Default BP Backgear problem

I have a 1J step pulley BP mill that I have finally powered up and
tried out. I have tried all of the direct drive gears and it works
well. Wehn I shift in the backgears, it locks everything up tight.
You can definitely feel it shift the gear train, but something must not
be releasing as it locks the spindle. My assumption from looking at
the parts diagram is that the cone drive is not being disengaged
resulting in a locked state. Does this sound logical? Or does someone
have an alternative theory?

Thanks

JW

Have you released the direct drive pin connection to the cone pulley?

Harry C.

Where's that? There is no mention of that in the book.

JW

Karl Townsend

wrote in message
oups.com...
Where's that? There is no mention of that in the book.

Its right on top of the unit. it rotates almost 1/4 turn. There's a slot
that raises/lowers a pin as you rotate the collar. My 1J has instructions
printed on the machine.

Anyway, you have four combinations: High gear, back gear, free wheel, and
lock. I use lock all the time to unscrew the R8 collet; my brake is broke.

Karl

I will have to take a look for it.

The plate on the front(and the book) both state: rotate the shift lever
from high gear to Neutral to Low gear. Nothing about a lock pin. I
thought there might be something, similar to my lathe, but then I
thought that the shift lever might take care of it somehow internally.

Thanks

JW

Jon Elson

I will have to take a look for it.

The plate on the front(and the book) both state: rotate the shift lever
from high gear to Neutral to Low gear. Nothing about a lock pin. I
thought there might be something, similar to my lathe, but then I
thought that the shift lever might take care of it somehow internally.

You have a book from a 2J head. It has a single lever to operate both
"clutches". The 1J has two separate controls. There is a lever with a
ball detent
handle on the right rear of the belt housing. Normally, front is back
gear not
engaged, move to rear to engage the back gear. It works by lowering a
pinion
into mesh with the bull gear.

The other thing is the direct drive clutch. The driven pulley up on top
is mounted
with a sliding bearing. There is a cam ring, right on the top of the
pulley housing
where you tighten the drawbar, that can raise the whole
pulley assembly about 1/4". The bottom of the pulley shaft has 4 clutch
teeth
on it. The top of the bull gear shaft has 4 notches that mate with the
clutch
teeth when they are down. This part also has the spline that drives the
spindle
itself. The two pins in that cam ring screw into rather small threaded
holes in
the pulley carrier. They are a frequent trouble spot on the 1J. I had
to retap
the holes one size bigger and make new pins. I've had no trouble since that
repair.

So, when the back gear is engaged, you want the direct drive clutch out
(up).
You have to run the motor in reverse when in backgear to get the same
spindle direction.

Jon

Found the part on the top I was supposed to turn. The handle was
missing, which made it less obvious. Now to find a handle!
Surprised the plate on the head telling me how to run the backgears
does not mention this 2nd operation. I can understand why my book
doesn't(as others surmised it is for a 2J).

Thanks everyone.

JW

Would you tell me a little more about the modifications he's made to
the equipment in his shop... I read a thread recently about making
blacksmithing more acessable to the handicapped, and it tweaked my
curiosity.

It seems like it would be a real pain to run any large lathe, like over
10" or so. Not impossible, just a real pain to see over the top of the
work...