ATP*

Default Headless Bridgeport Home

Just brought home a headless Bridgeport, it's on my trailer in the driveway.
After I clear enough of a path to get it into the shop, I'm going to try and
put together a working Vari-Speed Chiwanese head out of 4 heads and motors
in various states of disrepair.

Grant Erwin

ATP* wrote:

Just brought home a headless Bridgeport, it's on my trailer in the driveway.
After I clear enough of a path to get it into the shop, I'm going to try and
put together a working Vari-Speed Chiwanese head out of 4 heads and motors
in various states of disrepair.

If you give up, I've got an entire Bridgeport 1J head sitting idle. - GWE
yourname

Grant Erwin wrote:
ATP* wrote:

Just brought home a headless Bridgeport, it's on my trailer in the
driveway. After I clear enough of a path to get it into the shop, I'm
going to try and put together a working Vari-Speed Chiwanese head out
of 4 heads and motors in various states of disrepair.

If you give up, I've got an entire Bridgeport 1J head sitting idle. - GWE

exactly

visions of learning to swear in Chinese...

Grant Erwin

JB wrote:
Wahts your asking price Grant? Where are you located?

"Grant Erwin"
If you give up, I've got an entire Bridgeport 1J head sitting idle. - GWE

$600 obo, in a suburb outside of Seattle, Washington.
To email me offline, see http://www.tinyisland.com/email.html

GWE

ATP*

"yourname" wrote in message

Grant Erwin wrote:
ATP* wrote:

Just brought home a headless Bridgeport, it's on my trailer in the
driveway. After I clear enough of a path to get it into the shop, I'm
going to try and put together a working Vari-Speed Chiwanese head out of
4 heads and motors in various states of disrepair.

If you give up, I've got an entire Bridgeport 1J head sitting idle. - GWE

exactly

visions of learning to swear in Chinese...

I can see that day coming. I think I might be able to learn something
working on the heads. They are mostly intact, with the exception of the
vari-speed sheave setup, which I hope to convert to a fixed drive controlled
by a VFD.

ATP* wrote:
Just brought home a headless Bridgeport, it's on my trailer in the

driveway.
After I clear enough of a path to get it into the shop, I'm going to

try and
put together a working Vari-Speed Chiwanese head out of 4 heads and

motors
in various states of disrepair.

I'm a bit late getting in on this thread. After you are done, I might
be interested in buying an extra Chiwanese motor off of you if the
motor has a long shaft that I can mount a B'port variable pulley to
(don't remember the B'port motor shaft diameter off hand although I
could aways turn a bushing if the shaft is undersize). I have been
searching on E-bay and the B'port 2 hp motors are a bit too pricey for
me. I think I have all the parts to complete the assembly of a 2J head,
minus the motor.

ATP*

wrote in message
oups.com...

ATP* wrote:
Just brought home a headless Bridgeport, it's on my trailer in the

driveway.
After I clear enough of a path to get it into the shop, I'm going to

try and
put together a working Vari-Speed Chiwanese head out of 4 heads and

motors
in various states of disrepair.

I'm a bit late getting in on this thread. After you are done, I might
be interested in buying an extra Chiwanese motor off of you if the
motor has a long shaft that I can mount a B'port variable pulley to
(don't remember the B'port motor shaft diameter off hand although I
could aways turn a bushing if the shaft is undersize). I have been
searching on E-bay and the B'port 2 hp motors are a bit too pricey for
me. I think I have all the parts to complete the assembly of a 2J head,
minus the motor.

I'll take the measurements. I believe they are 3 HP motors. The shaft is
very close to 30 mm in diameter with considerable wear. I am going to try
and fix the sheaves in position, I think there is too much wear to use the
floating sheave/vari-speed setup.

Gunner

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 07:59:34 -0500, "ATP*" wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...

ATP* wrote:
[...]

You can pull the rotor, turn the shaft, and sweat on a sleeve, or have
it flame sprayed and built back up. This is pretty typical when the
user started hearing noise and ignored it for a long time.

One often finds the motor shaft keyway blown out badly. In which case
you clean it up, and turn the shaft 180 degrees and put in a new
keyway. The pulleys will be blown out inside as well, so they will
need to be bored and bushed

Gunner

Rule #35
"That which does not kill you,
has made a huge tactical error"
ATP*

"Gunner" wrote in message
On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 07:59:34 -0500, "ATP*" wrote:

wrote in message
groups.com...

ATP* wrote:
[...]

Unfortunately I don't have the moving pulley or the spring. If I pull the
rotor, is it something I can easily chuck in a six-inch three jaw chuck on a
South Bend Heavy 10, or do I need some kind of special soft jawed armature
holding device?

Gunner

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 20:20:23 -0500, "ATP*" wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 07:59:34 -0500, "ATP*" wrote:

wrote in message
egroups.com...

ATP* wrote:
[...]

You should..should.. be able to hold the off end with the chuck,
though a collet would be better. The rotors are not that big. Of
course Id use either a very very good live center or a decent dead
center in the end of the motor shaft. Its likely to be threaded in its
ID btw,..some were some were not.

You want to put it back in order? I may have access to the spring, and
moving pulley half. I know for sure I have the pully half, but its
badly blown out and will need to be bored and sleeved.

Gunner

Rule #35
"That which does not kill you,
has made a huge tactical error"
ATP*

"Gunner" wrote in message
On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 20:20:23 -0500, "ATP*" wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
. ..
On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 07:59:34 -0500, "ATP*" wrote:

wrote in message
legroups.com...

ATP* wrote:
[...]

I would like to put it back in order. I'll send you an email.