Default Removing Timken Tapered Bearing From Spindle

I have a Sheldon WM56P lathe and have to remove the spindle for
maintenance. It has 2 Timken tapered bearings and when the spindle is
pressed out the rear bearing will be pressed off by the process of
removing the spindle. However, this leaves the front bearing still
pressed onto the front of the spindle. I of course need to remove the
bearing for cleaning and do not want to damage it.

Is there any tricks any one has to remove the bearing without using a
press and taking a chance of ruining the bearing by pressing on the
inner race? I cannot afford a new set of bearings for this lathe right
now.

Also, after the bearings are cleaned should I lightly oil the whole
bearing before re-installing it and running it back in? That way the
bearing does not start out unlubed?

Thanks, Steve

larry g

Steve
If your whole purpose of doing this is just to clean the bearing leave it on
the spindle and clean the whole thing. Yes you should oil the bearing well
before cleaning it. Also make sure that you have the correct gaskets on the
bearing retainers, and that they are installed correctly. Their is a small
notch in the bottom inside of the gasket to allow oil to move. Also while
you have the spindle out clean out the oil passages and the area around the
reservoir.
lg
no neat sig line

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a Sheldon WM56P lathe and have to remove the spindle for
maintenance. It has 2 Timken tapered bearings and when the spindle is
pressed out the rear bearing will be pressed off by the process of
removing the spindle. However, this leaves the front bearing still
pressed onto the front of the spindle. I of course need to remove the
bearing for cleaning and do not want to damage it.

Is there any tricks any one has to remove the bearing without using a
press and taking a chance of ruining the bearing by pressing on the
inner race? I cannot afford a new set of bearings for this lathe right
now.

Also, after the bearings are cleaned should I lightly oil the whole
bearing before re-installing it and running it back in? That way the
bearing does not start out unlubed?

Thanks, Steve

Charles A. Sherwood

maintenance. It has 2 Timken tapered bearings and when the spindle is
pressed out the rear bearing will be pressed off by the process of

I have heard there are two things you can do to bearings that greatly
improve them NOT!!!
1) sand blast them (this one is from RCM).
2) spin them dry with an air hose.