GrayMatter

Default Need help polishing Stainless Steel

I have some Stainless Steel pieces (several feet in length) that currently
have a brushed finish. I want to buff / polish these to a mirror finish. I
have a new bench grinder, but I have no experiece with buffing wheels and
compounds. Due to the amount of material, I would prefer to do as little by
hand (sandpaper) as possible, but I ultimately want a nice end result. What
products (stitched wheel, felt wheel, firmness of either, compounds, etc) do
I need to accomplish this? I have tried some buffing, but many of the
deeper original scratches remain.

Any details on procedures and products would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rotty

"GrayMatter" wrote in message
I have some Stainless Steel pieces (several feet in length) that currently
have a brushed finish. I want to buff / polish these to a mirror finish.
I have a new bench grinder, but I have no experiece with buffing wheels and
compounds. Due to the amount of material, I would prefer to do as little
by hand (sandpaper) as possible, but I ultimately want a nice end result.
What products (stitched wheel, felt wheel, firmness of either, compounds,
etc) do I need to accomplish this? I have tried some buffing, but many of
the deeper original scratches remain.

Any details on procedures and products would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi, Have a look at this site, very helpfull for a first timer.
Regards. Ben

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 11:17:35 -0600, the inscrutable "GrayMatter"
spake:

I have some Stainless Steel pieces (several feet in length) that currently
have a brushed finish. I want to buff / polish these to a mirror finish. I
have a new bench grinder, but I have no experiece with buffing wheels and
compounds. Due to the amount of material, I would prefer to do as little by
hand (sandpaper) as possible, but I ultimately want a nice end result. What
products (stitched wheel, felt wheel, firmness of either, compounds, etc) do
I need to accomplish this? I have tried some buffing, but many of the
deeper original scratches remain.

Any details on procedures and products would be greatly appreciated.

SWAG: Sand them (ROS) with progressively finer grits until they begin
to shine, THEN buff (orbital) with progressively finer compounds.
Finish up with Mother's.

http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/sspolkit.html Here's a kit.
It looks like it has white rouge, black emery, and green chromium
oxide sticks. http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/buffing.htm

But sand the scratches out first. That's likely how they were put
the with a belt sander.

Thesaurus: Ancient reptile with excellent vocabulary
http://diversify.com Dynamic Website Applications

Jim C Roberts

GrayMatter,

A few years back I posted here about polishing some SS, you should be able
to Google that info up. Quickly, we used some Norton Abrasives unified
wheels, Bear Tek by name, to begin teh polishing process. They were 220
grit, so they did not do very much material removing, mostly just polishing.
After that we used stitched cotton wheels and rouge compounds to achieve the
final look. We were using hand held die grinders for all of the above, but
I am sure you can find what you would need to fit your bench grinder.

Best of luck,
Jim C Roberts