Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Anybody have BobCad V17?

All-
I use BobCad version 17 almost every day to draw and write programs
for the lathe. It runs on an XP machine that is dying. It will not run
on newer operating systems. I bought a brand new industrial fanless
computer that runs XP and need to install V17 on it.
Anyway, I misplaced my V17 disc and BobCad says they no longer can
supply me with one. If someone here has a disc I would pay for a copy.
I am licensed and all so it would not be theft. Especially since after
installing on a new machine I will need to get the authorization
number from BobCad.
Thanks,
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message ...

All-
I use BobCad version 17 almost every day to draw and write programs
for the lathe. It runs on an XP machine that is dying. It will not run
on newer operating systems. I bought a brand new industrial fanless
computer that runs XP and need to install V17 on it.
Anyway, I misplaced my V17 disc and BobCad says they no longer can
supply me with one. If someone here has a disc I would pay for a copy.
I am licensed and all so it would not be theft. Especially since after
installing on a new machine I will need to get the authorization
number from BobCad.
Thanks,
Eric

*****************

At the risk of sounding paranoid, have you verified they will give you an
authorization number? They are an overtly mercenary company.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 1 Oct 2018 10:02:34 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

wrote in message ...

All-
I use BobCad version 17 almost every day to draw and write programs
for the lathe. It runs on an XP machine that is dying. It will not run
on newer operating systems. I bought a brand new industrial fanless
computer that runs XP and need to install V17 on it.
Anyway, I misplaced my V17 disc and BobCad says they no longer can
supply me with one. If someone here has a disc I would pay for a copy.
I am licensed and all so it would not be theft. Especially since after
installing on a new machine I will need to get the authorization
number from BobCad.
Thanks,
Eric

*****************

At the risk of sounding paranoid, have you verified they will give you an
authorization number? They are an overtly mercenary company.

Yeah Bob, they are pretty picky. I have transferred the software
several times. They have given me grief about me still using 17. I
have newer versions of BobCad but for 2D stuff I really like 17 and am
used to it. I can draw and generate programs very fast with it. Since
I never have 17 installed on more than 1 machine at a time they kinda
have to give me the authorization number. Once I tried installing it
on a portable hard drive so I could use it on a computer at home
during the evening but it didn't work. BobCad said that was not
allowed, it could only be be licensed for 1 computer at a time, not 1
hard drive. I think that's a ****ty attitude. Being able to transport
just the hard drive is lots easier than lugging a desktop computer
around.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 01 Oct 2018 09:58:17 -0700, etpm wrote:

All-
I use BobCad version 17 almost every day to draw and write programs
for the lathe. It runs on an XP machine that is dying. It will not run
on newer operating systems. I bought a brand new industrial fanless
computer that runs XP and need to install V17 on it.
Anyway, I misplaced my V17 disc and BobCad says they no longer can
supply me with one. If someone here has a disc I would pay for a copy.
I am licensed and all so it would not be theft. Especially since after
installing on a new machine I will need to get the authorization number
from BobCad.
Thanks,
Eric

I have V16. At least with that one, it is just ONE .exe file, and maybe
a font file. So, if the old machine still works, or even if the disk
works, you can get the file(s) off it and copy them over, and they should
work fine.

You can also run Bobcad on a virtual machine under either VMWare or
VirtualBox, it runs fine on them. (You will need to install a copy of XP
in the virtual machine.)

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2/10/2018 3:02 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:

At the risk of sounding paranoid, have you verified they will give you
an authorization number?Â* They are an overtly mercenary company.

I tried to get a new authorization number several years ago when I
migrated to a newer computer. They told me they didn't even have the
program to generate authorization numbers anymore! I don't believe them
myself, especially since they tried to up sell me. But V17 was just fine
for me too for 2D work.

Jon

---