Default Liquid metal filler for repairing shafting?s

I heard of something once that worked like form-a-thread I believe.
You put a paste on a worn area of a shaft and when it cured you could
machine it back to the original diameter.
We have a shaft in an old horizontal mill. One end is worn about .030
and fits into a bearing. They have been running this machine slotting
screws for years but I want it fixed. This seeems like the easiest way
if it works.

Tom Miller

Check out the Yellow Pages for " metal spray". There are a number of
industrial processes that are used to build up worn shafts. The shaft is
usually set up on an old lathe and a powdered metal mixture is trickled into
an oxy/acetylene flame. The flame drives the metal onto the preheated shaft
where it sticks quite well. The shaft is then machined back as usual. For a
cheap & nasty solution Google" LocTite" for a product called "bearing
tight" . Its not perfect but its better than a wobbling shaft

Tom
wrote in message
ups.com...
I heard of something once that worked like form-a-thread I believe.
You put a paste on a worn area of a shaft and when it cured you could
machine it back to the original diameter.
We have a shaft in an old horizontal mill. One end is worn about .030
and fits into a bearing. They have been running this machine slotting
screws for years but I want it fixed. This seeems like the easiest way
if it works.

Dave Hinz

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 09:19:35 +1100, Tom Miller wrote:
Check out the Yellow Pages for " metal spray". There are a number of
industrial processes that are used to build up worn shafts. The shaft is
usually set up on an old lathe and a powdered metal mixture is trickled into
an oxy/acetylene flame.

Is this the same thing as "spray-welding"? If so, yes, I've seen shafts
fixed with this and they looked great.

cheap & nasty solution Google" LocTite" for a product called "bearing
tight" . Its not perfect but its better than a wobbling shaft

I've used that with success, but it was on a low-load, low-speed
application. Beats using J-B Weld or something, though.

carl mciver

wrote in message
ups.com...
| I heard of something once that worked like form-a-thread I believe.
| You put a paste on a worn area of a shaft and when it cured you could
| machine it back to the original diameter.
| We have a shaft in an old horizontal mill. One end is worn about .030
| and fits into a bearing. They have been running this machine slotting
| screws for years but I want it fixed. This seeems like the easiest way
| if it works.

Lab Metal by Alvin Products. Easy to find on the web. I got a 24oz can
of it for about 25 bucks at a local fastener supplier. You can build up all
sorts of things. The putty isn't a glue or adhesive, FWIW, and it seems to
have aluminum as the filler. Cures to the consistency of lead or similar.
You can machine it and all that, too. Industry uses it for filling holes
and pits in castings and welds. Sort of a heavy duty bondo in that
application. Excellent stuff. There's a high temp version of the same
stuff.

Liquid Stucco and Liquid Siding websoulsurfer Home Repair 10 June 29th 20 07:44 PM
Liquid Siding and Liquid Stucco websoulsurfer Home Ownership 0 November 16th 04 06:31 PM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
metal tubes Allan Adler Metalworking 7 September 26th 03 04:30 AM
Drywall screws for metal studs prone to strip, please help. andy everett Home Repair 2 August 23rd 03 07:10 PM