Chief McGee

Default Which hand-held cutoff wheel motor should I buy?

OK, I need some opinions please. I notice on all these motorcycle
building shows that they do I lot of cutting with a cutoff wheel mounted on
an air grinder. I have a cheapo air power Harbor Freight grinder with a 3"
wheel, but it does not have anywhere near the same power that these guys
are using. Willing to buy a more expensive model, but which one? Do I need
air or electric? 3" or 6"? Thanks for any suggestions, Chief

xmRadio

"Chief McGee" wrote in message
OK, I need some opinions please. I notice on all these motorcycle
building shows that they do I lot of cutting with a cutoff wheel mounted

on
an air grinder. I have a cheapo air power Harbor Freight grinder with a

3"
wheel, but it does not have anywhere near the same power that these guys
are using. Willing to buy a more expensive model, but which one? Do I

need
air or electric? 3" or 6"? Thanks for any suggestions, Chief

Alot of that stuff you see, is state of art metal working tools.

Unlikely the average Joe could afford it.

I notice a metal cutoff they are using. The handle for it looks about 3 feet
long. You just pull down on the handle and slice through anything like
bread. Seems like the wheel has carbide (lathe bit like) cutter, that did
the slicing. Only got a brief glimpse of the wheel before they cut to
another scene.

My 4inch hand held is a craftmans. Had it for 10 years. Good for tube,
cracking up welds, etc.

My chop saw is a 14 inch I got it at harbor freight. Only had the mount
break, the part that the motor sticks into, so it goes down on the work,
held in the vice. I repaied it. The one I bought even came with an extra set
of motor brushes. Used this for about 4 years now.

xman

Bandsaw wheel alignment? Woodworking 6 January 7th 05 01:40 AM
What is the proper tool/method Roger Hull Metalworking 36 April 26th 04 05:36 PM
Truing a small grinding wheel on the drill press Doug Goncz Metalworking 1 March 22nd 04 10:45 AM
What Grinding Wheel to Use? Mr. Fix-It Metalworking 2 March 10th 04 05:37 PM
Grinding Wheels Jamrelliot Metalworking 21 January 7th 04 05:39 PM