R.H.

Default What is it? XLIV

Just posted a few mo

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Fred R

243 must be a nose hair trimmer.
--
Fred R
________________
Drop TROU to email.
jim rozen

In article , R.H. says...

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

245 is a drafting scale, viewed end-on.

244 is one of those things they clamp on a guy's leg when he
gets married!

236 is a bicycle chain breaker.

please reply to:
Bruce Bowler

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 09:45:11 +0000, R.H. put fingers to keyboard and said:

Just posted a few mo

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

236 is a tool for taking apart/reassembling bicycle chains

238 is a can opener

247 looks sort of like a boot lace tightener

--
+-------------------+---------------------------------------------------+
Bruce Bowler | I'm so mean, I make medicine sick. - Mohammed Ali

+-------------------+---------------------------------------------------+

Leon

"R.H." wrote in message
Just posted a few mo

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

243. Insulation striper?
247. Isn't that used for picking up bails of hay?

Sportster4Eva

R.H. wrote:
Just posted a few mo

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Here's a couple guesses....

#236 is a bicycle chain breaker
#238 is a can opener... used to be "military issue"
#240 looks like an O-ring spreader
#242 is a disk brake caliper piston retractor tool.

Regards,

--
Paul
'91 XL1200

Steve Mulhollan

It's a battery clamp spreader.

#240 looks like an O-ring spreader

Puff Griffis

243: wire stripper
245: Some sort of ceramic tile spacer ?
246: A small gold slue ?
247: A tool to lift the lid off a cooking pot

"R.H." wrote in message =
Just posted a few mo
=20
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/
=20
=20
Rob
=20

Ray

242. The square peg that goes into round holes
243. Wire stripper
244. Colonian Christmas ornament
236. Chain breaker
238. Can opener
240. Hose stretcher

B.B.

In article ,
"R.H." wrote:

Just posted a few mo

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

242. Prototype Rubik's Cube. Only popular among auto mechanics.
243. Dunno, but got one in a Burger King Kids' Meal once.
244. Small wedding ring.
245. Logo from a club of seriously brutal nuns.
246. A better mousetrap.

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/

Mark and Kim Smith

#242 - disk brake caliper piston retractor tool
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog
#243 - looks like it will crimp banding strap??
#244 - counter weight for a scale??
#245 - a ruler for drafting. It will have different scales on different
sides.
#246 - possibly for truing wheels??
#247 - looks like the tool for stretching exhaust doughnuts.
John McCoy

"Puff Griffis" wrote in
:

246: A small gold slue ?

A sluice, you mean? I don't think it is...at first glance, it might
be some sort of dry-washer, but when you look at the additional
pictures it's clear it has a bunch of drawers underneath, and I can't
see how that be useful to a dry-washer (or a grain winnowing tool,
etc).

My guess is it's some sort of artists traveling rig, a combination
of a folding easel and tacklebox for paints, brushes, etc.

John
R.H.

"Bruce Bowler" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 09:45:11 +0000, R.H. put fingers to keyboard and said:

Just posted a few mo

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

236 is a tool for taking apart/reassembling bicycle chains

238 is a can opener

These two are correct.

247 looks sort of like a boot lace tightener

That's not what it was marked, but could be correct. Though what was on the
tag is in the same ballpark as your answer.

R.H.

"Leon" wrote in message
. com...

"R.H." wrote in message
Just posted a few mo

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

243. Insulation striper?

Possibly, I'm not sure on this one. The only markings on this tool is the
number 10 and the letter V.

247. Isn't that used for picking up bails of hay?

Nope.

R.H.

#236 is a bicycle chain breaker
#238 is a can opener... used to be "military issue"

Both correct.

#240 looks like an O-ring spreader

Nope

#242 is a disk brake caliper piston retractor tool.

Correct again

R.H.

"Steve Mulhollan" wrote in message

It's a battery clamp spreader.

Correct.

R.H.

"Puff Griffis" wrote in message
243: wire stripper

Probably, as I mentioned previously, the number 10 is marked on this tool,
possibly for 10 gauge wire or metal plate. I don't have samples of either
to see if they fit. Also, this one was found in the same tool box as the
crimper in photo #237.

245: Some sort of ceramic tile spacer ?

Nope

246: A small gold slue ?

Not sure...

247: A tool to lift the lid off a cooking pot

Nope

Rick Stein

R.H.

"Ray" wrote in message
oups.com...
242. The square peg that goes into round holes
243. Wire stripper

Probably

244. Colonian Christmas ornament

I don't know what this weight is for...

236. Chain breaker
238. Can opener

Both correct.

240. Hose stretcher

Nope

R.H.

#242 - disk brake caliper piston retractor tool

#243 - looks like it will crimp banding strap??

I don't know if this is a crimper or a stripper. My initial thought was
that it's a crimper but I don't know what it would be used for exactly.

#244 - counter weight for a scale??

Most likely, but hard to say for sure.

#245 - a ruler for drafting. It will have different scales on different
sides.

This answer is correct.

#246 - possibly for truing wheels??

Not sure

#247 - looks like the tool for stretching exhaust doughnuts.

Nope

R.H.

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , R.H. says...

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

245 is a drafting scale, viewed end-on.

Yes

244 is one of those things they clamp on a guy's leg when he
gets married!

Looks like one...

236 is a bicycle chain breaker.

Correct.

R.H.

news
Rivoli pin extractor for disassembling a bicycle chain

Correct

r payne

R.H. wrote:
Just posted a few mo

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

247 is a hook for pulling on cowboy boots. there is a loop at the top
of the boot, the hook goes in that and you pull up with the handle

Wood Butcher

245 is an end view of an architects scale.

247 is for pulling on boots, esp. those pointy
toed cowboy types.

Art

"R.H." wrote in message
Just posted a few mo

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

R.H.

"r payne" wrote in message
oups.com...

R.H. wrote:
Just posted a few mo

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

247 is a hook for pulling on cowboy boots. there is a loop at the top
of the boot, the hook goes in that and you pull up with the handle

Correct, it's a boot puller.

R.H.

"Wood Butcher" wrote in message
245 is an end view of an architects scale.

247 is for pulling on boots, esp. those pointy
toed cowboy types.

Both of these answers are correct.

Michael Mendelsohn

"R.H." schrieb:
Just posted a few mo
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Semi-serious:

#242 an artefact
#243 ticket puncher for use by conductors (bus etc.)
#244 screwed onto a chain, it allows the end of the chain to be
padlocked. It would be needed in a miner's dressing hall: instead of
using lockers, the miners pulled their bundles up under the high hall
roof (using a pulley, of course) and secured the line end down below, so
noone could get at their bundle.
#245 is pictured on photo #228 as well.
#246 a small printing press? with the typeface in the drawers?
#247 a handle

Done!
Michael
--
Still an attentive ear he lent Her speech hath caused this pain
But could not fathom what she meant Easier I count it to explain
R.H.

"Michael Mendelsohn" wrote in message
. ..

#242 an artefact

Can't argue with that...

#243 ticket puncher for use by conductors (bus etc.)

Nope

#244 screwed onto a chain, it allows the end of the chain to be
padlocked. It would be needed in a miner's dressing hall: instead of
using lockers, the miners pulled their bundles up under the high hall
roof (using a pulley, of course) and secured the line end down below, so
noone could get at their bundle.

One of many possible uses.

#245 is pictured on photo #228 as well.

Yes

#246 a small printing press? with the typeface in the drawers?

If there were more divisions in the drawers this would seem more likely

Greg O

"R.H." wrote in message
Just posted a few mo

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

242 Disk brake piston retractor tool

243 plastic cable tire cutter?

245 End on view of a draftsman/engineer's ruller!!

247 For help pulling on western/work boots

Greg

Mark & Juanita

#243: Wire stripper for wire-wrap wire

#245: Boat anchor (?)

#246: Artist's easel with paint storage case (?)

Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry

B.B.

In article
,
"B.B." u wrote:

In article ,
"R.H." wrote:

Just posted a few mo

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

242. Prototype Rubik's Cube. Only popular among auto mechanics.
243. Dunno, but got one in a Burger King Kids' Meal once.
244. Small wedding ring.
245. Logo from a club of seriously brutal nuns.
246. A better mousetrap.

Oops! Missed one.

247. Used by very fat men to pull up their zippers.

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/
R.H.

"Greg O" wrote in message

"R.H." wrote in message
Just posted a few mo

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

242 Disk brake piston retractor tool

Correct.

243 plastic cable tire cutter?

Still researching this one

245 End on view of a draftsman/engineer's ruller!!

247 For help pulling on western/work boots

Both correct

#243: Wire stripper for wire-wrap wire

Could be...

#245: Boat anchor (?)

Too small for that

#246: Artist's easel with paint storage case (?)

Most popular guess so far.

Mike Dworetsky

"R.H." wrote in message
Just posted a few mo

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

242 possibly a joining block part of a self-assembly furniture kit.

244 primitive 18th C. form of hand grenade? Handle is for throwing...

245 an engineer's or draughtsman's measuring scale, end-on.

246 most think it's an artist's easel, I think it may be a portable printing
kit without the lead type.

247 cowboy boot puller, but it looks also a bit like a tool for lifting up
water meter covers so the meter can be read. If you get a real "meter hook"
I hope I'll recognise it, though.

--
Mike Dworetsky

(Remove "pants" spamblock to send e-mail)

R.H.

"Mike Dworetsky" wrote in message
"R.H." wrote in message
Just posted a few mo

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

242 possibly a joining block part of a self-assembly furniture kit.

This one isn't for assembling furniture.

244 primitive 18th C. form of hand grenade? Handle is for throwing...

It appears to be made of solid metal.

245 an engineer's or draughtsman's measuring scale, end-on.

Correct.

246 most think it's an artist's easel, I think it may be a portable

printing
kit without the lead type.

I'm going to a large antique show this weekend where I'm going to ask some
of the old-timers about this one, they've come through for me a few times in
the past.

247 cowboy boot puller, but it looks also a bit like a tool for lifting up
water meter covers so the meter can be read. If you get a real "meter

hook"
I hope I'll recognise it, though.

Yes, it's a boot puller.

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
Just posted a few mo

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

242) Looks like a junction block for modular furniture of some form,
made out of 1" (or 25mm) square tubing.

243) Not really sure. It looks sort of like an early cable-tie
cinching and cutoff tool, but I don't see how this one would
do the cinching part. Perhaps if the block attached to the jaw
opposite the one carrying the cutoff blade moves backwards in
some way.

In any case, it is designed to cut off *something* which fits
through the slot at the end, and whatever it is, it must be
somewhat brittle, given the spacing of the cutoff-blade behind
the slot.

And -- given that it is compound leverage, it must take quite a
bit of force to cut off.

244) Looks sort of like something to keep critters from opening a
gate, while allowing any human with the requisite number of
hands to do so without trouble. It looks as though a hasp
similar to the one on top fits through the slot.

245) As an article which I stumbled across before I got to this one
said, it is the end of a draftsman or architect's triangular
scale. (Which style would require looking at the scales.)

246) I can't tell the material from the photos, or the details of
the uprights, but is some kind of trade-specific toolbox. I
might even consider it to be for a farrier, to use when shoeing
a horse, if the shoes could live on the cross-bar and the nails
and tools in the drawers.

247) Bootjack -- for engaging the loops at the top of cowboy boots
so you can pull them on without having to bend as much --
perhaps if you are old, or perhaps if a horse has recently
thrown you and your back is stiff. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Glenn

243 looks like the crimper used for railroad car seals. IIRC it was a lead
seal on a steel strap and got crimped to seal the doors. You would insert
an number die that crimped the origin number in the lead. Of course .. last
time I saw one I was about 8 years old so I could be mistaken