stone

Default welding pipe

I was wondering if there is a method for
cutting pipe to be welded together at
90 degrees. For a roll cage or something else.

The only way I've ever seen is to use a cutting
torch to sort of wing it, when making the curved
cut to get the pipe snug against the other pipe.

Is there a technique or method for making a more
precise fit for pipe welding?

Thanks.

Stephen Young

stone wrote:

I was wondering if there is a method for
cutting pipe to be welded together at
90 degrees. For a roll cage or something else.

The only way I've ever seen is to use a cutting
torch to sort of wing it, when making the curved
cut to get the pipe snug against the other pipe.

Is there a technique or method for making a more
precise fit for pipe welding?

Thanks.

Tubing notcher http://www.medfordtools.com/metalwor...benotcher.html
Terry Collins

stone wrote:

I was wondering if there is a method for
cutting pipe to be welded together at
90 degrees. For a roll cage or something else.

As well as the other methods mentioned, google search on this group for
making paper templates to wrap around for torch or cutting.
carl mciver

"stone" wrote in message
oups.com...
| I was wondering if there is a method for
| cutting pipe to be welded together at
| 90 degrees. For a roll cage or something else.
|
| The only way I've ever seen is to use a cutting
| torch to sort of wing it, when making the curved
| cut to get the pipe snug against the other pipe.
|
| Is there a technique or method for making a more
| precise fit for pipe welding?
|

| Thanks.

I've seen a pencil mounted on a slot in a block. Forgot what they call
it. Hold the pipe at the angle you want it to be against the mating pipe.
Follow the block around the pipe and the pencil marks out the profile to
make a flush fit. Takes some practice, of course, and you pick the cutting
method that works for you.
Templates work good, but take a bit more effort to do, unless you are
mathematically inclined and/or plan on doing a lot of that pattern.

wallster

"Stephen Young" wrote in message
stone wrote:

I was wondering if there is a method for
cutting pipe to be welded together at
90 degrees. For a roll cage or something else.

The only way I've ever seen is to use a cutting
torch to sort of wing it, when making the curved
cut to get the pipe snug against the other pipe.

Is there a technique or method for making a more
precise fit for pipe welding?

Thanks.

Tubing notcher http://www.medfordtools.com/metalwor...benotcher.html

This is a cool item. Thanks Stephen, I'm going to make one of those!

walt

Jan Homuth

The chapest,
yet reasonably precise and practical method is very simple:

cut the other tube in a right angle 45 degrees to its centerline.

I hope the little sketch will show how it works:

Tube 1
-------------------
/\
/ | \ - this is supposed to be a right angle seen from top
-- | | | ---------
| | | Tube 2
| | |
| -- centerline

This method works for tubes of the same or slightly differing size.
It also works for non - right angle tube joints.
just rotate the center line of the right angle cut for half the angle to
join.

If you have to join a smaller tube to a larger one, grind of the excess tips
of the cut.

grtnx
/jan

stone schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
I was wondering if there is a method for
cutting pipe to be welded together at
90 degrees. For a roll cage or something else.

The only way I've ever seen is to use a cutting
torch to sort of wing it, when making the curved
cut to get the pipe snug against the other pipe.

Is there a technique or method for making a more
precise fit for pipe welding?

Thanks.

Ken Moffett

Terry Collins wrote:

stone wrote:

I was wondering if there is a method for
cutting pipe to be welded together at
90 degrees. For a roll cage or something else.

As well as the other methods mentioned, google search on this group for
making paper templates to wrap around for torch or cutting.

Goggle for "Winmiter" and "Tubemiter". Both are free programs to
generate the paper template. Wrap around the tube and use a right angle
grinder to grind the metal and paper away to the template line. Perfect
fishmouth. I've even made double fishmouths, to mate a vertical tube at
the junction of two horizontal tubes forming a +. I overlapped two
offset templates and traced the bottom one on to the top one to make a
double fistmouth.
John L. Weatherly

Ken Moffett wrote:

double fistmouth

Hasn't that been outlawed in Canada?
--
John L. Weatherly
MacGyver Industrial Technologies
Gunner

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 07:38:31 -0600, "John L. Weatherly"
wrote:

Ken Moffett wrote:

double fistmouth

Hasn't that been outlawed in Canada?

You can only use barbless hooks.

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child -
Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke

Ken Moffett

John L. Weatherly wrote:

Ken Moffett wrote:

double fistmouth