Tim Aberegg

Default What type of chuck?

I have an old Warner Swasey No. 3 turret lathe that I want to put a new 3
jaw chuck on. What type of chuck mount does this lathe use? It looks like an
A series from the MSC catalog but I don't know the difference between an A,
camlock, etc, etc. (I pulled those terms out of the MSC catalog so I don't
sound like a complete fool
Thanks,
Tim

Harold & Susan Vordos

"Tim Aberegg" wrote in message
I have an old Warner Swasey No. 3 turret lathe that I want to put a new 3
jaw chuck on. What type of chuck mount does this lathe use? It looks like

an
A series from the MSC catalog but I don't know the difference between an

A,
camlock, etc, etc. (I pulled those terms out of the MSC catalog so I don't
sound like a complete fool
Thanks,
Tim

The A type mount accepts bolts that fasten the chuck to the spindle. Cam
lock (D type spindle) would have holes that accept the pins located on the
back of your chuck. The pins have a radius cut in them, which is the
locking surface. The spindle has sockets around the perimeter that engage
the cams with the radius in each pin. I'm not sure they use that system on
turret lathes. It's very common on late model engine lathes, however.

The A and D type are very similar, the major difference being the bolts as
opposed to the studs. If your spindle has a short taper, plus four holes
(or more) tapped around the face, it's an A. Cam lock of that size would
likely have six holes, probably 3/4" diameter.

Harold

Karl Townsend

The A and D type are very similar, the major difference being the bolts as
opposed to the studs. If your spindle has a short taper, plus four holes
(or more) tapped around the face, it's an A. Cam lock of that size would
likely have six holes, probably 3/4" diameter.

Here's a web page for "D" type spindles. The next page has L type. Didn't
check but I bet bet they are all there. Pics dimensions etc.

http://www.toolingsystems.com/cushman/manual/page4.html

Karl

Karl Townsend

answer my own post. I checked this site out a bit.

Start on page 2.
http://www.toolingsystems.com/cushman/manual/page2.html

A complete guide to chuck selection by cushman

nova midi chuck question res055a5 Woodturning 13 January 14th 05 05:00 PM
upgrade drill press chuck? Adrian Mariano Woodworking 14 June 12th 04 08:09 PM
Toronto area lumber? Pick Woodworking 4 November 20th 03 02:29 PM
Need help identifying old Delta Drill Press & need chuck key Larry Webb Metalworking 5 October 14th 03 03:53 PM
Need info re spindle taper and stuck chuck on Craftsman 150 drill press Bruno Woodworking 3 September 23rd 03 06:13 PM