Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Compressor Grenaded Internally

I haven't taken it apart to see exactly what the problem is, but its
four years old. A full year out of warranty.

An hour or so ago it started making an awful racket. It sounded
suspiciously like it threw a rod. I shut it down along with all the
machines dependent on it.

Diagnostic step one. I looked at the oil sight glass, and it showed
just below center. Figuring to see how much of its guts poured out I
cut the top off a soda can to catch the oil and pulled the plug.
Nothing came out.

As one of our members would say... Blink!!! Blink!!!

I looked at the sight glass again. The oil level looked the same. I
stuck an air nozzle in the drain hole (turned off the compressor, but
left the valve open) and blew thinking maybe it was plugged. A very
little oil came out and several chunks of metal.

I check the sight glass almost every day when I start up the air for the
shop. It never changed. I wonder how long it was running with
virtually no oil.

Well, I'm off to buy a new pump for it. I can't run without air.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 16 Apr 2018 14:29:54 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

[...]

What brand was it?

Ive learned over many years repairing machinery...NEVER trust the
sight glass if its the flush disk type. They can built up a layer of
crap behind the glass..which plugs off the lower hole..leaving the
sight glass filled with oil, like a deer on the wall...nothing behind
it.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/16/2018 2:29 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
I haven't taken it apart to see exactly what the problem is, but its
four years old.Â* A full year out of warranty.

An hour or so ago it started making an awful racket.Â* It sounded
suspiciously like it threw a rod.Â* I shut it down along with all the
machines dependent on it.

Diagnostic step one.Â* I looked at the oil sight glass, and it showed
just below center.Â* Figuring to see how much of its guts poured out I
cut the top off a soda can to catch the oil and pulled the plug. Nothing
came out.

As one of our members would say... Blink!!!Â* Blink!!!

I looked at the sight glass again.Â* The oil level looked the same.Â* I
stuck an air nozzle in the drain hole (turned off the compressor, but
left the valve open) and blew thinking maybe it was plugged.Â* A very
little oil came out and several chunks of metal.

I check the sight glass almost every day when I start up the air for the
shop.Â* It never changed.Â* I wonder how long it was running with
virtually no oil.

Well, I'm off to buy a new pump for it.Â* I can't run without air.

I finally got the new pump installed. Had to make a mounting plate,
then drill and tap for the new pump, then chase down the fittings, and
finally take the check valve out 4 times to try and repair it. Finally
I did the stupid easy o-ring repair. I know it won't last, but it
should last until I get a new check valve atleast. The plunger on the
check valve looks like PEEK. Kind of overkill for only 155 PSI.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 17 Apr 2018 19:50:58 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

[...]

Do an autopsy of the old pump and see why the oil issue was not
noticed

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 18 Apr 2018 07:16:55 +0100, Charlie+ wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for this thread and comments - gonna double check my sight glass
today by dip test! C+

I try to remember to flush out the crank case of air compressors at
least every 5 or so years. Drain, fill with diesel or kerosene, let
it run for 5 or so seconds, drain again and then refill with proper
compressor oil. Remember...NON detergent oils only..if you want to go
cheap and fill it up with a quality 40 weight motor oil and not get
raped by buying way overpriced "Compressor Oil"

Mobie 1 synthetic works pretty well also. But its pricey for a
couple quarts.

Gunner

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 18 Apr 2018 07:41:29 +0100, Charlie+ wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Thanks - thats properly useful information. C+

Jervelcome.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Ooh, good point. (Checked my sight glass with a tip o' the head to
see it move.) Yup, still good. Probably time to change it, too.

--
When a quiet man is moved to passion, it seems the very earth will shake.
-- Stephanie Barron