Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Belt Grinders

I've accumulated a pile of misc junk with making a belt grinder in mind.
I already have a little 1x30 and its been quite useful. I use it more
than my bench grinder anymore. I want something with a little more umph
and speed control for different applications. Of course I could buy
something, but what's the fun in that.

Is there some inherent benefit or best compromise for the 2x72? It
seems to be the fad among the "must have" crowd, but I could just as
easily build a belt grinder for any available size belt. I'm not
building it with a single purpose in mind. More of a general purpose
tool. I've been debating a disc sander on it, but I rarely use the disc
sanders I have on my small belt grinders.

As an side, I've also started planning a simple one day build (I hope)
of a 1x30 pipe grinder attachment for an angle grinder. There have been
times I wanted a better finish, but didn't have enough material left to
take that heavy cut it required to get it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 6 Jun 2018 15:03:45 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

[...]

Im rather fond of my 6 x 48 sander (with 10" disk)

I have (2) of the standard 1x 30s, one set up with a med grit belt,
the other with a 120 zirconium but the majority of my rough grinding
gets done on the 6x48

https://photos.app.goo.gl/p1GkPgL0sTDEb9d92

It works nicely for me. I dont use the disk much at all. Never found
a need for it.

Several of my clients have both 2x72 and 3x 72 BurrKings..and I dont
much care for them, except for knife making..where they shine.

Gunner

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
news
[...]

The knife maker who taught the blacksmithing class I just finished has
a 2" belt sander that he can do beautiful work on, with structured
ceramic grit belts. My initial impression from using it for a few
minutes was that I could get the results I wanted almost as easily
from the 7" and 4-1/2" angle grinders and 1x30 belt sander I already
own, just not as fast. I like being able to see where the angle
grinder is cutting, which I can't do with the belt.

The 2" belt with interchangeable contact wheels has the advantage for
hollow grinding, for which the angle grinder is difficult to control.
For deburring fresh saw cuts I'll stick with my 1x30" belt sander that
I can move outdoors for clearance on large pieces.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I built one for my son. He likes it. You can find it on reddit or
imgur.

Pete Keillor