mtlwright

Default Mechanics gloves

I was wondering if anybody else had any experience with these.

I thought these were a kind of Jesse James wannabe item when they came
out but I have to admit I really like them for general wear around the
shop.

The only problem is the pair of Mechanix brand I had fell apart very
quickly. I spend a lot of time in my shop, but I don't do it for a
living anymore, so I suspect that for someone who does these gloves
wouldn't last more than a couple of weeks. Mine only lasted about two
months before the fingers started ripping through.

Anybody have any experience with any of the other brands? The Stanley
ones looked like they maybe more durable.

Regards,

Bill

Pete Snell

mtlwright wrote:
I was wondering if anybody else had any experience with these.

I have a few pair..

The only problem is the pair of Mechanix brand I had fell apart very
quickly. I spend a lot of time in my shop, but I don't do it for a
living anymore, so I suspect that for someone who does these gloves
wouldn't last more than a couple of weeks. Mine only lasted about two
months before the fingers started ripping through.

They generally hold up really well, but there are a few 'grades' built
for specific work. My 'Kawi green' pair finally gave up when I used them
for reroofing the house and garage. Asphalt shingles sure are
abrasive......

Anybody have any experience with any of the other brands? The Stanley
ones looked like they maybe more durable.

Check out the Mechanix website https://www.mechanix.com to see if
there is a pair more suitable to your uses.

Pete

--
__
Pete Snell

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
- George Bernard Shaw
Bob Paulin

mtlwright wrote in article
.com...
I was wondering if anybody else had any experience with these.

I thought these were a kind of Jesse James wannabe item when they came
out but I have to admit I really like them for general wear around the
shop.

These gloves have been around for a l-o-n-g time....many years before
"Monster Garage" television show came to be....so, they're definitely NOT a
Jesse James wannabe item....not by any stretch of the imagination....

I go through a half-dozen pair per year working on race cars at the
track....

I've tried the Ringers and Craftsman clones, but I like the original
Mechanix Wear best...Don't know anything about the Stanley gloves, but I'd
guess they're simply another clone.

When the "real" Mechanix Wear gloves go on sale at the local retail auto
parts store for around $15.00USD, I buy a few pair....so, I always have
fresh pair when I need them.

Bob Paulin

mtlwright

At 15 dollars US I wouldn't mind so much. Up here I've never seen them
on sale and they go for roughly 25 to 28 dollars US. (39.95 Canadian).

Bill

Emmo

Stanleys are on sale at my local HF store for $5/pair...

Anybody have any experience with any of the other brands? The Stanley
ones looked like they maybe more durable.

Rex B

I seem to have better luck with the ones Permatex offers. Look and feel
identical, seem to wear longer. I agree about the MW ones tearing early.
Around the shop, I like the Thick Latex gloves for most work. I
also use some nitrile.

mtlwright wrote:
I was wondering if anybody else had any experience with these.

I thought these were a kind of Jesse James wannabe item when they came
out but I have to admit I really like them for general wear around the
shop.

The only problem is the pair of Mechanix brand I had fell apart very
quickly. I spend a lot of time in my shop, but I don't do it for a
living anymore, so I suspect that for someone who does these gloves
wouldn't last more than a couple of weeks. Mine only lasted about two
months before the fingers started ripping through.

Anybody have any experience with any of the other brands? The Stanley
ones looked like they maybe more durable.

Regards,

Bill

Greg O

"mtlwright" wrote in message
oups.com...
I was wondering if anybody else had any experience with these.

Check Grainger, Wells Lamont MechPro gloves. 1VD31-34 depending on the size.
Catalog price is about $16, I get them for about $14. Get them so they fit
tight! I generally were a large, but I get these in medium. They hold up as
well as Mechanix brand, maybe better, at less money.
Greg

Jim K

At first I thought they were kind of "wussy" as in real mechanics
don't use something like this. However, after wearing a pair for
awhile, I decided they are really worth it. I have a Craftsman pair
that have held up great. You can find them on sale every now and then.

I also tried them a couple weeks ago when I had a bunch of wood to
sand with an orbital sander. They sure help protect against that
tingly feeling from running a sander for an evening as well.

On 4 Feb 2005 05:06:33 -0800, "mtlwright" wrote:

I was wondering if anybody else had any experience with these.

I thought these were a kind of Jesse James wannabe item when they came
out but I have to admit I really like them for general wear around the
shop.

The only problem is the pair of Mechanix brand I had fell apart very
quickly. I spend a lot of time in my shop, but I don't do it for a
living anymore, so I suspect that for someone who does these gloves
wouldn't last more than a couple of weeks. Mine only lasted about two
months before the fingers started ripping through.

Anybody have any experience with any of the other brands? The Stanley
ones looked like they maybe more durable.

Regards,

Bill

Eregon

Jim K wrote in
:

At first I thought they were kind of "wussy" as in real mechanics
don't use something like this. However, after wearing a pair for
awhile, I decided they are really worth it. I have a Craftsman pair
that have held up great. You can find them on sale every now and then.

I also tried them a couple weeks ago when I had a bunch of wood to
sand with an orbital sander. They sure help protect against that
tingly feeling from running a sander for an evening as well.

(c8

The first ones that I ever saw *were on the hands of the mechanic* who'd
just performed a minor miracle: he'd gotten my wife's Colt Vista running
again.

Personally, I'd prefer to use the Dickies brand goatskin version but,
unfortunately for me, they don't offer one quite large enough for my hands.

The Stanleys are similar to the Mechanix but a bit higher. (Mechanix are
under $15 at Wally World)

FWIW, I've also been known to use batting gloves as an alternative.
DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Eregon wrote:
Jim K wrote in
:

At first I thought they were kind of "wussy" as in real mechanics
don't use something like this. However, after wearing a pair for
awhile, I decided they are really worth it. I have a Craftsman pair
that have held up great. You can find them on sale every now and then.

I also tried them a couple weeks ago when I had a bunch of wood to
sand with an orbital sander. They sure help protect against that
tingly feeling from running a sander for an evening as well.

[ ... ]

The first ones that I ever saw *were on the hands of the mechanic* who'd
just performed a minor miracle: he'd gotten my wife's Colt Vista running
again.

Personally, I'd prefer to use the Dickies brand goatskin version but,
unfortunately for me, they don't offer one quite large enough for my hands.

The Stanleys are similar to the Mechanix but a bit higher. (Mechanix are
under $15 at Wally World)

I'm amazed that this has not yet erupted into the traditional
"don't wear gloves in a machine shop" thread. Granted, you have
suggested that they were being used in wrenching on automobiles, not
running machine tools, but considering the newsgroup, at least one
caveat about wearing them while machining would seem to be reasonable.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

mtlwright

DoN. Nichols wrote:
In article ,
Eregon wrote:
Jim K wrote in
:

SNIP - I'm amazed that this has not yet erupted into the traditional
"don't wear gloves in a machine shop" thread. SNIP

I operate under the assumption that we are all members of the clan
MacHinery and understand that I was talking about use for wrenching,
cutting steel, fabrication, etc.

Anybody who wishes to wear them while running machinery is welcome to,
if they don't mind risking their fingers, etc. I also assume most
people on this newsgroup are more 'attached' to their digits.

Bill

B.B.

In article .com,
"mtlwright" wrote:

I was wondering if anybody else had any experience with these.

I thought these were a kind of Jesse James wannabe item when they came
out but I have to admit I really like them for general wear around the
shop.

The only problem is the pair of Mechanix brand I had fell apart very
quickly. I spend a lot of time in my shop, but I don't do it for a
living anymore, so I suspect that for someone who does these gloves
wouldn't last more than a couple of weeks. Mine only lasted about two
months before the fingers started ripping through.

Anybody have any experience with any of the other brands? The Stanley
ones looked like they maybe more durable.

Regards,

Bill

I have some I've kept is pretty good shape for about a year, but I
switch gloves as needed. For example, I wear fingerless leather gloves
when doing really nasty undercarriage work so that no matter how much I
grease them up I can still hold onto a hammer, I don't rip up my palms
on wrenches, and I can pick up little things like nuts and cotter pins.
But for pretty much all other jobs the Mechanix get used, and work fine.
I don't really baby them, but I don't abuse them either. However,
that said, I got 'em as a gift and will probably go back to just using
leather gloves all the time once these wear out as I haven't noticed a
whole lot of advantage with 'em aside from the velcro strap.

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/
Peter Grey

"Bob Paulin" wrote in message
I go through a half-dozen pair per year working on race cars at the
track....

I work on race and street cars a fair amount and have always used latex or
nitrile gloves. Other than an ability to handle hot objects, I'm not sure I
see the advantage of using the heavier Mechanix style gloves so haven't even
put any on. It always seemed to me that one would lose any feel that one
has. Why do you wear them rather than the thinner stuff?

Peter

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 02:21:17 GMT, the inscrutable "Peter Grey"
spake:

"Bob Paulin" wrote in message
I go through a half-dozen pair per year working on race cars at the
track....

I work on race and street cars a fair amount and have always used latex or
nitrile gloves. Other than an ability to handle hot objects, I'm not sure I
see the advantage of using the heavier Mechanix style gloves so haven't even
put any on. It always seemed to me that one would lose any feel that one
has. Why do you wear them rather than the thinner stuff?

I agree wholeheartedly. I recently tried the Mechanix gloves at Wally
World and the GoJo gloves at HF. I dare anyone to pick up one of
Snap-On's shiny chrome wrenches with a pair of those on.

Nitriles are 10x tougher than latex, handle chemicals well, and fifty
pair cost the same or less than one pair of the cloth/leather gloves.

I'll wear the thicker gloves when I have to wrestle used cars and
rusty sheet or plate metals, but not for normal auto work.

Proud (occasional) maker of Hungarian Paper Towels.
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design

Aaron Kushner

DoN. Nichols wrote:

I'm amazed that this has not yet erupted into the traditional
"don't wear gloves in a machine shop" thread. Granted, you have
suggested that they were being used in wrenching on automobiles, not
running machine tools, but considering the newsgroup, at least one
caveat about wearing them while machining would seem to be reasonable.

Is there any problem wearing the blue nitrile gloves when using
machine tools?

Dave Hinz

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 16:50:01 GMT, Aaron Kushner wrote:
DoN. Nichols wrote:

I'm amazed that this has not yet erupted into the traditional
"don't wear gloves in a machine shop" thread. Granted, you have
suggested that they were being used in wrenching on automobiles, not
running machine tools, but considering the newsgroup, at least one
caveat about wearing them while machining would seem to be reasonable.

Is there any problem wearing the blue nitrile gloves when using
machine tools?

Well, they don't rip like latex gloves do. You can get 'em to rip,
but if it gets caught, it might pull you in. I wear them often
(EMT) and I don't think I'd want them around moving machinery. They're
just too strong to rely on them coming off or away in a problem.

Dave Hinz
Rex B

DoN. Nichols wrote:

I'm amazed that this has not yet erupted into the traditional
"don't wear gloves in a machine shop" thread. Granted, you have
suggested that they were being used in wrenching on automobiles, not
running machine tools, but considering the newsgroup, at least one
caveat about wearing them while machining would seem to be reasonable.

Is there any problem wearing the blue nitrile gloves when using
machine tools?

Well, they don't rip like latex gloves do. You can get 'em to rip,
but if it gets caught, it might pull you in. I wear them often
(EMT) and I don't think I'd want them around moving machinery. They're
just too strong to rely on them coming off or away in a problem.

Dave Hinz

I use them routinely, and the rip pretty easily. I go through about 1
pair/hour. For this reason they are my choice when working with machinery.

Dave Hinz

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 13:37:34 -0600, Rex B wrote:

Dave Hinz wrote:

Well, they don't rip like latex gloves do. You can get 'em to rip,
but if it gets caught, it might pull you in. I wear them often
(EMT) and I don't think I'd want them around moving machinery. They're
just too strong to rely on them coming off or away in a problem.

I use them routinely, and the rip pretty easily. I go through about 1
pair/hour. For this reason they are my choice when working with machinery.

Maybe it's the nature of metalworking materials. Around patients, they're
pretty damn tough to damage. Usually patients don't have sharp bits
sticking out of them. (more often than you'd think, though...)

Silly question though - why do you wear gloves for working in the shop?
Is it to keep the work clean, or your hands clean?

Two reasons why I wear gloves in my shop:

1) I switch back and forth between wood and metal and while it is easy
to wipe of grease from metal, it's not so easy to get it off wood.

2) I don't care if my hands are greasy, but my wife would rather my
hands be clean.

3) Even when woodworking, I tend to use gloves as polyurethane glues
turn skin black.

Recently, I started using protective hand creams and find them to work
well.

Rex B

Dave Hinz wrote:

Well, they don't rip like latex gloves do. You can get 'em to rip,
but if it gets caught, it might pull you in. I wear them often
(EMT) and I don't think I'd want them around moving machinery. They're
just too strong to rely on them coming off or away in a problem.

I use them routinely, and the rip pretty easily. I go through about 1
pair/hour. For this reason they are my choice when working with machinery.

Maybe it's the nature of metalworking materials. Around patients, they're
pretty damn tough to damage. Usually patients don't have sharp bits
sticking out of them. (more often than you'd think, though...)

Silly question though - why do you wear gloves for working in the shop?
Is it to keep the work clean, or your hands clean?

Some of both, but mostly to keep hands clean.
Also, it's cold in the shop these days.
And, the same nicks that tear the gloves otherwise would have torn skin.
I bleed less when I use gloves

Martin H. Eastburn

Aaron Kushner wrote:
DoN. Nichols wrote:

I'm amazed that this has not yet erupted into the traditional
"don't wear gloves in a machine shop" thread. Granted, you have
suggested that they were being used in wrenching on automobiles, not
running machine tools, but considering the newsgroup, at least one
caveat about wearing them while machining would seem to be reasonable.

Is there any problem wearing the blue nitrile gloves when using
machine tools?

Depends on what is being done. If turning and milling, then nitrile (a great glove)
glove might pose a danger if it is caught into the spinning work or tool. It won't
just tear off, it will pull in the hand.

It is like long sleeves or long un-kept hair.

If you can be sure to be away from moving stuff - then ok. Or willing to take the risk.

I use them when I use chemicals or when I want to protect my hands in non-moving times.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer

Mechanic's Tool Guide :-) machineman Metalworking 3 January 8th 05 10:07 PM
Best Brand Of Mechanics' Tools Rick Cook Metalworking 38 September 17th 04 01:06 PM
Speaking of the Best Brand Of Mechanics' Tools michael Metalworking 3 September 16th 04 07:38 PM
If it says "wear gloves" a UK diy 33 September 5th 04 11:30 PM
Quantum Mechanics and Self-Replicating Machines Doug Goncz Metalworking 34 September 17th 03 04:06 PM