Default How can (multi-layer) sheet metal made?

I haven't had much luck in searching on how sheet metal can made. In
particular I want to make small sample sheets with a few layers of
metals or alloys. I know this can be done, because for example some
coins are made from 3 metal layers described as 'fused' or bonded
together.

Anyone have any idea or know any books on this subject of metals fusing
(not being alloyed, but just physically bonded together) together?
-Joe

eucyBruce

You may care to try a search on ** mokume-gane ** which seems to be the
name of the process you mention.

Just, if I read it right, a combination of heat (until it glows red and
sweats (?)) and pressure (bolted between a couple of heavy steel
plates) according to Tim McCreight's The Complete Metalsmith. Sounds
too simple but worth a try. Offhand, I suspect that bright shiny clean
and unoxidized metal may have the best chance of fusing o diffusing.

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

IIRC, US coin stock is laminated explosively. The layers of (clean) metal
are sandwiched between layers of explosive. When detonated, the effect is
to pressure-weld the metals.

(this seems to me not to be a process well suited to continuous
mass-production?!)

I don't remember if platens are used between the target and the explosive
composition.

LLoyd

wrote in message
oups.com...
I haven't had much luck in searching on how sheet metal can made. In
particular I want to make small sample sheets with a few layers of
metals or alloys. I know this can be done, because for example some
coins are made from 3 metal layers described as 'fused' or bonded
together.

Anyone have any idea or know any books on this subject of metals fusing
(not being alloyed, but just physically bonded together) together?
-Joe

David Deuchar

"eucyBruce" wrote in message
oups.com...
You may care to try a search on ** mokume-gane ** which seems to be the
name of the process you mention.

Just, if I read it right, a combination of heat (until it glows red and
sweats (?)) and pressure (bolted between a couple of heavy steel
plates) according to Tim McCreight's The Complete Metalsmith. Sounds
too simple but worth a try. Offhand, I suspect that bright shiny clean
and unoxidized metal may have the best chance of fusing o diffusing.

Ian Ferguson's book Mokume Gane gives good practical details. e.g. brass /
iron (steel) 750-850°C under pressure for 60 minutes in an argon atmosphere.
Some combinations are easy others are difficult or will not work.
For difficult or impossible combinations, explosive cladding or possibly
some friction welding processes are better options.

Thanks for the respones guys, never bothered to learn about explosion
welding before, amazing stuff. I guess the biggest hurdle is having it
atmoshere controlled. Anyone have links, particular advise on this or
have tried a atmosphere controlled setup in your workshop?
Thanks for the suggestion on the book, I will try to pick it up!

simple way to bend sheet metal? Saturday7 Metalworking 6 August 9th 04 01:22 AM
Sheet metal work - UK GB Metalworking 1 August 8th 04 07:48 PM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
Best place for sheet metal online? Terrence McCann Metalworking 2 September 25th 03 12:40 AM
Cheapistan Made Tractor Seat Requires Lots of Metal Working Leigh Knudson Metalworking 2 July 28th 03 04:20 PM