jtaylor

Default I know I'm cheap, but how...

do you sharpen a vegetable peeler? The kind with a curved blade and a slit
in the middle.

Yeah I could go out and buy another, but it bugs me - I thought I had copied
the angles just right and now it won't peel worth a damm and she gets that
look on her face....

Grab the end and give it a little squeeze (bend) so that the bevel that
appears flat digs in a bit.

Roger Shoaf

"jtaylor" wrote in message
do you sharpen a vegetable peeler? The kind with a curved blade and a

slit
in the middle.

Yeah I could go out and buy another, but it bugs me - I thought I had

copied
the angles just right and now it won't peel worth a damm and she gets that
look on her face....

Borrow your neighbors peeler and go into your shop. put the working peeler
under your magnifier and see hoe it works. Now look closely at your peeler
and see why it doesn't work. Adjust as necessary.

I suspect your peeler is ground such as the sharp part of the blade is not
getting under the peel. You might be able to burnish the edge you made
enough to make it effective.

I will also comment that you need to prevent her from getting that look on
her face at all costs. This policy will help getting her assent when family
funds are needed for your tool budget. Your mistake here was not testing
the thing before you let her have it back. You need to foster the illusion
that you know everything and that way when she shows the slightest hint of
dissent you can give her "that look" and she will realize that she is
foolish to doubt you and bend to your will.

Another idea is to swing by the thrift store and plunk down 50 cents to get
the same kind of peeler that you have. Now you know how to, sharpen the
thrift store peeler and trash the one you screwed up.

Use caution here however, as you already received "that look" so even if
your second attempt to resurrect the peeler makes it better than new, the
first time she nicks her knuckle rather than the carrot you will be blamed
and there is not much you can do about it, short of sending her a dozen
roses and taking her out to dinner that will cost you more than an angle
head for your milling machine.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

PrecisionMachinisT

"jtaylor" wrote in message
do you sharpen a vegetable peeler? The kind with a curved blade and a

slit
in the middle.

Yeah I could go out and buy another, but it bugs me - I thought I had

copied
the angles just right and now it won't peel worth a damm and she gets that
look on her face....

Both sides have clearance ground in--but the side opposite the one your
using is what sets your depth of cut, because its just being dragged along
with its blade pointing backwards in relation to your cutting stroke.

--

SVL

john

jtaylor wrote:

do you sharpen a vegetable peeler? The kind with a curved blade and a slit
in the middle.

Yeah I could go out and buy another, but it bugs me - I thought I had copied
the angles just right and now it won't peel worth a damm and she gets that
look on her face....

Buy a new one and switch the blade with the one you have...... Make sure
you hide/destroy all the evidence.

John
Phil Kangas

"jtaylor" wrote in message
do you sharpen a vegetable peeler? The kind with a curved

blade and a slit
in the middle.

Yeah I could go out and buy another, but it bugs me - I

thought I had copied
the angles just right and now it won't peel worth a damm

and she gets that
look on her face....

It's so easy you're gonna kick yourself. Choose a spoon with
a handle
end that will match the curve of the groove. Slide it back
and forth in
the groove till it "feels" smooth, on mine about 4 or 5
strokes will do it.
Since you have monkeyed with it more strokes may be needed
and
you may have to choose a spoon with a slightly smaller
radius to get
to the sharp edge. With a lot of use it won't cut opposite
hand anymore,
that edge gets rounded off too much.
Phil

Glenn

OMG! If you think ya got a look cause it wasn't sharp the first time just
wait till she sees her spoon with the end all bunged up LOL The concept
is a good one and I do a similar thing only I use a steel (for sharpening
knives) Just put the point in and slide it till the edge returns.
I am not trying to dis Phil here The idea works but the spoon will
suffer and that may cause you to suffer. Of course you could hide the spoon
I guess...

Glenn

"Phil Kangas" wrote in message
"jtaylor" wrote in message
[...]

Roger Shoaf

"Glenn" wrote in message
OMG! If you think ya got a look cause it wasn't sharp the first time just
wait till she sees her spoon with the end all bunged up LOL

When will you guys learn? You don't let her see the spoon, You place it
inside the garbage disposal while you give her a flower and tell her you are
the luckiest guy on earth to have a goddess like her for a wife.

She will find the spoon when she attempts to dispose of the potato peels in
the sink and she will blame herself. This is when you say "Worry not my
dear, I often have this effect on women" and then quicly leave the kitchen
and duck around the corner. This way you avoid the bruise from the potato
she will heave at you.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

John

jtaylor wrote:
do you sharpen a vegetable peeler? The kind with a curved blade and a slit
in the middle.

Yeah I could go out and buy another, but it bugs me - I thought I had copied
the angles just right and now it won't peel worth a damm and she gets that
look on her face....

I laughed a bit when I read this, then I read it to my wife. The
knowing look I got made me think......

I had a completely worn out peeler but a nice handle. I also had a good
peeler and a poorly designed handle. It didn't take too long to make
the two good parts work and throw out (on the metal pile of course) the
other parts.

Thanks....

John

Phil Kangas

A couple of years ago I wrote this little attempt at humor
called "spuds".
Enjoy, I hope...........;) Phil

Spuds
Some time ago while visiting my friend Dave his wife
Becky began to peel some potatoes. I noticed that she
was using a paring knife to do the job and I asked
why not use a peeler instead. A peeler? I've always
done it this way and I won't change! Ok, fine but
I thought it to be unusual anyway. Well, as time
passed I noticed other women doing it the same way
and it got me to wondering what is this all about!
I began to run a poll of sorts and it turns out that
an overwhelming majority of women do it this way!
Huh? I have a theory, just that, a theory, but I
now believe that it is one of those things Mothers
discuss with their daughters in those private top
secret meetings of their's and that is: Men are
notorious for not doing enough around the house
and suppertime is one of those daily events that
requires input from all concerned so in order to
get men to help you just pick up the paring knife
to peel spuds knowing that men love tools and are
peculiar about using them in the correct manner
and using a paring knife when a peeler is available
will drive them absolutely nuts! When the menfolk
comment on it you act insulted and insist that they
take over the job then to "do it right"! So ladies,
I'm on to you now and am exposing this conspiracy
as a trick to get us men to help! So guys, when
you see this being done just bite your lip or you
will be forever stuck with peeling the spuds! For
those who have already fallen for it you have my
sympathy but also my contempt for being such an
easy mark! I also think that women do know that
the potato peeler is a wonderful invention but it
was designed by a man to make life easier for
women and therein lies the rub, if men think this
way then they can peel the spuds themselves, we
women will have none of this sexist male chauvanistic
attitude and we will fight it for all time!
And so it remains to this day and forever.
I'm hungry, I'm gonna go get my Ekco Slip Proof,
Nee Action Peeler, Made in USA Pat. No. 2232940
and have some spuds ........... mmmmmm.
pdk

Grant Erwin

jtaylor wrote:
do you sharpen a vegetable peeler? The kind with a curved blade and a slit
in the middle.

Yeah I could go out and buy another, but it bugs me - I thought I had copied
the angles just right and now it won't peel worth a damm and she gets that
look on her face....

I do this all the time. I keep a coarse diamond stone in my knife drawer
and just give it a few licks right on the peeler flat. It works great. I
do the same thing for kitchen scissors. - GWE

Cheap UPS's Vortex3 UK diy 7 October 4th 04 08:02 AM
Cheap way of reducing dust in loft David W.E. Roberts UK diy 16 July 17th 04 10:04 PM
Cheap lathes any good? part 2 bob Woodturning 1 February 10th 04 11:08 PM
Cheap tools Maxprop Woodturning 0 February 8th 04 04:55 PM