Don Foreman

Default My BIG transformer free giveaway; PICTURES

On 9 Jan 2005 03:25:36 GMT, Ignoramus4718
wrote:

This transformer for free for taking for members of
rec.crafts.metalworking. The offer won;t last long. It weighs about
400 lbs. I know that I can easily deadlift 160 lbs, I can barely lift
it by one side, so, I figure it must be about 400 lbs.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/transformer/big/

I live near Naperville, IL. Write to ichudov At algebra DOT com.

I can hoist it into your truck.

If no one takes it, I will try to sell it on ebay. Will appreciate
suggesting what kind of auction title to choose etc.

That looks like a ferroresonant or "contstant voltage" transformer
because of the transverse steel between the windings. It would be
used in conjunction with oil-filled caps (like motor run caps).

For an explanation of how they work ...... ask Spehro G I've
read articles I thought I understood when I read them, but 20 minutes
later I was again clueless and still am.
Martin H. Eastburn

wrote:

[...]

Gosh - they were in every tube tester I trashed out. Had to have constant
AC for somewhat constant DC for the funky meter to be repeatable.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer
Gunner

wrote:

This transformer for free for taking for members of
rec.crafts.metalworking. The offer won;t last long. It weighs about
400 lbs. I know that I can easily deadlift 160 lbs, I can barely lift
it by one side, so, I figure it must be about 400 lbs.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/transformer/big/

I live near Naperville, IL. Write to ichudov At algebra DOT com.

I can hoist it into your truck.

If no one takes it, I will try to sell it on ebay. Will appreciate
suggesting what kind of auction title to choose etc.

Chuckle..thats not big. Thats sorta small actually. Now I have big
holding up some of my stuff.

Gunner

"The French are a smallish, monkey-looking bunch and not dressed any better,
on average, than the citizens of Baltimore.
True, you can sit outside in Paris and drink little cups of coffee,
but why this is more stylish than
sitting inside and drinking large glasses of whiskey I don't know."
-- P.J O'Rourke (1989)

Wild Bill

A transformer that size should be more than adequate for someone wanting to
make a good spot/resistance welder, and/or a multi-purpose unit including a
blade welder.

There have been numerous past discussions in RCM concerning the switching
and timing circuits for spot welders. Blade welders typically use a specific
amount of jaw travel and a microswitch mechanism.

WB

OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Free Custom Walkthrough Checklists for New Homes! customwalkthroughchecklists.com Home Ownership 3 July 27th 04 04:39 PM
Lint free rags? David P Woodworking 10 December 18th 03 10:23 PM
12 volt lighting transformer tips Paul Furman Home Repair 8 December 8th 03 09:56 PM