Ben Carter

Default hammered finish on aluminum plate?

HELP!

I've been asked to create an applied door covering using 1/8" aluminum plate. The (important) client strongly desires a real hammered finish. Anyone done this on anything large? I've only done it to jewelry and small sculpture.

I'd probably weld an old ball peen head onto an impact chisel bit and go nuts if someone doesn't stop me! The door is 42' x 8' 10" and done on both sides so it should probably be some kind of tool...

thanks!

Grant Erwin

I'd try a needle gun. Best would be a large die covered with spots
of hard-faced weld, in a small power hammer, but that would cost you
a lot of money to get set up. - GWE

Ben Carter wrote:

HELP!

I've been asked to create an applied door covering using 1/8" aluminum plate.
The (important) client strongly desires a real hammered finish. Anyone done
this on anything large? I've only done it to jewelry and small sculpture.

I'd probably weld an old ball peen head onto an impact chisel bit and go nuts
if someone doesn't stop me! The door is 42' x 8' 10" and done on both sides
so it should probably be some kind of tool...

thanks!

Tom Gardner

I've seen hammer-finishes AL faced Formica...think slick as to how to pass
it off.
(top posted for your convenience)

"Ben Carter" wrote in message
news:60277.141.151.190.42.1105638297.squirrel@141. 151.190.42...

HELP!

I've been asked to create an applied door covering using 1/8" aluminum
plate. The (important) client strongly desires a real hammered finish.
Anyone done this on anything large? I've only done it to jewelry and small
sculpture.

I'd probably weld an old ball peen head onto an impact chisel bit and go
nuts if someone doesn't stop me! The door is 42' x 8' 10" and done on both
sides so it should probably be some kind of tool...

thanks!

B.B.

In article . 190.42,
"Ben Carter" wrote:

HELP!

I've been asked to create an applied door covering using 1/8" aluminum plate.
The (important) client strongly desires a real hammered finish. Anyone done
this on anything large? I've only done it to jewelry and small sculpture.

I'd probably weld an old ball peen head onto an impact chisel bit and go nuts
if someone doesn't stop me! The door is 42' x 8' 10" and done on both sides
so it should probably be some kind of tool...

thanks!

How about a (rented) vibratory soil compactor with an appropriately
contoured plate clamped onto the bottom?

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/
Ken Davey

B.B. wrote:
In article . 190.42,
"Ben Carter" wrote:

HELP!

I've been asked to create an applied door covering using 1/8"
aluminum plate. The (important) client strongly desires a real
hammered finish. Anyone done this on anything large? I've only done
it to jewelry and small sculpture.

I'd probably weld an old ball peen head onto an impact chisel bit
and go nuts if someone doesn't stop me! The door is 42' x 8' 10" and
done on both sides so it should probably be some kind of tool...

thanks!

How about a (rented) vibratory soil compactor with an appropriately
contoured plate clamped onto the bottom?

I like this. Sounds like a 'Tim the Toolman Taylor' kind of solution'.

Ken.

--
http://www.rupert.net/~solar
Return address supplied by 'spammotel'

carl mciver

"Ben Carter" wrote in message
news:60277.141.151.190.42.1105638297.squirrel@141. 151.190.42...

| HELP!
|
| I've been asked to create an applied door covering using 1/8" aluminum
plate. The (important) client strongly desires a real hammered finish.
Anyone done this on anything large? I've only done it to jewelry and small
sculpture.

| I'd probably weld an old ball peen head onto an impact chisel bit and go
nuts if someone doesn't stop me! The door is 42' x 8' 10" and done on both
sides so it should probably be some kind of tool...

| thanks!

I've seen chains used for this. Get some exercise to boot!

Brian Lawson

Hey Ben,

WOW!! That's a BIIIIGGG door. Is it a "door "now", or will you do
the aluminum and then apply it? How many individual panels make up
the cover? If it is already skinned, I'd be very concerned about how
much you will be stretching the metal with the peaning. And for sure
it will be warped and buckled when you're done. I wonder if the
customer would go for a pattern created with a disc sander or "engine
turning" design?

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 12:44:57 -0500 (EST), "Ben Carter"
wrote:

HELP!

I've been asked to create an applied door covering using 1/8" aluminum plate. The (important) client strongly desires a real hammered finish. Anyone done this on anything large? I've only done it to jewelry and small sculpture.

I'd probably weld an old ball peen head onto an impact chisel bit and go nuts if someone doesn't stop me! The door is 42' x 8' 10" and done on both sides so it should probably be some kind of tool...

thanks!

Gary A. Gorgen

Ken Davey wrote:
B.B. wrote:

In article . 190.42,
"Ben Carter" wrote:

HELP!

I've been asked to create an applied door covering using 1/8"
aluminum plate. The (important) client strongly desires a real
hammered finish. Anyone done this on anything large? I've only done
it to jewelry and small sculpture.

I'd probably weld an old ball peen head onto an impact chisel bit
and go nuts if someone doesn't stop me! The door is 42' x 8' 10" and
done on both sides so it should probably be some kind of tool...

thanks!

How about a (rented) vibratory soil compactor with an appropriately
contoured plate clamped onto the bottom?

I like this. Sounds like a 'Tim the Toolman Taylor' kind of solution'.

Sometimes Tim has good ideas. :-)

Make a square frame that the platten will fit into.
Put in 1 layer of ball bearings, a steel plate on top of that.
Insert the compactor on the plate, and let her rip.
It might be a little noisy. :-)

--
Gary A. Gorgen | "From ideas to PRODUCTS"