Roy

Default Home brew scaled up version of HF V/H bandsaw

Well it may or may not be scaled up from a HF model as I have a few
that I have seen that I am taking into consideration on mnaking.
I could use a much larger capacity saw than I already have (HF model)
and see no reason in the world I could not make it as easy as I made
my 20" vertical bandsaw. Looking at a 10 x 12 or so in
size..........and I have mathicng pairs of nice cast iron already made
wheels in various widths and diameters that wil only need to be bored
to fit spindles and a stepped recess cut for the blade to ride
against.

I do have the capabiity to make quality cast iron or aluminum castings
large enough for the saw,. however I am leaning towards a saw made out
of weldments, as it would be quicker and easier overall, instead of
making a set of patterns and then the castings for a one of project,
the time it would take to make patterns I could have the saw finished
using weldments.

Pros / Cons to either..........other than ridgidity? Ridgidity shuld
not be an issue in all reality if weldments are done right......

What about power..........I have a heap of DC motors of good quality,
up to 3 hp. Would it be feasible to drive the worm and worm gear
direct with one or do yu think it shuld still be driven through a
pulley belt setup? How about direct drive to the motors shaft without
a worm gear setup? Probably not enough torque at low speeds, but then
again I do not know......Anyone have a source or a worm and worm gear
at the "right" prices?

Any ideas appreciated.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Glenn Lyford

I do have the capabiity to make quality cast iron or aluminum castings
large enough for the saw,. however I am leaning towards a saw made out
of weldments,

http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/ba...mpbandsaw.html
http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/bandsaw/saw1.html

http://www.lindsaybks.com/dgjp/djgbk/band/index.html

I thought I had a copy but I can't find it right now.

Typical Gingery, mostly bolted construction, some
welding. All belt drive. Looks like something you
could toss together with stock on hand. If I find
my copy I'll try to find & mention any critical
measurements or adjustments, but since you've already
built one bandsaw, and have an existing H/V to use as
a reference, I suspect you'll do fine. I suspect most
of what you want to know is shown in the second link
anyway...

And no, I've neither made one nor know of anyone who has.
--Glenn Lyford