Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default STC Solenoid Valve - No Worky

I've got a couple 4 way solenoid valves made by STC (imported by STC)
that don't seem to work. 12VDC Model 4V310-1/4. They are NIB, but I
bought them quite a long time ago for the project I am currently working
on. I don't even recall who I bought them from, but they were not super
cheap nor excessively expensive. Around $40 if I recall.

I've used plenty of simple on-off solenoid valves in the past. They
just work. You hit them with the rated voltage and adequate current and
they reverse condition. Open/closed

When I hit these STC valves with 12VDC from a 12V battery (plenty of
current from a battery) they click and a red light turns on, but the
shuttle that changes the port connections of the valve doesn't move.

I'm looking at the installation instructions from STC right now on their
website, and I don't see anything that doesn't make sense. Is there a
setting or setup I am missing or do these valves just not work?

https://www.stc9.com/STC-DOWNLOAD/SOP-4V100-400.pdf

Yeah I dropped an email off to STC, but I am sure I won't hear back from
them before Monday at the earliest.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
[...]

Are you sure the battery is good? Old sealed AGMs can develop a high
internal resistance but still read above 12.6V on a voltmeter. A brake
light bulb is a good test load.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 21 Sep 2019 14:40:33 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

[...]

It's a pilot operated valve: the solenoid actuates a small valve that
controls the spool of the main valve with air pressure. If there's no
air supply, or inadequate pressure, the spool in the main valve won't
move. The triangle under the solenoid in the valve's schematic
represents the pilot.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

What does the triangle to the left of EA mean?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 21 Sep 2019 19:26:40 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Also the pilot. I'm not 100% sure, but I assume it means the pilot
operates in both directions, with a bias spring (the zig-zag on the
left) to hold the valve in the normal position when there's not enough
pressure to operate the pilot. In the schematic, all the actuators
(solenoid, spring, pilot) "push" the spool away from themselves.
Another clue that this is a pilot-operated valve is the fact there's a
minimum pressure shown on the labels in the pictures of the valves. A
direct operated valve would not typically have a minimum operating
pressure.

--
Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Hmmm.. I guess I am going to have to assemble a more complete test setup
for it then. I did put air to it and place a finger over the currently
active output port to provide back pressure for testing.

In the mean time I do have a 4 way manual valve that would do the same
job. It just requires more plumbing since I can't just run 2 wires to
the front of the machine for a push button.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message

Here's an inexpensive adjustable current sensing switch and indicator
that you might find useful in a control system.

https://tinyurl.com/y4lwzllg

I bought it to show if my refrigerator's compressor is running when a
thunderstorm approaches and I want to move the fridge plug from the
wall to isolated UPS battery power, immediately if it's off or after a
5-10 minute delay if it was running.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2019-09-21, Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

Well ... based on those instructions, the DC coils may be
sensitive to polarity. Obviously, AC coils cannot be so. :-)

It looks (from the photos) as though the 4-way has white and
black leads from the coil. The 3-way has red and black.

But it seems the Red and Black are for DC only coils, and the
White and Black is AC only. So it may be that there is a permanent
magnet in the DC valve, so polarity determines which way it tries to
move when connected. Black to minus and red to plus on the battery.

If both wires are the same color there is no polarity
sensitivity. So what colors are your wires?

Yeah I dropped an email off to STC, but I am sure I won't hear back from
them before Monday at the earliest.

I hope that this is some help -- but it is already Monday, so
unless they are slower, you should have already heard from them.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Ayup.

No flow/pressure..no movee.

__

"Poor widdle Wudy...mentally ill, lies constantly, doesnt know who he is, or even what gender "he" is.

No more pathetic creature has ever walked the earth. But...he is locked into a mental hospital for the safety of the public.

Which is a very good thing."

Asun rauhassa, valmistaudun sotaan.