Tom Gardner

Leave the bearing alone unless it's bad or replace it. How much is a new
one?

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a Sheldon WM56P lathe and have to remove the spindle for
maintenance. It has 2 Timken tapered bearings and when the spindle is
pressed out the rear bearing will be pressed off by the process of
removing the spindle. However, this leaves the front bearing still
pressed onto the front of the spindle. I of course need to remove the
bearing for cleaning and do not want to damage it.

Is there any tricks any one has to remove the bearing without using a
press and taking a chance of ruining the bearing by pressing on the
inner race? I cannot afford a new set of bearings for this lathe right
now.

Also, after the bearings are cleaned should I lightly oil the whole
bearing before re-installing it and running it back in? That way the
bearing does not start out unlubed?

Thanks, Steve