Wild Bill

Default 115V 3 Phase motor controller - A. O. Smith

Yeah, it sounds unlikely to me, but I found this used motor controller at a
hamfest yesterday. I didn't read the label until later, and was surprised to
see this..

A. O. Smith Electronics
ECM Controller (manufactured 1990, maybe)
Model 1287A

For use with motor Model D48SE4V1

Input: 115VAC 1PH 13A
Output: 0-115VAC 3PH 10A

approx. 6-1/2" square x 4" height, with heatsink

If anyone has any info about this item, I'd really appreciate the comments.
I'd be interested in finding a connection diagram, or the motor that's
shown.
I'll email Smith, but don't anticipate an informative reply.

Thanks
WB

Wild Bill

Thanks for the additional info Ned. The text on that site is all scrambled,
just like another site that I've tried to view a few times lately. I emailed
the other site's webmaster to find out why the page is displayed so poorly,
but didn't get a reply.

Just by chance, I found an eBay auction that I think is the source of the
scrambled info, Emerson 115V 3 PH motor being sold by MECI in Ohio, and
this is the same model motor with the same features that are mixed into the
scrambled text.

WB

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
Yeah, it sounds unlikely to me, but I found this used motor controller

at a
hamfest yesterday. I didn't read the label until later, and was

surprised to
see this..

A. O. Smith Electronics
ECM Controller (manufactured 1990, maybe)
Model 1287A

For use with motor Model D48SE4V1

Input: 115VAC 1PH 13A
Output: 0-115VAC 3PH 10A

approx. 6-1/2" square x 4" height, with heatsink

If anyone has any info about this item, I'd really appreciate the

comments.
I'd be interested in finding a connection diagram, or the motor that's
shown.
I'll email Smith, but don't anticipate an informative reply.

Emerson also made some low end drives in the late 80s to
early 90s that mated with 115V 3-phase motors. The 1HP
motor was p/n 3208-0407. This page mentions one among all
kinds of gibberish.

http://www.mailameal.com/dyn/d2011.2...6.commerial.du
ty.air.compressor.motor.230v.cms

Ned Simmons

Brian Lawson

Hmmmm....

It should be noted that A.O.Smith owned many many "other" companies,
or divisions as they were called, including Armor Elevator at one
time, and many of these other companies/divisions made parts for
Armor. Although I don't recall a use or definite purpose there, I
could see many uses for relatively low HP lower voltage, even variable
freq, three phase motors in an elevator system, from advancers in
selectors to drives to door operators. And without recollecting the
different types of motion control (Armor was well over thirty years
back for me), it may even be possible that it was part of the speed
controller in a Ward-Leonard loop used in an MG system of DC hoist
motor drive control, where input currents are relatively low, as this
label reads. Just a thought.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

A. O. Smith Electronics
ECM Controller (manufactured 1990, maybe)
Model 1287A

For use with motor Model D48SE4V1

Input: 115VAC 1PH 13A
Output: 0-115VAC 3PH 10A

approx. 6-1/2" square x 4" height, with heatsink

If anyone has any info about this item, I'd really appreciate the comments.
I'd be interested in finding a connection diagram, or the motor that's
shown.
I'll email Smith, but don't anticipate an informative reply.

Wild Bill

Thanks Brian.. I also discovered that beside the water heaters that they're
commonly recognized for, they have/produce motors for various applications
including pumps and blowers/fans.

WB

news