On 27 Nov 2004 02:30:06 GMT, ANSPAM (Rhbuxton) wrote:

Hi All,
This morning I set the computer to block all rec.crafts.metalworking entries
that contained the words gun, gunner, and cliff, what a difference it makes to
reading the newsgroup!!! If you haven't done so I really recommend it!
Rick

That is very much overkill and restricts information that you may
need one day.

I have a simple policy.

I use Agent, which downloads headers for my subscribed newsgroups
and sorts into threads. Those which interest me I read, the rest I
skip using the down arrow key. For example, if the header contains
"Bridgeport" there is a 99% chance I will not read it as I do not have
one, similar for other stuff.

If I see a post from some people - Harold, Don and many others, I
will most likely read it as I appreciate their knowledge and efforts
to help, even if I am not following that thread.

Gunner is a special case.
I consider him to be a valuable friend even though we will probably
never meet in person.
OK, I do not read a lot of his posts as they do not interest me, eg
guns, although when I lived in Africa I owned a Browning .32 auto. I
am not stupid enough to be anti-gun. Here I have no need to own a
gun ***. Gunner also puts OT in his headers - one always has a
choice whether to read or not, thanks Gunner - and if it sounds
interesting, I will read it and as a result have learnt many things I
would not have known without Gunner's prompt.
People who kill-file Gunner are cutting off their noses as he
contributes so much on-topic stuff and helps so many list members.

Everyone gets a couple of chances to be read and if like Cliff
contribute nothing sensible to me, then they just go into my mental -
too stupid, ignore, - list and on seeing their name I just go to the
else's comments. If I miss anything worth while, tough luck for me.

*** Reported crime statistics for Golden Bay, pop about 6000, suburb
of City of Rockingham. July burglary 1, August 0, Sept 2 and
that is it, mainly committed by opportunistic kids. I very often
forget to shut my front door at night in summer and often leave tools
out on the carport, lost nothing in the 10 years I have lived here and
the previous 5 years building the house .
Alan
in beautiful Golden Bay, Western Oz, South 32.25.42, East 115.45.44 GMT+8
VK6 YAB ICQ 6581610 to reply, change oz to au in address