Brent Burton

Default What is a turret mill?

A buddy has a knee mill (a Bridgeport) that has a new Anilam controller
and whatnot. I understand, at a very basic level, how it works and how it
can manipulated.

How is a turret mill different?
Dan

"Brent Burton" wrote in message
A buddy has a knee mill (a Bridgeport) that has a new Anilam controller
and whatnot. I understand, at a very basic level, how it works and how it
can manipulated.

How is a turret mill different?

Same thing different name. When you import these mills U.S. Customs
classifies them as "turret" mills. So you'll see that term more often with
imported machines than the more familiar term "knee" mill.

Dan

yourname

I suppose you have to see a cincinnati up close to ponder the
difference betwen turret and knee

useful content: if you look at a bridgeport style mill, the four bolts
heading down into the base casting allow the top 'turret' to rotate,
allowing the machine to make much larger or irregular parts than
otherwise possible, earlier machines had a fixed 'C' frame, beefier, but
less flexible.

Tom wrote:
Dan wrote:

"Brent Burton" wrote in message

A buddy has a knee mill (a Bridgeport) that has a new Anilam controller
and whatnot. I understand, at a very basic level, how it works and how it
can manipulated.

How is a turret mill different?

Same thing different name. When you import these mills U.S. Customs
classifies them as "turret" mills. So you'll see that term more often with
imported machines than the more familiar term "knee" mill.

Dan

If it was good enough for Bridgeport to market their machines
as turret mills, surely the Asian clone makers can't be wrong?

Ton