David Deuchar

"eucyBruce" wrote in message
oups.com...
You may care to try a search on ** mokume-gane ** which seems to be the
name of the process you mention.

Just, if I read it right, a combination of heat (until it glows red and
sweats (?)) and pressure (bolted between a couple of heavy steel
plates) according to Tim McCreight's The Complete Metalsmith. Sounds
too simple but worth a try. Offhand, I suspect that bright shiny clean
and unoxidized metal may have the best chance of fusing o diffusing.

Ian Ferguson's book Mokume Gane gives good practical details. e.g. brass /
iron (steel) 750-850°C under pressure for 60 minutes in an argon atmosphere.
Some combinations are easy others are difficult or will not work.
For difficult or impossible combinations, explosive cladding or possibly
some friction welding processes are better options.