Callum Finlayson

Default Re Metalcutting tool info sought

Hi Ed, thanks for your resonse.

If I may ask, what is the purpose of your inquiry? That may have an
influence on what information you can get.

I'm looking into improvements in cutting tool design and technology
(an area I know nothing about!) for some university related work, and
one of the aspects I also want to touch on is some rudimentary market
analysis, the info I'm seeking would therefore tend to touch on both
the technology itself and the market.

Thanks,

Callum
Ed Huntress

"Callum Finlayson" wrote in message
om...
Hi Ed, thanks for your resonse.

If I may ask, what is the purpose of your inquiry? That may have an
influence on what information you can get.

I'm looking into improvements in cutting tool design and technology
(an area I know nothing about!) for some university related work, and
one of the aspects I also want to touch on is some rudimentary market
analysis, the info I'm seeking would therefore tend to touch on both
the technology itself and the market.

Thanks,

Callum

University-type research should get you into a few doors. Here's a thought:
The most respected academic authority on cutting tools is Dr. Eugene
Merchant, who is still alive, I think, and who presides to some degree over
the manufacturing engineering department at Tempe (is that a U of AZ campus?
I don't know. It's in Tempe, AZ, anyway). If you got in touch with someone
in that department and told them what you're after, I'll bet they could help
you with some industry contacts who would tell you anything you want to
know. Gene is treated with great respect, and anyone he's connected with,
even third-hand, has a leg up.

I'd Google around and find out where he is, and contact some prof in that
department, which undoubtedly has inherited some of Gene's imprimatur in the
business.

I had some contacts of my own but they're all retired or dead. g Sorry I
can't get you in any doors myself.

Ed Huntress