Rhbuxton

Default rec.craft.metal more fun

Hi All,
This morning I set the computer to block all rec.crafts.metalworking entries
that contained the words gun, gunner, and cliff, what a difference it makes to
reading the newsgroup!!! If you haven't done so I really recommend it!
Rick
DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Rhbuxton wrote:
Hi All,
This morning I set the computer to block all rec.crafts.metalworking entries
that contained the words gun, gunner, and cliff, what a difference it makes to
reading the newsgroup!!! If you haven't done so I really recommend it!

Unless you are into MIG welding, in which case part of the
equipment is the spool *g*u*n*, and you would be missing those. Also
certain other things, like the tool for wire wrapping electrical
connections under power is a "wire wrap g*u*n".

I wish that we could convince them to not argue the topic. The
only ones who read the responses are those who wish to argue with them.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Joe

Unless you are into MIG welding, in which case part of the

....Or gun drilling which is sometimes the name used for the process used to
drill out the center of a tube, bar, etc. Sometimes called honing or
broaching depending on the size tube, hole pattern, etc.

Joe - V#8013 - '86 VN750 - joe @ yunx .com
Northern, NJ
Ride a Motorcycle? Ask me about "The Ride"
http://www.youthelate.com/the_ride.htm

Born once - Die twice. Born twice - Die only once. Your choice...

Have unwanted music CDs or DVDs of any type? I can use them for our
charity. eMail me privately for details. Donation receipts available.

Rhbuxton

MIG welding, in which case part of the
equipment is the spool *g*u*n*, and you would be missing those. Also
certain other things, like the tool for wire wrapping electrical
connections under power is a "wire wrap g*u*n".

Damn, you are right Don. But is this really too high a price to pay? I guess
it is, but it made reading the news group fun for the day!
Rick

Robin S.

"Joe" wrote in message
Unless you are into MIG welding, in which case part of the

...Or gun drilling which is sometimes the name used for the process used
drill out the center of a tube, bar, etc. Sometimes called honing or
broaching depending on the size tube, hole pattern, etc.

Why would you substitute "honing" or "broaching" for "gun drilling"? All
three are completely different processes.

Regards,

Robin

Joe

...Or gun drilling which is sometimes the name used for the process used
drill out the center of a tube, bar, etc. Sometimes called honing or
broaching depending on the size tube, hole pattern, etc.

Why would you substitute "honing" or "broaching" for "gun drilling"? All
three are completely different processes.

I wouldn't ever substitute those terms for gun drilling... But someone who
didn't have knowledge of the field might. It "looks" the same to them
because it makes a hole through something long.

Trust me, I get all types of questions at our shop where I quote a few dozen
pieces a day sometimes for drilling... One guy even asked for a "chicken
switch" rather than pneumatic or electronic limit switch on our unit. That
made me laugh for a while... Must have been from the chicken belt.
--

Joe - V#8013 - '86 VN750 - joe @ yunx .com
Northern, NJ
Ride a Motorcycle? Ask me about "The Ride"
http://www.youthelate.com/the_ride.htm

Born once - Die twice. Born twice - Die only once. Your choice...

Have unwanted music CDs or DVDs of any type? I can use them for our
charity. eMail me privately for details. Donation receipts available.

Robin S.

"Joe" wrote in message

Trust me, I get all types of questions at our shop where I quote a few
dozen
pieces a day sometimes for drilling... One guy even asked for a "chicken
switch" rather than pneumatic or electronic limit switch on our unit.
That
made me laugh for a while... Must have been from the chicken belt.
--

I know what you mean. I sell precision tools when I'm not building dies and
we get funny tool names and odd requests for tools daily. Keeps life

Regards,

Robin

Joe

I know what you mean. I sell precision tools when I'm not building dies
and
we get funny tool names and odd requests for tools daily. Keeps life
interesting.

Its one of the reasons I love going to work every day... You NEVER know
what you are going to get on the other end of the phone...

My favorite other than the chicken switch was a guy asking for a 9 spindle
drilling head for a Bridgeport... 8 in a bolt circle around 24" diameter
with the 9th in the center, running 50% slower and with through-the-tool
coolant. I answer the call and the first thing the guy says is, "Can I get
an amazing problem solver from you guys with 9 bits of drilling power?"
LOL!
--

Joe - V#8013 - '86 VN750 - joe @ yunx .com
Northern, NJ
Ride a Motorcycle? Ask me about "The Ride"
http://www.youthelate.com/the_ride.htm

Born once - Die twice. Born twice - Die only once. Your choice...

Have unwanted music CDs or DVDs of any type? I can use them for our
charity. eMail me privately for details. Donation receipts available.

Randy Replogle

"sittingduck" wrote in message
news:Xns95ADF030EA64Dduckrulestheuniverse@individu al.net...
It's even better if you filter out anyone with AOL

Why?
Randy

Gunner

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 13:49:43 GMT, "Randy Replogle"
wrote:

"sittingduck" wrote in message
news:Xns95ADF030EA64Dduckrulestheuniverse@individ ual.net...
It's even better if you filter out anyone with AOL

Why?
Randy

"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million
typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare.
Now, thanks to Web TV and AOL, we know this is not true"

Gunner

Come shed a tear for Michael Moore-
Though he smirked and lied like a two-bit whore
George Bush has just won another four.
Poor, sad little Michael Moore

Diogenes

Mike Henry

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
In article ,
Rhbuxton wrote:
Hi All,
This morning I set the computer to block all rec.crafts.metalworking
entries
that contained the words gun, gunner, and cliff, what a difference it
makes to
reading the newsgroup!!! If you haven't done so I really recommend it!

Unless you are into MIG welding, in which case part of the
equipment is the spool *g*u*n*, and you would be missing those. Also
certain other things, like the tool for wire wrapping electrical
connections under power is a "wire wrap g*u*n".

I wish that we could convince them to not argue the topic. The
only ones who read the responses are those who wish to argue with them.

And I wonder if anyone's opinion on the various subjects has ever been
changed?

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Joe wrote:

Trust me, I get all types of questions at our shop where I quote a few dozen
pieces a day sometimes for drilling... One guy even asked for a "chicken
switch" rather than pneumatic or electronic limit switch on our unit. That
made me laugh for a while... Must have been from the chicken belt.

Maybe the switch assembly is modular, and when it goes bad, you
just "pullit". :-)

Enjoy,
Don.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Mike Henry wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

[ ... ]

I wish that we could convince them to not argue the topic. The
only ones who read the responses are those who wish to argue with them.

And I wonder if anyone's opinion on the various subjects has ever been
changed?

I strongly doubt it.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Ken Davey

DoN. Nichols wrote:
In article ,
Joe wrote:

Trust me, I get all types of questions at our shop where I quote a
few dozen pieces a day sometimes for drilling... One guy even asked
for a "chicken switch" rather than pneumatic or electronic limit
switch on our unit. That made me laugh for a while... Must have
been from the chicken belt.

Maybe the switch assembly is modular, and when it goes bad, you
just "pullit". :-)

Enjoy,
Don.

**** Don - warn a guy will you?
Ken.

--
http://www.rupert.net/~solar
Return address supplied by 'spammotel'

SteveB

Someone wrote:

And I wonder if anyone's opinion on the various subjects has ever been
changed?

I strongly doubt it.

Enjoy,
DoN.

Once your mind is made up, there is no need for facts. Once you know it
all, there is no need for knowledge. Once you have your conclusion, it is
very easy to find statistics to support it. And once you are educated
beyond your capacity, there is no hope.

After that, all you need is a soapbox. Or a keyboard. And a reliable
source, like the water cooler, your brother-in-law, or Dan Rather.

And some idiots to bite on your troll bait.

Steve

Ted Edwards

SteveB wrote:

Once your mind is made up, there is no need for facts. Once you know it
all, there is no need for knowledge. Once you have your conclusion, it is
very easy to find statistics to support it. And once you are educated
beyond your capacity, there is no hope.

After that, all you need is a soapbox. Or a keyboard. And a reliable
source, like the water cooler, your brother-in-law, or Dan Rather.

And some idiots to bite on your troll bait.

Steve

Nicely put. Yours or ?

Ted

On 27 Nov 2004 02:30:06 GMT, ANSPAM (Rhbuxton) wrote:

Hi All,
This morning I set the computer to block all rec.crafts.metalworking entries
that contained the words gun, gunner, and cliff, what a difference it makes to
reading the newsgroup!!! If you haven't done so I really recommend it!
Rick

That is very much overkill and restricts information that you may
need one day.

I have a simple policy.

I use Agent, which downloads headers for my subscribed newsgroups
and sorts into threads. Those which interest me I read, the rest I
skip using the down arrow key. For example, if the header contains
"Bridgeport" there is a 99% chance I will not read it as I do not have
one, similar for other stuff.

If I see a post from some people - Harold, Don and many others, I
will most likely read it as I appreciate their knowledge and efforts
to help, even if I am not following that thread.

Gunner is a special case.
I consider him to be a valuable friend even though we will probably
never meet in person.
OK, I do not read a lot of his posts as they do not interest me, eg
guns, although when I lived in Africa I owned a Browning .32 auto. I
am not stupid enough to be anti-gun. Here I have no need to own a
gun ***. Gunner also puts OT in his headers - one always has a
choice whether to read or not, thanks Gunner - and if it sounds
interesting, I will read it and as a result have learnt many things I
would not have known without Gunner's prompt.
People who kill-file Gunner are cutting off their noses as he
contributes so much on-topic stuff and helps so many list members.

Everyone gets a couple of chances to be read and if like Cliff
contribute nothing sensible to me, then they just go into my mental -
too stupid, ignore, - list and on seeing their name I just go to the
else's comments. If I miss anything worth while, tough luck for me.

*** Reported crime statistics for Golden Bay, pop about 6000, suburb
of City of Rockingham. July burglary 1, August 0, Sept 2 and
that is it, mainly committed by opportunistic kids. I very often
forget to shut my front door at night in summer and often leave tools
out on the carport, lost nothing in the 10 years I have lived here and
the previous 5 years building the house .
Alan
in beautiful Golden Bay, Western Oz, South 32.25.42, East 115.45.44 GMT+8
VK6 YAB ICQ 6581610 to reply, change oz to au in address