Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Belt Grinders

Ok... I've talked about them before, but what is the advantage of a long
belt grinder over a short one. I imagine heat build up in the belt, but
you would have to do a lot of grinding I think for it to matter.

What made me think of it is I was just using my little 1x30 Harbor
Freight belt grinder to clean up some steel parts. I could have flipped
them over and decked them off on the mill, but the belt grinder did the
trick fast enough. As I was using it I was thinking I'd like to have a
big 2x72, but I don't necessarily want to invest the time to make one,
or pay the going rate for one. Then I was done. The little 1x30
removed the little .025 lip that was left behind after separating the
parts with the bandsaw and I was done.

I'm not sure I could have done them much faster on a big grinder. The
1x30 Zirconia 60grot belt made short work of it, and then the 120
aluminum oxide belt polished them up "good enough."

Am I missing something? I feel like the big 2x72 would only really be a
big benefit if I was standing in front of it for a while. Is that
right? Well, it would be more powerful, so it could take a wider bit I
guess.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
[...]

I tried a knife maker's 2" belt sander and concluded I could do as
well, as fast, with 4.5" and 7" angle grinders for free-hand roughing
and my 1x30" Delta for finishing. For many jobs a 4" wide belt sander
with a platen and guide fence, like I used at Mitre and Segway, would
be best.

FWIW I grind HSS lathe bits nearly to final form with the angle
grinder.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 20 Oct 2019 15:36:46 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

[...]

Mostly, the 72" length lets the belt cool down for knifemaking.
Like Jim said, the angle grinders with flap bits work pretty well for
dressing off rust and grunge.

--
There is s no such thing as a hyphenated American who is
a good American.* The only man who is a good American is
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

They do, but I also use solid flat and saucer disks to shape steel,
such as smoothing welds and rounding corners of machinery parts which
I'll be handling or could snag clothing. The advantages over a belt
are that I can see the surface and small fast-heating parts can be
clamped in the vise. The knife grinder didn't automagically do a great
job, that came from the skill and experience of the operator. I have
more experience making weld beads disappear than grinding blades.

I learned the hard way to be careful where the sparks go when grinding
a welded auto rust repair. The next day the car was freckled with tiny
brown spots that took a while to sand out. After that I used my
home-made welding blankets, canvas soaked in an alum and borax
solution, the old theatre curtain fireproofing formula.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I concure. I have a couple 1x 30 belt sanders here at home, along with
a 6x48. At work I have a 6x48, a Burrking 4x72 and a combination unit
8" grinder with a 4x58 belt sander. At home..all the small stuff goes
on the 1x30s..up to about 2" wide..at which point it goes to the 6x48

The 1x30s wear zirconium belts..one at 36 grit..the other at 120 grit.
That media lasts and lasts and lasts.

I buy most of my belts from http://www.barbkat.com/

For both at home and for my clients.

At work..the 4x58 gets most of my work. The BurrKing is my
favorite..but the long belts are pricey compared to the small ones and
there is really seldom any need for heat disappation for what I do. A
fair amount of cast iron prep prior to welding/brazing and such.

I have a few silicon carbide belts in various widths tucked away..but
hardly ever need one.

Gunner
__

"Poor widdle Wudy...mentally ill, lies constantly, doesnt know who he is, or even what gender "he" is.

No more pathetic creature has ever walked the earth. But...he is locked into a mental hospital for the safety of the public.

Which is a very good thing."

Asun rauhassa, valmistaudun sotaan.