Gunner

Default WTB "Eddy Current Tester

A customer called me today looking for what he called an Eddy Current
tester.

As he described it to me, its a device that uses electronic magic to
test the hardness of a material, its thickness and so forth. He
wants it to double check heat treating.

Any idea of where to find a reasonably priced used one?

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child -
Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke
Dave Hinz

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 19:10:14 GMT, Gunner wrote:
A customer called me today looking for what he called an Eddy Current
tester.

As he described it to me, its a device that uses electronic magic to
test the hardness of a material, its thickness and so forth. He
wants it to double check heat treating.

Any idea of where to find a reasonably priced used one?

The first obvious answer would be eBay?

Jeffrey Lindemuth

Gunner,
A eddy current tester can test a wide range of things, from how close the
tester is to a metal surface to detecting cracks in and under surface of a
metal. Be sure that any eddy current test you find will do the job for your
customers.

Jeff

"Gunner" wrote in message
A customer called me today looking for what he called an Eddy Current
tester.

As he described it to me, its a device that uses electronic magic to
test the hardness of a material, its thickness and so forth. He
wants it to double check heat treating.

Any idea of where to find a reasonably priced used one?

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child -
Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke

JMartin957

A customer called me today looking for what he called an Eddy Current
tester.

As he described it to me, its a device that uses electronic magic to
test the hardness of a material, its thickness and so forth. He
wants it to double check heat treating.

Any idea of where to find a reasonably priced used one?

Gunner

Don't know about hardness, but I saw one used to check the threads on an
aluminum SCUBA tank. Found some cracks that you wouldn't have otherwise seen.

I believe it's now a federal law that the aluminum tanks be checked that way,
so most any dive shop should have a machine or know where to find one.

John Martin

Franklin Newton

If he's wanting to check for a particular aluminum temper, he's looking for
a conductivity meter that reads in %IACS(It's really an eddy current machine
but easier and faster to use for that function, and temper is only assured
when you have the desired conductivity and the desired hardness
together.Maybe ebay or some NDT shop.
Frank

"Gunner" wrote in message
A customer called me today looking for what he called an Eddy Current
tester.

As he described it to me, its a device that uses electronic magic to
test the hardness of a material, its thickness and so forth. He
wants it to double check heat treating.

Any idea of where to find a reasonably priced used one?

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child -
Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke

Trevor Jones

Gunner wrote:

A customer called me today looking for what he called an Eddy Current
tester.

As he described it to me, its a device that uses electronic magic to
test the hardness of a material, its thickness and so forth. He
wants it to double check heat treating.

Any idea of where to find a reasonably priced used one?

Gunner

First and fastest is to find out if he is looking for a particular make
or model. Does he have friends that can reccomend such? Then at least
you can search for specifics.

The electronic magic amounts to a coil inducing a magnetic field in the
metal under it, and reading the resultant magnetic flux from the eddy
current so created. Flaws will cause concentrations of flux lines that
indicate stronger. Hardness and composition also affect readings, thus
it can test For those, with the right equipment.

There is a pile of technology, both new and old that can be found. In
addition to the machine itself, there will be a need to have the right
coils and calibration testing samples.

$$$

Non Destructive Testing (NDT) or Non Destructive Inspection (NDI)
websites or companies could be likely to lead you towards what is
needed. Without knowing exactly what your guy needs (make,model,part
number), you and he could spend a pile of money and still not have
anything useful.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Where to get information on motors? B.B. Metalworking 18 December 24th 04 06:32 AM
RCD or not to RCD ... Rick Hughes UK diy 53 August 13th 04 05:04 PM
15A Circuit Breaker on a Power Tap Jajal Electronics 3 April 3rd 04 03:18 PM
sequence of tripping CB Sam UK diy 13 March 24th 04 09:24 AM
Phase converter balancing Karl Townsend Metalworking 7 July 13th 03 12:48 AM