Charles A. Sherwood

Default how to hold carbide endmill in horizontal mill

My rockwell horizontal mill has a #30 taper spindle.
I recently bought some carbide endmills that do not have a flat on them
so they cannot be held with an endmill holder.

I have two ways to hold them. Bison ER32 collet chuck or Erickson 180DA
collet chuck. Both suffer from the same limitations. The end of the collet
chuck is much larger than the endmill holder so it might hit the vise.
Also the nut sticks out farther than the collet so about 1/4 inch of
endmill length is lost.

I'm looking for better options. Suggestions please?

BTW, good quality carbide endmills are awesome. I was cutting Stainless
steel like it was aluminum!
chuck

Charles A. Sherwood

Buy extended endmill holders and grind a flat on the shank of the
endmills. Thats da only way.

I suppose that means I need to buy a diamond grinding wheel
to grind a flat on carbide endmill? Why don't they come with flats?

cs

ff

Charles A. Sherwood wrote:

Buy extended endmill holders and grind a flat on the shank of the
endmills. Thats da only way.

I suppose that means I need to buy a diamond grinding wheel
to grind a flat on carbide endmill? Why don't they come with flats?

cs

A silicon (green) wheel will grind carbide. They usually don't have
flats because there are better ways of holding endmills than with a
setscrew. At the high end, they use heat shrink tool holders.

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Robert Swinney wrote:
What Eric said. Unless you're really putting a load on them, a perfectly
round end mill shank will be held adequately in a collet.

Why not put a piece of lead shot under the setscrew. It will
spread out and grip the carbide nicely, while the setscrew will not grip
the raw carbide nicely, because neither the setscrew nor the carbide end
mill will deform readily.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Charles A. Sherwood

Why not put a piece of lead shot under the setscrew. It will
spread out and grip the carbide nicely, while the setscrew will not grip
the raw carbide nicely, because neither the setscrew nor the carbide end
mill will deform readily.

I suspect this will work. I also suspect it will necessary to push the
endmill out from the back. Would 50/50 plumbing solder work ok?

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Charles A. Sherwood wrote:
Why not put a piece of lead shot under the setscrew. It will
spread out and grip the carbide nicely, while the setscrew will not grip
the raw carbide nicely, because neither the setscrew nor the carbide end
mill will deform readily.

I suspect this will work. I also suspect it will necessary to push the
endmill out from the back. Would 50/50 plumbing solder work ok?

It probably would -- if you can still get it.

As for the removal problem, I would suggest driving a wood screw
into the lead to extract it.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564