAOWEI Machinery & Electronics Co., Ltd
Contact: Anny Liu
Tel:+86-755-27322652
Fax:+86-755-27323949

Add: Blk. 18, Longwangmiao Industry Park, Fuyong Tn., Baoan Dist., Shenzhen 518103, Guangdong, China