Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default STC Solenoid Valve - No Worky

On Sat, 21 Sep 2019 14:40:33 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

I've got a couple 4 way solenoid valves made by STC (imported by STC)
that don't seem to work. 12VDC Model 4V310-1/4. They are NIB, but I
bought them quite a long time ago for the project I am currently working
on. I don't even recall who I bought them from, but they were not super
cheap nor excessively expensive. Around $40 if I recall.

I've used plenty of simple on-off solenoid valves in the past. They
just work. You hit them with the rated voltage and adequate current and
they reverse condition. Open/closed

When I hit these STC valves with 12VDC from a 12V battery (plenty of
current from a battery) they click and a red light turns on, but the
shuttle that changes the port connections of the valve doesn't move.

I'm looking at the installation instructions from STC right now on their
website, and I don't see anything that doesn't make sense. Is there a
setting or setup I am missing or do these valves just not work?

https://www.stc9.com/STC-DOWNLOAD/SOP-4V100-400.pdf

Yeah I dropped an email off to STC, but I am sure I won't hear back from
them before Monday at the earliest.

It's a pilot operated valve: the solenoid actuates a small valve that
controls the spool of the main valve with air pressure. If there's no
air supply, or inadequate pressure, the spool in the main valve won't
move. The triangle under the solenoid in the valve's schematic
represents the pilot.

--
Ned Simmons