Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default where's all the political slagging-match gone?!

Hi all
I always thought of the political slagging matches on here - the
"off-topic" posts - were a nuisance - "signal" on the group being less
than 1/100th part of the "noise" - even though what "signal" there was
was high quality.
Wondered how long the newsgroup could keep going.
Now the feed I am getting from r.c.m. has gone quiet.
Surely Americans haven't suddenly started accepting anyone who isn't
identical to themselves????????????? With caveat "And God makes me
right"...
Oh well, strange times.

For anyone interested in technical questions - can anyone identify /
tell me about this fatigue-testing machine?

It's at the University of Ibague in Columbia (the nation in South
America), and the results they get certainly look both right and good.

(PDF download)
https://www.researchgate.net/publica..._and_Weld_Size
(online)

seen as "Figure 3" in both versions - PDF download and online

They list things like "pulley sizes" and so on - it's some kind of
purely mechanical device (?)
Completely unfamiliar to me.
I'm interested, because they are doing a lot for not a lot.

(Article:
"Weld Magnification Factor Approach in Cruciform Joints Considering
Post Welding Cooling Medium and Weld Size"
Oscar Araque and Nelson Arzola)

Best wishes,
Rich Smith
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Richard Smith" wrote in message ...

The only thing I can add is that these allow you to measure and record (on a
PC) temperature up to 1260C.
https://www.amazon.com/Tekpower-TP40.../dp/B000OPDFLM

Wood stove gasket cement tames the extreme tendency of high temperature
braided fiber insulation to unravel. 24 gauge is less annoyingly springy
than larger sizes and adequate for brief experiments. If it burns out it can
easily be renewed by cutting shorter and welding the ends together with
acetylene.

I have no experience with strain gages, and my only professional experience
with tensile strength testing was an after-school job in the lab of a
leather factory. They were trying to find synthetic substitutes for
industrial leather products, which was surprisingly difficult.