Default Clausing 8520 vs BP

I have a J Head B'Port.

Work is offering up a Clausing 8520, one collet, and a little vice.

It's a nice looking little machine. If I didn't have the BP I would
jump on it in a heart beat. I already have a full set of M2 collets,
so that is not a concern.

Question: Does this little mill offer me anything that my Bridgeport
doesn't?

If I have something fixtured up on the BP I wouldn't have to move it
for a little job. I can't think of anything else.

JW

Gunner

On 14 Dec 2004 16:53:03 -0800, wrote:

I have a J Head B'Port.

Work is offering up a Clausing 8520, one collet, and a little vice.

It's a nice looking little machine. If I didn't have the BP I would
jump on it in a heart beat. I already have a full set of M2 collets,
so that is not a concern.

Question: Does this little mill offer me anything that my Bridgeport
doesn't?

If I have something fixtured up on the BP I wouldn't have to move it
for a little job. I can't think of anything else.

JW

What does NEED have to do with machine tool collecting? SPACE is of
more concern. If the price is low enough, they are great little
mills for fine work, aluminum, some drill press work and so forth. If
after 6 months you find you dont use it, or like it, simply sell it to
another less fortunate soul who isnt blessed with a BP.
No harm, no foul and it stays in the hobbyist community.

I needed my Gorton 016-a, like I needed another thumb. But find myself
bypassing the drill presses and going to it more and more, and if Ive
got something on the MillMaster, its great to be able to make a
fixture part or hold down etc on the lil (relatively speaking) Gorton.
And I know if it ever gets in the way, or doesnt get used, I can get
my money + out of it.

Gunner

"If I'm going to reach out to the the Democrats then I need a third
hand.There's no way I'm letting go of my wallet or my gun while they're
around."

"Democrat. In the dictionary it's right after demobilize and right
before demode` (out of fashion).
-Buddy Jordan 2001