RainLover

Default guesses on what type of Stainless Steel....

Okay... here's the setup:

I Bought a 6' diameter stainless steel tank from a local scrap yard.
I got it for an incredible price because there was a foot thick, VERY
dense foam lining it that I needed to use a chainsaw to cut before I
could break it out....

This tank had been drop tested and had dents on the top with '1st
drop, 2nd drop... etc and the height dropped from on it...

When I got out all the foam, written on the inside were the words
"Nuclear Packaging". The scrap yard had checked it with they geiger
counter and it read ZERO... so that's okay.

MY QUESTION:
What sort of Stainless Steel would you guess this to be? I'm creating
a couple of sculptures from the material and would like to use the
proper welding rod... I'll go with 309 barring a good guess of
something else.

Thanks!

James, Seattle (port orchard), Washington, USA, Earth
JohnV

RainLover wrote:

[...]

My crystal ball said 348

Ernie Leimkuhler

In article , RainLover
wrote:

[...]

304 is he most common SS used for tanks.
Could be 316 though.
Difficult to tell without a cut test to compare it.

309 would be a safe choice for filler rod.
Mark

"RainLover" wrote in message
Okay... here's the setup:

I Bought a 6' diameter stainless steel tank from a local scrap yard.
I got it for an incredible price because there was a foot thick, VERY
dense foam lining it that I needed to use a chainsaw to cut before I
could break it out....

This tank had been drop tested and had dents on the top with '1st
drop, 2nd drop... etc and the height dropped from on it...

When I got out all the foam, written on the inside were the words
"Nuclear Packaging". The scrap yard had checked it with they geiger
counter and it read ZERO... so that's okay.

Were there batteries in the geiger counter? :-)

MY QUESTION:
What sort of Stainless Steel would you guess this to be? I'm creating
a couple of sculptures from the material and would like to use the
proper welding rod... I'll go with 309 barring a good guess of
something else.

My guess in 316 stainless. For many years I have been on a committee to
produce ductile iron nuclear storage or transportation casks, as has been
done in Europe for 25+ years. They are relatively inexpensive (compared to
S.S.) and a proven method. We are always told we are competing against 316
stainless. International Nickel Co. used to be a proponent of the stainless
steel due to the Nickel content.

Here is a web page showing some of the casks:

http://www.trex-center.org/casks.asp

No ductile iron ones though. Always gets shot down by Congress, etc.
Ductile iron casks have met all the criteria that have been put forth for
drop tests, puncture, fire, water, impact, etc. There is even an ASTM
standard to produce them. The problem is the _perception_ that ductile iron
is brittle, because as soon as you mention the work "iron" an "casting"
together that's what a lot of people perceive.

Problem is the cost of Nickel will remain high for many years because
there's not enough capability to produce the amount of Nickel needed if we
made all the needed casks.

Mark

Martin H. Eastburn

RainLover wrote:

[...]

My bet is it is safe. It was likely a layer of containment to protect from
mechanical problems in a crash during transport. If the internal didn't leak
Then all is well.

Now : I don't know your supplier. Nor their equipment. Being a Physicist, I tend
to guess the scrap yard has a yardstick quality instrument that can't measure
some stuff, but is more go no-go for the most part.

What I would do to sleep at night is this :

Buy some fresh color film. The faster the better - e.g. 400 or 800 ASA.
some 2 1/4 x 21/4 roll film. Camera store for this.
If they have Tri-X in black and white and can develop for you - ok.

Buy two rolls - develop in two stores or at two occasions. Tell them you want
the film and the film might be blank or near blank. Prints wanted on each.
Put the film inside the tank - still wrapped up on the spool - but no foil around the
film. Then after a single role is developed :

Look for pin holes e.g. black dots on the film and white dots on the paper.
General fogging indicates a larger exposure and the density strength

Remember - we are play-acting scientist here - If the first is slick clean - develop
the second roll. If slick clean - you are slick clean and ready for fun and games.

If the film is foggy or spotty you should get professional help to determine threat.
My bet there isn't. The local health department might be able to give you a simple
test with their machine - far better than the one at the steel supplier...

Martin [ Suggesting some ideas I would do in this position, not telling what should be done ]

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer

Gunner

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 04:16:47 GMT, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

If the film is foggy or spotty you should get professional help to determine threat.
My bet there isn't. The local health department might be able to give you a simple
test with their machine - far better than the one at the steel supplier...

Martin [ Suggesting some ideas I would do in this position, not telling what should be done ]

Excellent synopsis and a good plan. On the other hand, I personally
would simply take out my Victoreen CDV 700-3 and see what kind of
rocking and rolling the meter shows.

Being a survivalist has its advantages G

These turn up rather often

http://www.galleria-e.com/cgi-bin/Co...product/357401

Gunner
No 220-pound thug can threaten the well-being or dignity of a 110-pound
woman who has two pounds of iron to even things out. Is that evil?
Is that wrong? People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence,
they're begging for the rule of brute force, when the biggest, strongest
animals among men were always automatically "right". Guns end that,
and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make
it work.
- L. Neil Smith
RDF

Don't the Victoreen's have a slow report time? to the avg. of five min. to
sample stationary?? I have one too but I don't know the facts.

Thanks to you both,
Rob
wrote:

[...]

Gunner

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 14:43:06 -0500, "RDF"
wrote:

Don't the Victoreen's have a slow report time? to the avg. of five min. to
sample stationary?? I have one too but I don't know the facts.

Not to my knowledge. Every time Ive used mine, response time has been
in the fractions of a second range from exposing source to read on the
needle/sounds in the headset.

They are of course un calibrated, but for simply seeing if there is
activity where there should not be..hard to beat them.

Gunner

Thanks to you both,
Rob
.. .

Stainless steel pipes. Mark UK diy 5 December 19th 03 10:48 PM
Stainless Steel splashbacks Reestit Mutton UK diy 6 November 3rd 03 11:21 AM
Satin finish Fridge & Stainless Steel Appliances OK? calberto Home Ownership 1 September 8th 03 12:35 AM