Ron Moore

Default Ebay Scam - Safeharbor Request

I just got the Safeharbor security verification notice. Just for fun, I
did a trace to the ip of megabank.com and found it went to "Bank
Internasional Indonesia" in Jakarta. One way to solicit funds, I suppose.
Respectfully,
Ron Moore

Norm Dresner

"Ron Moore" wrote in message
I just got the Safeharbor security verification notice. Just for fun, I
did a trace to the ip of megabank.com and found it went to "Bank
Internasional Indonesia" in Jakarta. One way to solicit funds, I suppose.
Respectfully,
Ron Moore

I get all kinds of phishing stuff regularly from "eBay" and "PayPal".
Sometimes from "CitiBank" too.

Best plan is to report them.

Citi's got one too but I can't find the address at the moment.

Norm

Peter A Forbes

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 13:22:57 -0600, Tom wrote:

Ebay must be getting bombarded with these, used to be if you sent one to the
"spoof" address you would get a verification note back. Not any more......they
must have given up on sending replies.
I got 2 "safe harbor" notes from Ebay yesterday, frequently get them from
Citibank, and lots from banks that I don't even have accounts with.

Tom

They still are, we have had a couple this last week plus one for PayPal, both
lots had replies, usually one immediately to acknowledge receipt and another one
a bit later to give the info about the email.

Peter

Nick Hull

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

Scott Moore

Tom wrote:

Norm Dresner wrote:

I get all kinds of phishing stuff regularly from "eBay" and "PayPal".
Sometimes from "CitiBank" too.

Best plan is to report them.

Citi's got one too but I can't find the address at the moment.

Ebay must be getting bombarded with these, used to be if you sent one to the
"spoof" address you would get a verification note back. Not any more......they
must have given up on sending replies.
I got 2 "safe harbor" notes from Ebay yesterday, frequently get them from
Citibank, and lots from banks that I don't even have accounts with.

Tom

Its because most companies have given up. The web sites are offshore, and of course
the foreign govenments involved could not care less (and probally think its boosting
their ballance of trade). Its not the worst problem for companies on the web, there
is also denial of service, which is rampant nowdays (it used to be mainly directed
towards Microsoft, but has been spreading to other companies).

There was a good article in the Wall st. Journal recently. Basically, companies on
the web, especially banks, expect there might be a consumer backlash as people give
up trusting the web at all.

My guess is that there will be a "validator" solution, probally pushed by Microsoft.
I like my solution better, which is to find phishers and provide them with free
of charge castrations. You don't really have to find very many phishers to see a large
dropoff in phishing that way.

--
Samiam is Scott A. Moore

Personal web site: http:/www.moorecad.com/scott
My electronics engineering consulting site:
http://www.moorecad.com
ISO 7185 Standard Pascal web site: http://www.moorecad.com/standardpascal
Classic Basic Games web site: http://www.moorecad.com/classicbasic
The IP Pascal web site, a high performance, highly portable ISO 7185 Pascal
compiler system: http://www.moorecad.com/ippas

Good does not always win. But good is more patient.
Cheryl and Rob

yeah Citibank's spoof looks GOOD too. As does eBay's. They aren't the
smuckin fartest...that's for sure!
"Ron Moore" wrote in message
I just got the Safeharbor security verification notice. Just for fun, I
did a trace to the ip of megabank.com and found it went to "Bank
Internasional Indonesia" in Jakarta. One way to solicit funds, I suppose.
Respectfully,
Ron Moore

ebay sucks big time anthony james UK diy 1 July 30th 04 07:28 PM
WARNING ! New ebay email scam ! Or should I say newest version of an old one Puff Griffis Woodturning 0 February 8th 04 02:22 AM
WARNING - PHONEY EBAY E-MAIL T. Woodworking 19 January 3rd 04 06:35 PM
eBay Scam Marv Soloff Metalworking 5 December 31st 03 01:16 PM
OT - Lightweight Ebay shipping fee scam Jim Stewart Metalworking 11 July 20th 03 12:41 PM