Jim C Roberts

Default Now for a real question for the group.

Greetings all,

If I am still allowed, after my little brain fart earlier today (see
post below), I have a serious question for the group.

I have been asked by a customer to assist them in prototyping a dump
hopper for their product, approx. 2500 lb boxes of plastic pellets.
My questions regard the use of linear actuators and light curtains. I
would appreciate any basic information anyone can provide, links to web
sites would be fine provided it is not terribly technical. I have looked at
a couple of sites dealing with the light curtains and got a headache trying
to go threw their pdf files.
The linear actuators are very new to me, all I really think I know is that
they are basically electric pistons. Is that a fair assumption? The
customer mentioned using pneumatics, but I suggested the actuators as a
cheaper/easier solution. No hoses to burst, fluid to check the level of,
pumps to burn out/run over etc. This equipment will have to be extremely
idiot/gorilla proof, due to the presence of forklifts and, shall we say,
some of the duller tools in the shed, hence the concerns for the pneumatics.
As for the light curtains, I will be using them to make sure the forklift
is out of the way.

Thanks in advance for any and all input,
Jim

williamhenry

I have a customer at work that uses several dumpers to tilt up boxes of
plastic pellets for feeding the main system that supplies 35 injection
molding machines the colorant plastic

these tilt up on the corner , I can get you the name if you wish , they are
pretty cheap

Old Nick

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 22:08:53 -0400, "Jim C Roberts"
jimnthem_AT_comcast_DOT_net vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Greetings all,

If I am still allowed, after my little brain fart earlier today (see
post below),

The really funny thing is that your "message below" is _above_ this
one on my machine GG
I know I am wrong about just about everything. So I
am not going to listen when I am told I am wrong about
the things I know I am right about.
Leo Lichtman

"Old Nick" wrote: I know I am wrong about just about everything. So I am not
going to listen when I am told I am wrong about the things I know I am right
about.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I was only wrong once. That was when I thought I was wrong and I wasn't.

Old Nick

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 04:31:24 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

"Old Nick" wrote: I know I am wrong about just about everything. So I am not
going to listen when I am told I am wrong about the things I know I am right
about.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I was only wrong once. That was when I thought I was wrong and I wasn't.

hehe.
I know I am wrong about just about everything. So I
am not going to listen when I am told I am wrong about
the things I know I am right about.

Jim C Roberts

William,

I would appreciate the name of the dumpers, if nothing else I can compare
what we have "designed" to what they use.

Anyone else got any info on the actuators? I am really stuck on their
use.

Thanks,
Jim

"williamhenry" wrote in message
. ..
I have a customer at work that uses several dumpers to tilt up boxes of
plastic pellets for feeding the main system that supplies 35 injection
molding machines the colorant plastic

these tilt up on the corner , I can get you the name if you wish , they

are
pretty cheap

williamhenry

will post it up on Saturday

Ken Sterling

William,

I would appreciate the name of the dumpers, if nothing else I can compare
what we have "designed" to what they use.

Anyone else got any info on the actuators? I am really stuck on their
use.

Thanks,
Jim

"williamhenry" wrote in message
I have a customer at work that uses several dumpers to tilt up boxes of
plastic pellets for feeding the main system that supplies 35 injection
molding machines the colorant plastic

these tilt up on the corner , I can get you the name if you wish , they

are
pretty cheap

Dumpsters I've seen advertised have a curved "spiked" frame on each
side which lets the dumpster tilt forward, using the spikes going into
holes in the base frame to keep it aligned and under control while
dumping. Surplus center has a bunch of different types of actuators
which is basically a motor rotating a threaded rod inside of a worm
nut - some designs have a good bit of power, and can be had in
different voltages. Very similar to the actuators they used to use on
satellite dishes to "scan the arc".
HTH
Ken
Ned Simmons

In article , "Jim C
Roberts" jimnthem_AT_comcast_DOT_net says...

William,

I would appreciate the name of the dumpers, if nothing else I can compare
what we have "designed" to what they use.

Google on "gaylord dumper" or some variation. Those big
boxes on a pallet are called Gaylords. Here are couple
examples...

http://www.imscompany.com/webpage_03.asp?id=37
http://www.unscramblers.com/gaylord.htm

Ned Simmons