Ben

Default Ideas on how this was fabricated ?

The following pics are of a bicycle crank arm, manufactured in
reaonably small quantities around 20 years ago. What makes them
different is their shape.

Made of Chromoly steel, hollow with no visible seams. hexaganol cross
section, tapering from one end to the other in 2 dimensions (one is
obvious, the other is widthwise end to end - wide end at crank
spindle, narrow at pedal)

http://users.fcpl.com/~ben/aero/crank1.jpg
http://users.fcpl.com/~ben/aero/crank2.jpg
http://users.fcpl.com/~ben/aero/crank3.jpg
http://users.fcpl.com/~ben/aero/crank4.jpg
http://users.fcpl.com/~ben/aero/crank5.jpg
http://users.fcpl.com/~ben/aero/crank6.jpg
http://users.fcpl.com/~ben/aero/crank7.jpg
http://users.fcpl.com/~ben/aero/crank8.jpg

Suggestions so far are :

1. 2 Halves Stamped from sheet steel, welded together and then
finished.

2. A Custom tube - drawn and tapered to exact requirements, with
ends formed together in a tool, brazed and finished.

The trouble with 1 is that I can's see any evidence of the weld - the
'seam' between the two halves is absolutely 100% - straight and sharp.
The rest of the visible welding though is not so good, so I am not
convinced by this.

No. 2 seems possible, particularly given that the ends (where the
'seam' betweenm the two halves are) looks definitely 'manually'
finished (not absolutely straight and true). But, I can't see how
tubing can be shaped hexagonally and then tapered in this way.

Any light anyone could shed would be very welcome!

Thanks.

BJS
Eric R Snow

On 13 Jan 2005 14:55:07 -0800, (Ben) wrote:

It could be that that the two halves were brazed. But the plooks like
it was plated. If thats the case then it could have been welded,
blended, then the other pieces welded in, and finally plated. If you
can, buff a little of the plating off and see if there is a brazed
joint.
ERS

[...]

Anthony

(Ben) wrote in
om:

[...]

Made in 2 halves, welded, finish machined, tis why the edges are so
straight, but the ends (radius) are not.
The only other option, was it was cast, then machined.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
Don Foreman

[...]

It's a lot easier to make and finish a nice outside weld than it is a
fillet weld like the gobby-looking ones. The halves may also have
been resistance-welded like some tubing is made from rolled flatstock.

Ed Huntress

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
[...]

Man, that's an interesting one. I suppose that none of those three bosses
would let you look inside with a borescope, huh? The small one that
apparently fits a drive-pin on the chainwheel probably goes all the way
through, too, like the ones on the ends?

If it *does* open to the inside, you could find an inspection shop that has
a small, flexible borescope, and you'd probably be able to see where the
seam(s) is with that.

Or you could just take a hacksaw and cut it in half for a look. g

--
Ed Huntress