Doug Goncz

Default Milling 5/16 slots in 0.013 wall brass 21/32 tubing

For experiments with bicycle lighting, I have in hand six engineering sample
tubes, four of which are linear aperture in yellow. If I can get a clear
aperture tube, I intend to mask it with a brass sleeve, then add a lens.

I have a 5/16 steel die sinking mill.

I was thinking of filling the tube with plaster for support but will this wear
my cutter, and will I be able to remove the plaster after milling?

We have available a self-cleaning oven, chisels, and can get muriatic acid.

Oh, what am I saying? I should melt in some machinable wax, shouldn't I?

Ever hear of a quantum splitting phosphor? Two photons for the price of one....

I tolerance everything and tolerate everyone.
I love: Dona, Jeff, Kim, Kimmie, Mom, Neelix, Tasha, and Teri, alphabetically.
I drive: A double-step Thunderbolt with 657% range.
I fight terrorism by: Using less gasoline.

Harold & Susan Vordos

"Perry Murlless" wrote in message
Why not make some temporary seals for each end of the tube, fill it with
water, freeze it, mill it, defrost it??

Because the freezing water will change the size of the tubing, assuming it
can be well capped, and would start, almost immediately, to melt, leaving
the tubing with no support. Water expands too much upon freezing for that
to be successful, anyway Better choice would be a low temperature melting
alloy. Cerrobend, for example.

Using muriatic acid on brass leaches out the zinc. Bad idea.

Harold

Doug Goncz

I'm going to go ahead and do the part bare with webs to maintain the gap
against springing.

It's 4 3/8 long and I'll do 4 slots 1 inch long.

It's a light shield for an aperture fluorescent bulb used as a bicycle tail
light. The bulb is yellow.

You all have my thanks for the filler suggestions.

See post We Did It for news.